Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: How in the world? Anway, Lost Players, Here's a Resource
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:45 pm 

Maeson wrote:
I like the normal background too, it's a very nice piece of ingame art, but if it makes harder for me to read I rather have a plain color. It happens with other RPG's where the background are this really harsh "textures" of wood or rock or whatever... Maybe it's just me.

About your other comment, I like the writing in this translation, and it made me smile with the ton of references it makes...

Is a fantastic work.

...But I must confess I feel the same about the nazi moment. Even if nazis have been a staple of humor since at least The Producers in 1968 (Hell, Springtime for Hitler is one of my favourite "over the top" things ever), I find it a little out of place, and somewhat of a mood changer for me, finding a reference to "awful things" in a cartoony fantasy world that was supposed to be a little more innocent (although it pulls a few "earthbound-like" moments too, where they drop something more serious from time to time).

It's just a big contrast with other serious moments like the fights with Dogler or Zenim where bad things are happening to people, the game still throws silly bits. The Jeffersons comment made me laugh comming from a bad guy (Don't underestimate the power of cheese!), and I swear Great Gnome makes a "Gotta Go Fast" parody while he's sick.

On the other hand, I think we should respect their choice of words too, because after all, it's their translation and they have the last word.

Well, im not being disrespectful to the translators, it's just my opinion, and YES i totally agree the translation story is VERY WELL written, its a great triumph for DD.. but im sure they could have come up with something better than Nazi's/Communists just for that little bit.. lol.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:08 pm 

I wasn't trying to sound like you're disrespectful! If I were I would be a hypocrite then, because I feel the same way, after all.

Sorry if it looked like it. It's just that I usually try to see a bigger picture.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
Maeson wrote:
I like the normal background too, it's a very nice piece of ingame art, but if it makes harder for me to read I rather have a plain color. It happens with other RPG's where the background are this really harsh "textures" of wood or rock or whatever... Maybe it's just me.

About your other comment, I like the writing in this translation, and it made me smile with the ton of references it makes...

Is a fantastic work.

...But I must confess I feel the same about the nazi moment. Even if nazis have been a staple of humor since at least The Producers in 1968 (Hell, Springtime for Hitler is one of my favourite "over the top" things ever), I find it a little out of place, and somewhat of a mood changer for me, finding a reference to "awful things" in a cartoony fantasy world that was supposed to be a little more innocent (although it pulls a few "earthbound-like" moments too, where they drop something more serious from time to time).

It's just a big contrast with other serious moments like the fights with Dogler or Zenim where bad things are happening to people, the game still throws silly bits. The Jeffersons comment made me laugh comming from a bad guy (Don't underestimate the power of cheese!), and I swear Great Gnome makes a "Gotta Go Fast" parody while he's sick.

On the other hand, I think we should respect their choice of words too, because after all, it's their translation and they have the last word.

Well, im not being disrespectful to the translators, it's just my opinion, and YES i totally agree the translation story is VERY WELL written, its a great triumph for DD.. but im sure they could have come up with something better than Nazi's/Communists just for that little bit.. lol.
These comments regarding localization are welcome here. Opinions vary, but I have heard these debates before.

Just to clarify, a translator provides basic information, along with a some color and a tone that usually gets developed and expanded by the writer. Depending on the style of an individual translator, the degree to which localization methods are suggested or begun vary from person to person.

The writer develops and refines the story, in which the localization process is incorporated.

As the writer of SSMS-I's finished story, I am not thin-skinned about honest opinions. I would rather see a player who enjoys the game express such thoughts here than resort to venting on some remote site I don't visit.

Since the two of you have contributed so much to the post-release cleanup, I sort of consider you both part of the team. That, along with the way you present yourselves, rather than posting negativity remotely in a manner that detracts from the fun of gaming and maybe discourages a writer from releasing his work to the public, carries much weight with me.

Therefore, I will take your suggestion and substitute Zenim for Nazi. I'll also investigate a workable parallel to the communist reference. Problem is, Shelldorado is such a peaceful place usually, nothing bad happens much unless an outside despot invades! But we have Elder Hermit Crab to watch over that matter, don't we?

My next hotfix will likely include these adjustments in terminology, but I need a few additional glitches to fix before posting it.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:14 pm 

If I could remember the exact line and moment, maybe i could help you with better context, but if we're trying to find two things that feel a lot of rivalry inside the world's universe...

I'll put a spoiler just in case.
Spoiler! :
Well, Zenim doesn't seem to hold much respect for Dogler, for one part... and Dr.Deep and one of Great Gnome's daughters are very prone to fight, in fact is one of the very first scenes we see with Dr. Deep, but I don't know if it would fit with the character that says the line...

Heck, if you need two characters that fight each other look no further than Kyra and Tokia! It's even established in one of the main cut-scenes when the guild moves to Dorado City (And McGee becomes "Mutenroshi 3.0").

I guess the problem is if something of what i'm saying could make sense in the context.

I usually try to be respectful with this things because it takes a lot of effort and soul to not only translate but for giving life to something, and it's very easy to come off as rude in the internet.

VERY EASY.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Maeson wrote:
If I could remember the exact line and moment, maybe i could help you with better context, but if we're trying to find two things that feel a lot of rivalry inside the world's universe...

I'll put a spoiler just in case.
Spoiler! :
Well, Zenim doesn't seem to hold much respect for Dogler, for one part... and Dr.Deep and one of Great Gnome's daughters are very prone to fight, in fact is one of the very first scenes we see with Dr. Deep, but I don't know if it would fit with the character that says the line...

Heck, if you need two characters that fight each other look no further than Kyra and Tokia! It's even established in one of the main cut-scenes when the guild moves to Dorado City (And McGee becomes "Mutenroshi 3.0").

I guess the problem is if something of what i'm saying could make sense in the context.

I usually try to be respectful with this things because it takes a lot of effort and soul to not only translate but for giving life to something, and it's very easy to come off as rude in the internet.

VERY EASY.
Yup, I agree. Generally speaking, I find I communicate well with people who are secure. Insecure people...? Those can be wild cards. As for people of letters, most authors write about what they know. As for me, my writing is pretty much a reflection of who I am. You can please some but never all, and one must always be true to oneself.

Here's the actual string from Block 69 with some possible revisions already substituted:

Spoiler! :
Ho-ho-ho...! You fell right
into my little trap! What
blundering fools![ckey]
Guess what... KU-SHUE-LA
is an alias! My real name
happens to be GU-JEAU![ckey]
Yes, I am the invincible
Gyab Far's daughter! You
are in my custody now![ckey]
I believe you overheard me
in the backdrop of two
recent conversations.[ckey]
I'm referring to unheeded
advice I gave two of your
old pals, Zenim and Dogler![ckey]
Yep, same as the aging
Beach Boys, I get around!
Hu-hu-hu-hu...![ckey]
My father sent me out to
absorb your history and
recruit useful idiots![ckey]
Yep, the despots lurking
among you aren't entitled
to all of them![ckey]
He'll make Dogler and
Zenim appear kindly - by
comparison![ckey]
And now... You've located
the giant space object that
terrifies all of Shelldorado![ckey]
Ho-ho-ho...! Some Fire Shell
Hero... You're as easy to
dupe as the other boobs!![ckey]
You're so stupid, I could
even trick you into buying
government health plans![ckey]
I mean... You just handed
me the key to your Eternal
Valley - no fuss, no muss![ckey]
Now, I can free up some
time to plan the assault on
Shell Monster Island!![end]

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
WOW! those are great Maeson.. I like the normal backgrounds, though I agree they can be a little bright at times.

I think you should post those over at http://www.romhacking.net/ .. that's their thing there, patches ect..
This falls into the category of a hack, obviously. In the past we've included documents and other materials related to releases. I don't know how the others feel, but I have no problem including your menu color modifying patch(es) with the official V1.01 release package, when it happens. That way, anyone who might enjoy them would not be deprived of their use through being unaware of their existence. Our updated readme may very well include links to (new) resources such as the sanctuary. If we were to include your hacks, then we would need a menu-palette-read.me to provide details and such.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:00 pm 

Those revisions wildbill are MUCH better, and that beachboy comment got me in stitches! I think replacing the nazis thing works VERY WELL. Im SO pleased that you are taking on advice such as what people are giving, its a true sign of professionalism. I bet you lot at DD was not expecting half as much attention as what this game is getting and are pleased with all the hype :) I know I am, OH! and your MORE than welcome to add in the "Sanctuary" if you so wish :) after all, it would not have been possible to do without you guys and all your hard work.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:17 pm 

True, each person has his own way of writing, and you shouldn't try to please everybody/ every type of "fan", or you may get a very inconsistent result, or even something you don't feel proud of.

You can see this kind of things in subtitles for anime or similar, sometimes it's hilarious how they try to please viewers that just want to see the show with just a direct translation, the ones that want some words in japanese to sound more "anime", the ones that want context and author notes everywhere explaining every single minute detail and more.

Another example is the Symphony of the Night retranslation released not so long ago, trying to be closer to the original japanese.
Instead of being happy to have another way of seeing the game, people started complaining and it got kind of... heated.

I myself love the campiness of the original translation (To the point of reenact the voice-acted cutscenes) but I can see why others would want a more serious approach.

Although you can find the absolute opposite, like the official spanish translation for Little King Story where they tried to put a joke in every single line of text, to the point where the tutorial is a bunch of jokes and the plot is terribly explained.

This things are kind of difficult to talk about with anyone...

But enough of that, sorry for the rant... After reading it again, while the nazi/comu comment didn't fit that much for me, the joke about government health plans made me laugh because it's just plain silly, and actually it's a very common thing in old school RPG's, the hero usually is so goodie-goodie that always falls in traps.

I also confirm that my ideas weren't very good because the character talking doesn't have any interaction with the things i've mentioned before (Besides Dogler and Zenim, of course).

About the palette hack, i just shared it if any of you wanted to use it. I have absolutely no problem if you guys want them, I don't even take credit for it as it's such a simple thing i don't mind and it wouldn't exist without a translation to read :lol:.

Making a readme for it will only take a very small ammount of time.

Although you may want to see if the colors are okay or if you would want to request a different color for the menu.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
Those revisions wildbill are MUCH better, and that beachboy comment got me in stitches! I think replacing the nazis thing works VERY WELL. Im SO pleased that you are taking on advice such as what people are giving, its a true sign of professionalism. I bet you lot at DD was not expecting half as much attention as what this game is getting and are pleased with all the hype :) I know I am, OH! and your MORE than welcome to add in the "Sanctuary" if you so wish :) after all, it would not have been possible to do without you guys and all your hard work.
Well, Sylar, everything comes at a cost. Yours, hee-hee..., is that you MUST finish the sanctuary and new FAQ/Walkthrough you mentioned!

Oh, I will share with you my "heavily-edited" Arcadia FAQ if you just use the info I added and changed, and not distribute it in the form I presently have it. In there I speak of secrets and side-quests that Arcadia never mentioned (and presumably never found).

Yah, you see - some would like the Beach Boys thing and others wouldn't. Some would like the Earth-specific despots thing, but you didn't. But anyone who is working as hard as you are to develop such amazing resources in just a few weeks deserves to be heard and considered. Thank you for being professional yourself. That sort of trait among some gamers is a rare commodity and the main reason I work underground.

The other reason is I can get more work done if I work on games instead of gabbing about them, hee-hee....! So, back to Princess Minerva I go!! Now, THAT is a trip! Never seen anything like Minerva-land!!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Maeson wrote:
True, each person has his own way of writing, and you shouldn't try to please everybody/ every type of "fan", or you may get a very inconsistent result, or even something you don't feel proud of.

You can see this kind of things in subtitles for anime or similar, sometimes it's hilarious how they try to please viewers that just want to see the show with just a direct translation, the ones that want some words in japanese to sound more "anime", the ones that want context and author notes everywhere explaining every single minute detail and more.

Another example is the Symphony of the Night retranslation released not so long ago, trying to be closer to the original japanese.
Instead of being happy to have another way of seeing the game, people started complaining and it got kind of... heated.

I myself love the campiness of the original translation (To the point of reenact the voice-acted cutscenes) but I can see why others would want a more serious approach.

Although you can find the absolute opposite, like the official spanish translation for Little King Story where they tried to put a joke in every single line of text, to the point where the tutorial is a bunch of jokes and the plot is terribly explained.

This things are kind of difficult to talk about with anyone...

But enough of that, sorry for the rant... After reading it again, while the nazi/comu comment didn't fit that much for me, the joke about government health plans made me laugh because it's just plain silly, and actually it's a very common thing in old school RPG's, the hero usually is so goodie-goodie that always falls in traps.

I also confirm that my ideas weren't very good because the character talking doesn't have any interaction with the things i've mentioned before (Besides Dogler and Zenim, of course).

About the palette hack, i just shared it if any of you wanted to use it. I have absolutely no problem if you guys want them, I don't even take credit for it as it's such a simple thing i don't mind and it wouldn't exist without a translation to read :lol:.

Making a readme for it will only take a very small ammount of time.

Although you may want to see if the colors are okay or if you would want to request a different color for the menu.
Don't be silly! Of course you get attribution for the palette work. As for Beach Boys, health plans, nazis, and commies, I suppose there's a fine line in there somewhere. I actually saw a comedy about Auchwitz recently. It's an Italian movie with English subtitles called "Life Is Beautiful". It works for me insanely well!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next