Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post subject: Re: Spot Translation Requests *SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

It took forever to verify the size of the battle message box for this, but we appear to be good. Not very many enemies do this, and those that do don't do it very often.

BTW, the main purpose of my second play-through was to iron out the many kinks in the Idol management system and give them a thorough workout in battle after combining and developing their levels. These are scrappy little fellows, and I'm really enjoying fighting with them as they gain power and skills. This multi-party fighting system is turning out to be loads of fun. The Yarn Idol below is a combination of the Love and Feat Idols.
Spoiler! :
The Feat Idol is awarded by the gods for not running away and winning 200 consecutive battles. One of the bards in the towns sings of your progress and keeps you apprised of exactly how many battles you have remaining to win the Feat Idol.
The literal translation of the Feat Idol was "Victory Spirit Figurine" or some such, but Aishsha used "Idol" in Silva Saga-I, and we chose "Feat" because all Idol names must be only four-letters long. If someone has a better four-letter word for "Victory" than "Feat", tell me, and I'll use it.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

Win? Of course then yarn would be made of love and win. :D

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:17 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Win? Of course then yarn would be made of love and win. :D
I should have said exactly four-letters long. I had "Win" at one time, but it was confusable with "Wind", the literal translation of the Wind Idol being "Withering Blast". We have a very powerful "Seabreeze" Idol, too, win-able in a side quest, and that one got renamed "Gale" deservedly, a bit more than a breeze in more ways than one! Anyway, I suppose I could spin a few "Yarns" about "Love" "Feats", too, speaking of my "Idol" woman, hee-hee...!

Yeah, I love this game!! I'm quite absorbed in it. I knew it would be good, but it just sorta crept up on me. I actually have new Burning Heroes chapters to write, and I can't put Silva Saga-II down! Those who love all of the Dragon Warriors and Final Fantasies and play them repeatedly as they come out on new portables through the years will probably go nuts with this obscure sleeper that will suddenly pop onto their plates out of nowhere. There are hidden objects literally everywhere out the yin-yang! And rooting special weapons out of difficult spots and enjoying unique enemy drops make a player forget he's also grinding levels in the process. Money is tough to come by, though. My mercs must manage largely with hand-me-downs that seem to only trickle down, at times.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

This Incubus monster in the 4th Demon's Tower (before you head toward the final boss's lair) is one rough customer - as far as I know - the only baddie that steals 2000 of something at a whack!

I believe this is experience points, but I need some kind soul to verify the translation I made back in February of this year.

I'm getting much closer to wrapping up my part in this game and passing it to Red Soul. RS, you will probably find a few more battle messages that need refinements. Some of these strings get called up only rarely. Some I've never seen. I'm lucky to catch these two that I coded so I could search on them if I ever saw them.

.OFFSET = { $000804E3 - $000804F0 }
.COUNT = $000E // 14
; [$01]けいけんち きゅうしゅう
.TEXT
[$01] Drained EXP Points!
.ENDT

.OFFSET = { $000804BE - $000804CE }
.COUNT = $0011 // 17
; [$01]は けいけんちを すいとられた
.TEXT
[$01] lost EXP Points!!

Oh, the Incubus is pink because one of my Idols poisoned him! He's normally midnight black.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:59 pm 

I'm throwing a guess here, but it seems you are correct there, Bill.
Again, observing would help us determine if there is indeed an exp drain involved
(compare before and after totals).
Considering the amounts of HP and MP the game allows, I'd say the cap is three
digits long, so a -2000 attack would mean certain death or an empty MP pool,
which leaves only exp to be taken without instantly visible effects to the party.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

I concur. けいけんち is exp.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:06 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
I concur. けいけんち is exp.
Ah, Mr. Matt, Sir.... Stand by for something good, maybe... (Heh, if so, no rush - unless...!)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
I'm throwing a guess here, but it seems you are correct there, Bill.
Again, observing would help us determine if there is indeed an exp drain involved
(compare before and after totals).
Considering the amounts of HP and MP the game allows, I'd say the cap is three
digits long, so a -2000 attack would mean certain death or an empty MP pool,
which leaves only exp to be taken without instantly visible effects to the party.

Ah, Mr. Red Soul, sir... See message to Mr Matt... Same guidelines... sometime this weekend, maybe... hee-hee-hee...!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

This is a battle message that displays sometimes when an enemy casts a defensive spell on himself or his enemy group.
The string below displays when the spell doesn't work in a given instance, so I translated it that, "The spell failed."
However, after observing this string over and over in actual battles, I believe that "failing" may not be technically correct.
What I believe may be happening here is that the enemy is already protected by that particular defensive spell.

For example, Enemy A casts "Mahal" on himself to increase his resistance to magic attacks, and we see the battle message, "Magic defense up."

Then, Enemy B casts "Meta Mahal" that targets the whole group. However, the battle message above Enemy A displays the string below, "The spell failed."

But the battle message above Enemy B, C, etc. displays, "Magic defense up."

So, if someone can re-translate the string below, please tell me if it's closer to something like, "[Enemy is] already affected by the spell."

.OFFSET = { $00080184 - $00080191 }
.COUNT = $000E // 14
; [$01]まほうは かからなかった
.TEXT
[$01]The spell failed.
.ENDT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:00 am 
Site Admin

No, it's not saying the enemy is already effected by the spell, it's saying "was not put under the spell". The spell is the subject actually so it's saying the spell was ineffective. In this case however, the spell was ineffective because the enemy is already affected by the spell so there is no reason not to just say so if you think it would be clearer.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next