Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post subject: Re: Beta testing Shell Monsters Story - Spoilers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Wes Falls wrote:
I want to play this game. I need something new to play. The viewpoint used for the battle system is my favorite type. I use one like it in my own little indie-project: http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt27 ... 9a78df.png. D-D always seem to find the goodest games. If it weren't for the inspiration granted me by Just Breed, I never would have tried making a fake NES game.

Anybody want to hook me up with the beta? I can be trusted--trusted enough not to leak the Penny Arcade 4 beta, at least (I did not actually play-test it, I'm just friends with the developers). If not, that's okay, I just figured the there was no harm in asking.
I'll be talking to you privately. I might go for one more beta test(er) prior to release.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:43 am 

ultpaladin wrote:
While you're waiting for this game maybe you could try the NES prequel to it. Hopefully you won't have too long to wait for the SNES game.

I already know ALL about that guy. Thank you for the suggestion, nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:58 pm 

Do not know if you got all technique names for Poyon yet, I found a site that has them, it also lists the locations of the monsters that you must fight to learn them.

Main Site

Run it through Google translate if you want to understand it. This also has SSMS II data as well. This will help fix up what is missing if anything is at all. This will also help in translating the sequel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:49 am 
Site Admin

Ryan914 wrote:
Do not know if you got all technique names for Poyon yet, I found a site that has them, it also lists the locations of the monsters that you must fight to learn them.

Main Site

Run it through Google translate if you want to understand it. This also has SSMS II data as well. This will help fix up what is missing if anything is at all. This will also help in translating the sequel.
Many thanks for the link. I've been translating misc files today for SSMS-II - character names, towns. weapons, items, etc. Still looking for dumped files with monster names and battle messages, though. The FAQ is handy. I'm about 90% refined for the first insertion. Progress is decent. The main menu is starting to take shape and become usable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

I guess we're still waiting on an "official" translator for this game, right? I hope that releasing SSMS1 will attract the attention of someone better capable of tackling this project and relieve you from feeling the need to translate things yourself. I only say this because it must be terribly taxing to take on such responsibility by yourself, and I know from experience that all the dictionaries in the world can't accurately translate what someone immersed in the culture can.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
I guess we're still waiting on an "official" translator for this game, right? I hope that releasing SSMS1 will attract the attention of someone better capable of tackling this project and relieve you from feeling the need to translate things yourself. I only say this because it must be terribly taxing to take on such responsibility by yourself, and I know from experience that all the dictionaries in the world can't accurately translate what someone immersed in the culture can.
I am patient.

I also have a completed prequel with a lot of overlap and an excellent FAQ that guides well. I know the culture of the characters, their speech patterns, mannerisms, quirks, and rivalries. Once I have assembled a sizable body of work, a bilingual translator can clear up glitches in mere hours - as opposed to months of original work from scratch. Yes, and I'll take an hour or more sometimes to find the precise meaning of an esoteric term or phrase.

I have finally realized that putting one of these sagas together with 10,000 details attended is my true pleasure derived from the effort - not releasing. I am no longer concerned about the evolution requiring years. I'm determined to just peck away at these things until finished. I build houses the same way -five of them completed in 35 years. Everything appears to stand strongly, game and abode, solidly constructed by dedicated teams of talented people to resist hurricanes or whatever. Only I'm more of a lone wolf designing and constructing homes, but it's the same principle - one board or one word at a time. I do let Sherry pick all of the colors and finishes, because she doesn't understand load-bearing walls any better than I can write binary coding!

Okay, when I get a demo of SSMS-II, and after we release SSMS-I, I'll personally contact a few real translators and plead the case. I want the best possible because this game deserves that. I am confident someone will step forward, so I'm in no rush. Plenty to keep me busy in the hobby time I have. I've also resumed construction on the final house I plan to build, either a 5,000 square foot complex or 7,000 monstrosity, depending on how much my family members are able to restrain my ambitions, hee-hee...! (Or if the money runs out, whichever occurs sooner.)

Look how nicely Bongo` is fixing that pesky clock! But I'm frightened to even breathe on the insertion file!

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

Certainly looking fantastic! And I don't want want my previous comment to come off in the wrong way, but even as immersed as one may be in the game, it's still very possible to mistranslate things if you are using dictionaries. For example, on something I'm currently working on, there is an enemy named "irupai" which pretty much everything is translating as "Eel Pie". Yet, if you see this monster in-game, you'll know that it can't be the right translation. If one sees the enemy in-game and knows a bit more about Japanese slang, you would probably come to the conclusion that it is a combination of "eel" and "opai" (breast), something that I wouldn't really have known without a better translator. So, just pointing out that software translators can often times miss deeper meanings. Still looking forward to testing and playing the game, though, and pretty sure this will be a great game! (if it's like its predecessor)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Certainly looking fantastic! And I don't want want my previous comment to come off in the wrong way, but even as immersed as one may be in the game, it's still very possible to mistranslate things if you are using dictionaries. For example, on something I'm currently working on, there is an enemy named "irupai" which pretty much everything is translating as "Eel Pie". Yet, if you see this monster in-game, you'll know that it can't be the right translation. If one sees the enemy in-game and knows a bit more about Japanese slang, you would probably come to the conclusion that it is a combination of "eel" and "opai" (breast), something that I wouldn't really have known without a better translator. So, just pointing out that software translators can often times miss deeper meanings. Still looking forward to testing and playing the game, though, and pretty sure this will be a great game! (if it's like its predecessor)
If it's いるぱい, I'm not sure such a word exists. If it's イルパイ, it will likely be a borrow word, and those can be tough. I just searched without success for a possible meaning to イルパイ, including derivatives of "ilupai". Sometimes, monster searches lead me to Viking, Hindu, an other mythologies.

Yep, Katakana can be a bear! It took me a while, but I finally got this name: ドラゴバ-ド Doragoba-de (Dragonbird or Drago Bird). After all of that research being precise, we'll probably be forced to cut it to either "D-bird" or just plane "Bird".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:20 am 
Site Admin

Heh, WTH is a Dragon Bird? http://www.comee.jp/fileview.php?fileid=102

When you see the "irupai" in the game, you'll see that it is indeed a mix of "eel" and "breasts" as the monster is... well... a big boobied pink eel. I still haven't decided on a name yet, though... Endowed Eel... Titteel... Boobeel... hehe. There are other monsters that look pretty much the same (palette swap), so I will wait and compare their translations before making a decision (unless the translator comes up with something better). :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:29 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Heh, WTH is a Dragon Bird? http://www.comee.jp/fileview.php?fileid=102

When you see the "irupai" in the game, you'll see that it is indeed a mix of "eel" and "breasts" as the monster is... well... a big boobied pink eel. I still haven't decided on a name yet, though... Endowed Eel... Titteel... Boobeel... hehe. There are other monsters that look pretty much the same (palette swap), so I will wait and compare their translations before making a decision (unless the translator comes up with something better). :)
Heh, well... even if you have bigger and badder monsters, I'd make our slithery friend the titular boss of the bestiary!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next