Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post subject: Re: Spot Translation Requests *SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:07 am 
Site Admin

This is a very short spot translation request.

I have a hunch what it will be. I just need to know for sure.

This string pertains to the Idols, which are figurines that can fight like any other combatants in the hero's party.

Idols can use both physical and magical attacks against enemies but cannot be equipped with armor. They can also gain experience and increase in levels.

But a unique aspect of Idols is that when they become strong enough, they can be combined with other Idols in a Magic Shop to become new and even stronger Idols.

This string expresses a given Idol's status in a menu, relative to its ability to be combined with another Idol.

がったいできません

Here are the other two strings in this small block that display in the same menu, depending on the Idol's status:

がったいできます - Idol combinable!
(This means the Idol has gained enough experience to be combined with another "mature" Idol.)

がったいかのう[$A0][$07][$02] - Join [$A0][$07][$02]
(The codes display the word "Level" and a variable number in the menu. i. e. "Join (at) Level 27"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:17 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
がったいできません

Here are the other two strings in this small block that display in the same menu, depending on the Idol's status:

(This means the Idol has gained enough experience to be combined with another "mature" Idol.)

(The codes display the word "Level" and a variable number in the menu. i. e. "Join (at) Level 27"

がったいできません
Cannot combine (Unable to unite/combine)

You are correct, "able to be combined"

Combination possible[$A0][$07][$02] - Join [$A0][$07][$02]

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
がったいできません

がったいできません
Cannot combine (Unable to unite/combine)

You are correct, "able to be combined"

Combination possible[$A0][$07][$02] - Join [$A0][$07][$02]
Thanks, Matt!

This may be the last untranslated string in the game. I had it "dummied up" so that when it finally popped up in the game, I could easily search on it.

To everyone:

The Idol feature in this game is unique, a delightful variation to the dreaded "usual RPG fare", but menus and spacing of Idol-related codes have been problematical. In fact, menus are the biggest pain in this game of any I've helped work on!

The following series of graphics will illustrate both the process and the remaining glitches with Idols. For example, menus in the same spot with different messages are length-restricted for no apparent reason except to vex English writers! If Bongo` can expand these, we may change "Join" to "Combine" and be uniform in our terminology. Also, we've had nettlesome issues with spacing in Idol-related strings, as people can see with the period (.) and the plus (+) sign in the graphics below. For that reason we are converting all Idol names to exactly four letters in length.

i. e. Sky becomes Skye; Win becomes Élan; Flame becomes Fire; Earth becomes Soil; Shiva becomes Siva, etc.

(BTW, look at how I can paste in a diacritical marking here (Élan). In some cases, I've been able to do this with existing game fonts. Does this mean some international support is built in already, and maybe we just didn't know it?)

All-in-all, Bongo` and I have about a dozen glitches to resolve on my watch, then, this baby will go to Red Soul for stage one of the beta testing process. I'm at V0.99 beta now, just wrapping up as much menu work as I can and sending Bongo` my final glitch reports.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:23 pm 

OH man, I'm getting so excited!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

In that "08" pic, it looks like I see another issue with the damn "finger" not pointing where it should be.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:05 pm 

V0.99 Beta? Woah! This is coming along really fast. I'm quite excited!

Something I'm a little wary about is the 3-teams-at-once part of the game. From reading the description it sounds like a hindrance more than anything else (I wouldn't know though, having not tried the system myself. I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong!).

Also, because of the 3 teams, does that mean you have to gain experience for each individual team?

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Zetshiro wrote:
V0.99 Beta? Woah! This is coming along really fast. I'm quite excited!

Something I'm a little wary about is the 3-teams-at-once part of the game. From reading the description it sounds like a hindrance more than anything else (I wouldn't know though, having not tried the system myself. I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong!).

Also, because of the 3 teams, does that mean you have to gain experience for each individual team?
Spoiler! :
I thought that way at first, until I got deeply into the game, and yes, only one team gains experience per battle. But think of it as a tag team strategy. If one group gets worn down or in danger, you can bail them out quickly in the middle of the battle. Or you can use the opposite approach and wear down the baddies with your strongest team, then, bring in your weakest team to cherry-pick the experience. This trick allows you to build up the weakest teams more quickly.

In my final, toughest battles, my Idols were not combined and fully developed with the higher levels, so I struggled to win with just two fully developed teams. As the game progresses, after a while you get sort of an instinct about what to do and find yourself making quick decisions. For me, it turned out to be a refreshing new variation.

As for grinding, I did some, but I found that the monsters dropped some of the best weapons and armor in the game - equipment not sold in stores. This made it worthwhile to fight, not to mention earning a special Idol by winning two-hundred battles in a row without running away.

In sum, the game is a lot better than I expected, and part of this is because of the unique battle system that worked for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:57 am 

Thank you for the reply. It does seem like a refreshing system. : )

I'm sure I'd really enjoy it (but only if the game is at a fair difficulty). The reason why I felt wary about the system in the first place was because training 3 teams at once seems overwhelmingly difficult (this game looks like it's going to be tough)!

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:45 am 
Site Admin

Zetshiro wrote:
Thank you for the reply. It does seem like a refreshing system. : )

I'm sure I'd really enjoy it (but only if the game is at a fair difficulty). The reason why I felt wary about the system in the first place was because training 3 teams at once seems overwhelmingly difficult (this game looks like it's going to be tough)!
Spoiler! :
In the immortal words of Ritchie - master of understatement - the final boss is "annoying". For toughness, I would rank that battle with Zophar in the Lunar series, but at least, I didn't get beaten the first time. Still, I really missed developed Idols to help wear him down, and at times, I felt I was losing more ground than I was gaining! Otherwise, I believe the story will pull most players along, especially if they are disposed to value the story aspects of games highly.

Unfortunately, no one has written comprehensive final boss strategies for this game anywhere that I'm aware of, so I was flying mostly by the seat-of-my-pants with only Ritchie's rudimentary advice to go on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:12 am 
Site Admin

Princess Minerva also has a 3 time system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next