Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Progress Report
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

I'm pecking around on this one whenever Chaos Seed is broken or I get a little CS burn-out. Whenever I have extra hobby time in the day - something I haven't see for over a year until very recently - I hit BSMS a few licks.

It's a routine write, so far, a very fun story but not even close to the complexity of CS.

Aretha-II is actually quite broken at the halfway point (long complex explanation but certainly fixable). We've probably decided to release Aretha-I first anyway, and we don't quite have the insertion system for the prequel even built yet. That could be done in a few days to weeks, but CS, Lodoss, Minerva, and BSMS all take priority over Aretha-I and II.

BSMS jumped into this hierarchy quickly because it's really quite close to going out the door - much closer than anyone realizes except me, maybe. In fact, we need someone to do an English title page conversion for BSMS any time it's convenient - certainly long before December 31 (2013).

Post subject: Re: Progress Report
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 pm 

Ah, I noticed the menu VWF was scrapped on the project. Just curious as to why it was. I know there were bugs from byuu's original routines that were due to writing to VRAM outside of vblank, but I was told those were fixable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
Ah, I noticed the menu VWF was scrapped on the project. Just curious as to why it was. I know there were bugs from byuu's original routines that were due to writing to VRAM outside of vblank, but I was told those were fixable.
Bongo` was cryptic about that. I wanted two-line item names first thing. But he got me 13-space one-liners, and I'm happy. We're still kicking around the idea of icons but mostly leaning away from it. I'm about 25% through the story, got all the battle messages humming along. Bongo`'s really bored with me on BSMS. I can't break this game very often!

So, if I had told Bongo` the first day to abandon 2-line item names forever because it was impossible, and no one could do it, I'd probably have 'em right now! He'll have to answer up on the VWF menu. It would be nice to have that, but it's probably impossible, and no one could do it! So, don't try it, Bongo`!! And don't fix the colored font routine either. That's also impossible... [white] [red] [yellow] isn't working for me yet in text folder blocks. Hee-hee...! No rush on that...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:42 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Garrett wrote:
Bongo` was cryptic about that. I wanted two-line item names first thing. But he got me 13-space one-liners, and I'm happy. We're still kicking around the idea of icons but mostly leaning away from it. I'm about 25% through the story, got all the battle messages humming along. Bongo`'s really bored with me on BSMS. I can't break this game very often!

So, if I had told Bongo` the first day to abandon 2-line item names forever because it was impossible, and no one could do it, I'd probably have 'em right now! He'll have to answer up on the VWF menu. It would be nice to have that, but it's probably impossible, and no one could do it! So, don't try it, Bongo`!! And don't fix the colored font routine either. That's also impossible... [white] [red] [yellow] isn't working for me yet in text folder blocks. Hee-hee...! No rush on that...

Ahh, the color tags must have been disabled by me. I think i figuredbyou would figure it out
And try and get it to work yourself.

As for the VWF menu system, it's still there but it's in 16x16 format. I hate how the game handles the 12x12 VWF for menus so I just disabled it. I could easily make a custom 8x8 vwf routine that would be easily integrated into the current system, but I have never been fond of the routines. I tried it once witn a game tha i had to give up on. A long time ago.

EDIT: when i say the vwf is still there, i mean my routine is capable of doing the job but i won't allow it. byuu's code is not even being used at all. Most of the work done is from scratch. The text of course and some other minor things we used.

Last edited by Bongo` on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:55 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Ahh, the color tags must have been disabled by me. I think i figuredbyou would figure it out
And try and get it to work yourself.
I might very well ferret it out... Or, I might write finished story in two villages during the same time it would take me... I'm thinking, I'm thinking...! Ah, I'll bet they're rem'ed somewhere!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:08 am 

I can only imagine a full-screen VWF menu on SNES running out of free tiles and/or being very laggy.
(the only full VWF game I can think of is EarthBound and I have to wonder if lack of tiles is the reason it clears the item window when "Help" is selected, whereas Mother 2 didn't)
Well, Secret of Evermore I guess managed a lot of VWF.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:34 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
I can only imagine a full-screen VWF menu on SNES running out of free tiles and/or being very laggy.
(the only full VWF game I can think of is EarthBound and I have to wonder if lack of tiles is the reason it clears the item window when "Help" is selected, whereas Mother 2 didn't)

Lag was a big factor. I changed the game to populate the items and spells list in fashio. Which would allow much more speed. As you may have seen, the original was very slow. Fixed width font and te new loader seems to work well together.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:48 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
KingMike wrote:

Lag was a big factor.
As a side note, this game lags more than any I've seen between countryside and battle, battle and countryside, countryside and town, and town and countryside - virtually any change to a different environment. Sometimes the restart takes so long I fear the game has hanged.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Obviously I haven't tested, but does this occur in the original Japanese rom as well?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Obviously I haven't tested, but does this occur in the original Japanese rom as well?

Oh yes. You should have seen tne item list. O_o that was just painfully slow. Transitions are a different story. I'm not shre i even want to mess with that stuff. I guess it tries to load soo muchdata that it requires more than a few full VBlanks to process.