Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post subject: Re: Beta testing Shell Monsters Story
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:17 pm 

If you cannot find anyone to beta test at a daily basis, keep me in mind. I should be able to put in 5-6 hours a week on the weekends. This game looks like one of the more interesting ones that Dynamic Designs is trying to release. If the game is fairly open world, its probably a good idea to get as many beta testers as possible.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:04 am 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
If you cannot find anyone to beta test at a daily basis, keep me in mind. I should be able to put in 5-6 hours a week on the weekends. This game looks like one of the more interesting ones that Dynamic Designs is trying to release. If the game is fairly open world, its probably a good idea to get as many beta testers as possible.
I have one person who is looking at the very early part of it, but that individual is not certain about having time to go further. I've already made a few adjustments based on the person's input.

It's up to you, Ultpaladin. I realize that Beta testing is not as much fun as playing a game and carries a bit more urgency, but I certainly don't want to interfere with your work. Still, you're correct about the advantages of having about three good testers.

Chaos Seed remains the priority for beta testing, but this game will require half or less time than CS. So, those who must rule out CS because of a hundred hours or more may be in a position to consider helping with this one.

We'll get there eventually, Jhutch321 and others. Appreciate the support.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 am 

I could start this weekend if you like. Its a three day weekend for me so I could get in an extra hour or two, but on most weekends it would be 4-5 hours if that is ok with you.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

If cheats for power ups are needed, I can supply them since I know battles will make the game go by much slower than needed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
I could start this weekend if you like. Its a three day weekend for me so I could get in an extra hour or two, but on most weekends it would be 4-5 hours if that is ok with you.
You're on. Thanks!

I will need an e-mail address from Nate and Ultpaladin for communicating back and forth. Send it to my D-D addy. It's in this website's records. Garrett and I just finished cleaning up the first part of the introduction and the first town/village. We're ready for the rest of you to run with it.

If you all want to get together and split up the 12 assignable fighters into squads for going through major wickets (to avoid up to three repetitions to see all of the characters' dialogue), that's up to you.

We have a full beta team. Here it is in the order we communicated. All volunteered, including those of you whose names I "dropped" on the news page. I just entered your names in the insertion files and shot this screenie. This is what players will actually see toward the end of the game. Let me know if any of you want your names displayed differently. It's an easy fix - just a few seconds of work.

Bongo` just offered cheats. I've used one for a fast third play to flesh out dialogue for the Poyon character. My game seems stable with the "Pearl" cheat activated.

Edit: Oh, Cody has played the entire Japanese version of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:23 am 

Wildbill, I sent you a PM with my contact info. If the other testers want to focus on specific party members, I'm up for that, otherwise I will just try to use as many party members as possible whenever I visit a new place with people to talk to. I have played the NES prequel, but its been a long time and don't know if that will help in this game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
Wildbill, I sent you a PM with my contact info. If the other testers want to focus on specific party members, I'm up for that, otherwise I will just try to use as many party members as possible whenever I visit a new place with people to talk to. I have played the NES prequel, but its been a long time and don't know if that will help in this game.
I have heard from all four of you at various times. Things seem to be going well. Everyone is sort of spread out from each other, working at different paces, places, and times. This would probably make coordination impractical. The game is so non-linear after a fairly early stage, I believe everyone will proceed with vastly differing approaches, making coordination even tougher. This might also restrict enjoyment of the game, something I want all four of you to experience while testing.

I'm doing my fourth play, keying on certain areas I want to fine tune - mainly back stories and minor sub-plots that occur after the main thrust of the game has zoomed far away. In Auran Village, for example, strange events may occur while the hero is charging ahead on the other side of the world but occasionally warping back into Auran to talk to the folks rebuilding the town. I've already got a bug report for Bongo` in Auran, as forward progress reaches Mosswood. If you never went back to these towns and talked to people, you could keep going ahead until you beat the game and be none the wiser, but I feel we have a responsibility to fix everything that any player could possibly see.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:

Tester Nate has played through the ending credits. He reports that "the entire game looks good to him". I know this means the game has no major flaws, hangs, or crashes, but I don't know if Nate also means the game looks good from the standpoint of how it compares to other SNES RPGs from the 90's. Tastes in games differ between players, but Nate is certainly welcome to share his impressions after being the first person other than I to finish D-D's translation of SSMS-I.

Everyone has given me reports along. One person who submitted a few dozen reports right off the bat I haven't heard from for a couple of weeks. Nevertheless, we're in no rush to conclude beta testing. I want people to take as long as they need in the time slots they have available to go through as much as possible with a fine-toothed comb. Thoroughness is important, and we appreciate the attention that all of our testers are giving toward making this translation better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:15 am 
Site Admin

While still working (mostly waiting) on the beta tester killer, Chaos Seed, I sure am happy to see this project running along at a very fast pace. Keep up the good work guys!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:18 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
While still working (mostly waiting) on the beta tester killer, Chaos Seed, I sure am happy to see this project running along at a very fast pace. Keep up the good work guys!

/*grumbles at ChaosSeed...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next