Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Progress Report
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:56 am 
Site Admin

Quick Update...

Progress on this project slowed down a little while WB turned all his time back into Chaos Seed. Don't worry, though. CS is almost finished so I'm sure progress on this gem will continue very soon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:43 am 
Site Admin

Reviving this thread just to ask two little questions: How's progress going? And, any chance of a release before the end of the year?
I know I could have sent this in an e-mail, but I thought I'd throw it out here to give hope to everyone else :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Reviving this thread just to ask two little questions: How's progress going? And, any chance of a release before the end of the year?
I know I could have sent this in an e-mail, but I thought I'd throw it out here to give hope to everyone else :)

I'll try to respond from my phone. The game is virtually completed. However, I have been devoting all of my game time to SSMS-II. I do not expect to have the first game ready for a 2014 release because my inclination is to standardize both games, and this would necessitate the completion of the sequel.

A playable version of the first game is already out there, so I believe those who appreciate the style I employ - my target audience - will be better served with a finely-tuned duo.

While we're on this subject, I might even suggest we consider releasing SSMS-II first. That way, players would receive a work that's all original. Then, when we push our SSMS-I out the door, people who beat SSMS-II might be more likely to compare it to that game, not the older English version of SSMS-I that's already available to the gaming public.

Nah, the board is always a good spot for brainstorming.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

W-wait... Is there another translation of SSMS-1 out there? I know that there was a NES game that is a sort of prequel, but I didn't realize that another English SSMS-1 translation was released... I just did a quick search, and nothing turned up, so I'm not quite sure to what you are referring.

I'm not against releasing them both at once if they were completed at around the same time, but I don't quite understand sitting on one when it is pretty much completely finished. At least, it looked darn near done when I tested it earlier this year...

Release SSMS-2 first?? There must be something I'm misunderstanding...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
W-wait... Is there another translation of SSMS-1 out there? I know that there was a NES game that is a sort of prequel, but I didn't realize that another English SSMS-1 translation was released... I just did a quick search, and nothing turned up, so I'm not quite sure to what you are referring.

I'm not against releasing them both at once if they were completed at around the same time, but I don't quite understand sitting on one when it is pretty much completely finished. At least, it looked darn near done when I tested it earlier this year...

Release SSMS-2 first?? There must be something I'm misunderstanding...
I haven't researched it personally, but in previous discussions someone said a few might be inclined to hold our SSMS-I alongside the one done by others in the past, so therefore; we might want to take that into consideration in regard to story development. But if I misunderstood - if no one has released a playable version of SSMS-I - then releasing the sequel first is not advisable. I still believe I would prefer to develop the two alongside before releasing either, however, same as the Aretha treatment. BTW, SSMS-II is turning out to be much larger and more complex than I was expecting, but we're conquering it just the same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

There isn't a completed version out there per se, but all the files that our work is based on (including the original full English script) are out there for anyone to access over at RHDN and use for their own version. This is an abandoned project picked up over at the RHDN abandoned projects section and all the original material including the translation are there to be viewed by anyone willing to look them up.

I assume it even included a somewhat playable rom that just wasn't playable to completion, or had some serious bugs along the way. Either way, yes the script is out there for everyone to view but no there is not a working fully playable game released at this time.

Quote:
Dai Kaijuu Monogatari Near Completion DaMarsMan
This is an almost complete translation of Dai Kaijuu Monogatari for SNES. It's a follow up of byuu's work and contains a nearly complete script and item translation by 'Gerb' (DQ5 PS2 fame). It's so close but the technical aspect has gone beyond my (DaMarsMan) capabilities. Please finish it and give credit where credit is due!

Dai Kaijuu Monogatari Work byuu
This archive contains all the script, font, and VWF hacks and more. Basically, byuu had hacked Dai Kai mostly to completion but never found a suitable translator and no longer has time for the project. Please read the included readme for more details and licensing wishes from byuu himself.

This is the work (minus the complete rehacking which was done by Bongo`) which ours is based on (script included). This work is out there for everyone to check out who wishes to do so. I hope that clears up everything for everyone. I thought we had made this clear before, sorry if we didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:44 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
There isn't a completed version out there per se, but all the files that our work is based on (including the original full English script) are out there for anyone to access over at RHDN and use for their own version. This is an abandoned project picked up over at the RHDN abandoned projects section and all the original material including the translation are there to be viewed by anyone willing to look them up.

I assume it even included a somewhat playable rom that just wasn't playable to completion, or had some serious bugs along the way. Either way, yes the script is out there for everyone to view but no there is not a working fully playable game released at this time.

Quote:
Dai Kaijuu Monogatari Near Completion DaMarsMan
This is an almost complete translation of Dai Kaijuu Monogatari for SNES. It's a follow up of byuu's work and contains a nearly complete script and item translation by 'Gerb' (DQ5 PS2 fame). It's so close but the technical aspect has gone beyond my (DaMarsMan) capabilities. Please finish it and give credit where credit is due!

Dai Kaijuu Monogatari Work byuu
This archive contains all the script, font, and VWF hacks and more. Basically, byuu had hacked Dai Kai mostly to completion but never found a suitable translator and no longer has time for the project. Please read the included readme for more details and licensing wishes from byuu himself.

This is the work (minus the complete rehacking which was done by Bongo`) which ours is based on (script included). This work is out there for everyone to check out who wishes to do so. I hope that clears up everything for everyone. I thought we had made this clear before, sorry if we didn't.
It's not a biggie, but now I understand where I got the notion of comparability between our SSMS-I and previous work. It was mainly the files we started working from. But like Bongo` said once, he ended up coding an entirely new insertion framework. I followed suit, of course, and used those open source SSMS-I story files only as a guideline. Some were well developed. Other parts were rough-translated and rough-formatted, and a few were not even dumped. let alone rough-inserted. Still, the spirit and tone of the game developed by DaMarsMan and Gerb are woven into the current reading of SSMS-I. In fact, I've continued this same tone into SSMS-II (words such as "cutie", "doggie", and "li'l".)

But getting back to the original coordination Draken re-introduced, I'm still inclined to finish both games before releasing one or both, obviously, SSMS-I first.

And for the first time I'll report that I have a volunteer who will (time permitting) help me standardize the two game stories and naming conventions. In fact, he may be playing a chapter in SSMS-II as I type. I want to wait until I see if he has time to do this for us before I reveal his name and ask him to join the project officially as an SSMS-II production team member. Naturally, his role would need to be signed off on by everyone - including himself . However, his function in SSMS-I would be that of standardization, as well as the final beta tester. In SSMS-II, he's helping me with anything he sees, including fixing strings I haven't triggered and anything else I missed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:56 am 
Site Admin

That makes more sense now. SSMS-1 should definitely be released first (or at the same time as SSMS-2) as it has no other release out in the wild, but I guess I was just hoping that it would have been a 2014 release seeing as how it was pretty much finished before work really even started/picked up on SSMS-2. It's okay, though. I leave it totally up to you to decide the release schedule for both games (just as long as SSMS-2 isn't getting put out there before SSMS-1 ;))

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:12 am 

So... what is the abandoned work exactly...?
byuu said he almost/completely did the ROM hacking work, but he couldn't find anyone to translate it and so DaMarsMan took byuu's work and found a translator but ran into technical issues of his own?
And is D-D thus picking up where DaMarsMan left off?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:12 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
So... what is the abandoned work exactly...?
byuu said he almost/completely did the ROM hacking work, but he couldn't find anyone to translate it and so DaMarsMan took byuu's work and found a translator but ran into technical issues of his own?
And is D-D thus picking up where DaMarsMan left off?

What's up, KingMike! :) To answer your question, as far as the script goes, we used all of what DaMarsMan had and a few things I think that were missed we just translated. maybe 1 or 2% missed
in the MISC area? As for the hacking, I hacked the game from scratch so that I could get a feel
for the game. That means VWF, compression, data relocation / Expansion, etc. We didn't use the
8x8 VWF routine Byuu implemented but I did use the fixed width 8x8 font. I also used many of the
tile mods he did and some other things that I cannot recall. He wasn't too happy with me NOT using
the VWF 8x8 stuff, but I really hate dealing with that. Besides, it slowed down the 8x8 menu routines.
I re-coded a lot of the list display to speed it up by changing how Miscellaneous text was processed.

Other than that nonsense, a lot of the game's notes were used and greatly appreciated.
Saved us a crap load of time picking up where they left off. :D