Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: About the background patches I made...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:20 pm 

I mentioned before here that I made a small rar with a few patches to change the color of the menus.

Until now, it only changed the "Ingame" and options menu. But I went back to look at the game again, and I discovered the offset colors for the shop menu, the textbox with the name of the places you enter, the dialog box, and all the battle related things.

With this I could do pretty much any color for the background...

Now I want to ask if anyone would want to request a color or something.

Post subject: Re: About the background patches I made...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Maeson wrote:
I mentioned before here that I made a small rar with a few patches to change the color of the menus.

Until now, it only changed the "Ingame" and options menu. But I went back to look at the game again, and I discovered the offset colors for the shop menu, the textbox with the name of the places you enter, the dialog box, and all the battle related things.

With this I could do pretty much any color for the background...

Now I want to ask if anyone would want to request a color or something.
I like the blue. Does it work with the patched ROM? When you get situated, maybe a few graphics in your readme would be a nice addition.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:42 pm 

Yes, this works with your translation! That was my intention. It's just that I didn't want to tinker with a copy of the game with your translation, in case it was seen as not very polite or rude.

Although your translation uses a few more color offsets than the japanese for the battle menus!
I can even change the letter's color, if it's needed:

I know the choices for the letters are horrible, but it's just to show that can be changed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:11 am 

those are impressive Maeson.. it's a shame someone couldn't hack the game's option menu and add in
options for your color changes (like slide bars that could change the background colors).. and another
option in the menu to switch background pic on/off.. OR simplify the background like ur other patch.

THAT would be an improved "OPTIONS" menu system :O

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:25 am 
Site Admin

Maeson wrote:
Yes, this works with your translation! That was my intention. It's just that I didn't want to tinker with a copy of the game with your translation, in case it was seen as not very polite or rude.

Although your translation uses a few more color offsets than the japanese for the battle menus!
I can even change the letter's color, if it's needed:

I know the choices for the letters are horrible, but it's just to show that can be changed.
Oh, shoot, Maeson... Relax. You're not being rude. We don't operate with a air of intimidation around here. Enjoy your project, and we'll probably incorporate it as a patch option when you have it fully developed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:05 am 

SylarDean wrote:
those are impressive Maeson.. it's a shame someone couldn't hack the game's option menu and add in
options for your color changes (like slide bars that could change the background colors).. and another
option in the menu to switch background pic on/off.. OR simplify the background like ur other patch.

Yeah, like other SNES rpg's do. Although that's kind of far from my skills, as i'm pretty noob, and I don't know if there is space for such a thing...

I'll try to do a version of this that mantains the artwork in the background, maybe with less darker colors so the letters don't blend with it.

Do you want to request a color?

Wildbill wrote:
Oh, shoot, Maeson... Relax. You're not being rude. We don't operate with a air of intimidation around here. Enjoy your project, and we'll probably incorporate it as a patch option when you have it fully developed.

I didn't have intimidation or something similar in my mind, it's just trying to be considerate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Maeson wrote:
SylarDean wrote:

Yeah, like other SNES rpg's do. Although that's kind of far from my skills, as i'm pretty noob, and I don't know if there is space for such a thing...

I'll try to do a version of this that mantains the artwork in the background, maybe with less darker colors so the letters don't blend with it.

Do you want to request a color?

Wildbill wrote:

I didn't have intimidation or something similar in my mind, it's just trying to be considerate.
It's been a pleasure having you, Maeson, and the others here who have elevated the energy level of the immediate post-release period of our patch. As such, with SylarDean's Sanctuary, your hacks, and everyone's bug reports, the resources for and the refinements of our English patch and its upcoming first revision are and will be greatly enhanced.

I know that many people who have operated inside our so-called translation community over the past eighteen years have exhibited very abrasive and hostile attitudes toward so-called "noobs" who show an interest and try to learn and participate in what we do. I'm just saying that our team never has and never will operate that way. We are all decent and fairly well adjusted people who just like yourself happen to enjoy RPGs. It just so happens also that we have been blessed with the wherewithal, fortitude, and special contributors to create a handful of English patches for games never before available in English.

So, you and everyone, don't ever feel you must walk on eggshells around here because you may have run into some twerps in other places on the net!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:46 pm 

I'll have that in mind.

I went back to the palettes and I made a smoother version of the original background & colors:

ImageImageImageImageImage

Now it should be a little more easy to the eyes while in the menu:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:21 pm 

Maeson wrote:
I'll have that in mind.

I went back to the palettes and I made a smoother version of the original background & colors:

ImageImageImageImageImage

Now it should be a little more easy to the eyes while in the menu:

Nice one Maeson.. really liking the backgrounds.. THO! im not liking the dark green one that much.. it makes it look like it has a foggy
or slight blurred effect to it.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:35 pm 

You may be right, I had the same feeling, but when you stare at the same thing so many times you start "derping" a little (It's even worse with Hex codes, lol).

Let's touch it a bit more:

Before:
After:

Does this look better? Of the original colors this one is the hardest because it's really saturated in comparison with the others. I'll try another tone.