Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post subject: Re: Silva Saga-II(e) Production Status
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 pm 

Yeah, the current form of the song is more than adequate. Got anymore things that need a bit of rhyming?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:18 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
Yeah, the current form of the song is more than adequate. Got anymore things that need a bit of rhyming?
I may very well. When I get to it/them, I'll post here. I'm at about V0.60 beta now, sailing along in the second half of the game. The drama is building, so I expect the bards' muses will soar.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

I have updated the Silva Saga-II Project page for "Team" and "Production Status".

http://www.dynamic-designs.us/silvasaga2.shtml

Having been on the road for a couple of days and not having access to my primary e-mail archives (an oversight not loading them into my "road" laptop), I have not been responsive to the following teammates regarding full coordination on various projects: Taskforce, Bongo`, and Recca, but with time available, I have been working on the Silva Saga-II module off and on via a flash chip.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Just to let everyone know, having reached V0.99 beta (project page updated), I am on the verge of passing this working ROM to Red Soul for the first comprehensive proofreading of the story and incorporating Shiva's latest revisions. From there, DRaken will likely conduct the final proofreading, then the game will go into full-blown beta testing. Garrett, I thought we might have some more poetry, but past Toran Castle, the teams entered much rougher territory such as ominous towers and lost undersea cities - not for those faint of heart such as we poor country bards!

Menu work and stabilizing this fragile game is taking much time, but the hard work of Bongo` is showing results. Just to share our latest endeavor, here is part of an article I lifted from an internal coordination board, concerning the management of Idols:

Our most recent exercise has been a bit tedious, but with menu expansion, we may now use words with the root "combine" instead of "join". Don't these four menu variations involved with Idol management appear perfect now?

I might as well mention here that Silva Saga-II has the most aggravating menus ever. Least little thing out of whack, and the game crashes! Game reassembly is also dictating hard and fast strictures to make the English format correctly. Among them, all of the main character's fighting companions and all mercenary team members must be spelled with five letters exactly, and all Idol names must be spelled with four letters. (Disregard the name "Sky" in the older save. It's now "Skye", and "Earth" has become "Soil", as you can see.) Also, most of the shield names are too long for some of the menus and have been respelled "Fossil Shld", for example. This was required because the game adds numerical values in places. i. e. "Fossil Shld +30"

Even with these fixes and workaround solutions, we still have a couple of probably unsolvable issues with punctuation. In one instance, an extra space appears between an Idol name and the period (.) at the end of the sentence . In another, an extra space appears at the end of a battle message between the last word and the exclamation point ! We will likely have to live with these.

Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:08 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
I might as well mention here that Silva Saga-II has the most aggravating menus ever.

//Looks over at Chaos Seed...
//Shakes head in remembrance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 am 
Site Admin

Beta testing status report:

Everything is proceeding reasonably well. We've run into previously undiscovered technical issues, but we're tracing them down, one by one, and fixing them.

At this point, we're not exactly sure when we'll release. We're striving to produce the highest quality patch possible and feel it's imperative to assure full quality control.

At this time, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the people on the team - everyone who has helped - for their efforts.

Especially, I want to pay tribute to those who have thrived on the exhaustive work and enjoyed producing this excellent gem of a game, putting their hearts and souls into the project: Bongo`, who over many years, totally reverse-engineered the code; Akujin, who translated half of the script and all of the miscellaneous files; Shiva, who rescued our partially translated script; Draken, who formatted most of the script and is painstakingly beta testing this very day; and finally, Red Soul, who is coordinating all of the testing and fixes during the lengthy, tedious, and seemingly never-ending evolution of advancing our patch from a V0.99 beta to a V1.00 release.

Collectively, I calculate the key members of our team have contributed several thousand hours bringing this patch to the brink of completion. Through the years, I hope players everywhere will appreciate the enthusiasm and perseverance these individuals dedicated to the effort. I am confident their passion and positive energy will make the English game shine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:18 am 
Site Admin

I've almost completed my (always speedy) beta test of the game. It really grew on me :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:52 pm 

I beat the game a few days ago.
Spoiler! :
Overall I thought it was alright, but ultimately standard RPG fare in the DQ vein. One of my impressions of the game is that it's an updated rehash of the first one. I actually haven't played beyond a few minutes of the first game, but I'm curious to see how both compare. Although I will say I was starting to like the game towards the end, but they effectively killed it at the end with the cookie cutter ending. But on the whole it wasn't a bad game at all and definitely worth playing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:36 pm 

oh man! I'm gettin so excited, even if its it just a standard ending, I'm really looking forward to this game. As always, thanks again everyone for the great work you do !! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Jhutch321 wrote:
oh man! I'm gettin so excited, even if its it just a standard ending, I'm really looking forward to this game. As always, thanks again everyone for the great work you do !! :D
You're welcome. As for SS-II - even though I loved it - I'm sure our English version of the game will be like all games. It will captivate some. It will please others. It will keep a few sourpusses who are never satisfied with anything occupied long enough to give them something to gripe about. As for those who don't fit these three categories, I promise you... Well, not one single storm trooper will invade their homes and force them to play SS-II. My full perspective follows:
Spoiler! :
This game possesses unique qualities. The mercenary system and the way it hot swaps and is available throughout the game was something totally new to me.

The Idol system adds yet another hot-swappable team to the mix and it's merge capability absolutely blew me away.

Regarding the ending, I don't write dark, tragic endings if the raw translation doesn't indicate that. In fact, I rather enjoy upbeat, positive, romantic endings more than any other kind - outcomes that parallel my own life - overwhelming successes against most challenges, winning the girl of my dreams, and living happily ever-after in paradise - truly blessed and empowered every day of my existence by the Almighty.

Oh, I'm trained well enough in my craft to write the heck out of cynical, dark endings if they're indicated in raw translations. I wrote two such demoralizing "gloom and doom" alternative outcomes in the Feda Chaos and Neutral endings. People who thrive on anti-hero catharses and identify with villians in their internet aliases probably loved the continuing carnage in the "bad" Feda endings.

Also, some tales are more story driven than character driven. As in real warfare, the people around you who rise to occasions and become towering heroes for a moment are usually monumentally boring and quite ordinary characters in real life. Although many RPGs feature "characters" who are depicted as ten-feet-tall or offbeat and zany - even in their sleep - overall, SS-II appeared to be story-driven, not character-driven. Nothing is wrong with the former style of prose because some game players enjoy concentrating on stories more than getting constantly sidetracked and distracted by character shenanigans. Sometimes, a broad spectrum of anecdotes that relate to the survival of a whole civilization is infinitely more interesting than the quirks of so-called "heroes" that God drafted out of their mundane lives to help save His children.

Nevertheless, the constantly rotating folks who assist the Light Warrior along the way are counting on the hero to ultimately carry the mail for them and the gods. Quickly, these momentary fighters fade back into their on mundane lives of work, study, and daily responsibilities - same as most of the rest of us. Regardless, numerous vignettes of poignant moments in the lives of the average people in this Minelvaton Saga installment offer a more than adequate microcosm of viewpoints that sufficiently express the sufferings and stoicism of the both the stronger proactive types and the physically weaker "victimized" citizenry.

Finally, if the pleasures gamers derive from playing traditional, classic RPGs outweigh the glee of picking them to pieces - just because they can - I predict many will enjoy this "new" RPG out of nowhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next