Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aretha English Patch V1.00 Released!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Please post any and all playing feedback here, including thoughts on the game itself, any possible bugs encountered, and other report-able observations.

Save frequently. In the event the rare "spinning world" original bug pops up (you'll know what I mean if you encounter it), a recent save will be most welcomed!

Post subject: Re: Aretha English Patch V1.00 Released!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:10 pm 

I wanted to leave this last night but could not but any way, Congrats DD! Another gem released to the English speaking and/or non Japanese speaking public!

I have been on an srpg kick as of late with SRW3 and Aeon Genesis recent SRW release, Fire Emblem 3 Books 1 and 2, Mobile Suit 0079/0080 and Galaxy robo so it will be really nice to have an JRPG for a change.

BTW are the Aretha games connected with Rejoice: Aretha Oukoku no Kanata? Or is it just a coincidence that Aretha is in the name? Seems like a kick butt game.

Any way, thanks for the hard work, I still owe you guys a review on Galaxy robo and will leave feedback on what I am sure is a stellar translation of Aretha 1 very soon.

How many hours would you say this is?

THANKS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
I wanted to leave this last night but could not but any way, Congrats DD! Another gem released to the English speaking and/or non Japanese speaking public!

I have been on an srpg kick as of late with SRW3 and Aeon Genesis recent SRW release, Fire Emblem 3 Books 1 and 2, Mobile Suit 0079/0080 and Galaxy robo so it will be really nice to have an JRPG for a change.

BTW are the Aretha games connected with Rejoice: Aretha Oukoku no Kanata? Or is it just a coincidence that Aretha is in the name? Seems like a kick butt game.

Any way, thanks for the hard work, I still owe you guys a review on Galaxy robo and will leave feedback on what I am sure is a stellar translation of Aretha 1 very soon.

How many hours would you say this is?

THANKS!
When helping create a patch, total length of straight-through playing is hard to gauge. One source indicated 60-65 hours. That may be the high side if you try to master "mixed-form" processes (converting gemstones to weapons) and find all of the super-secret treasures and items. Someone dashing through it might fight the final battle much sooner. Some team members are saying the game ends rather abruptly. Even with ROM expansion, we were pressed for bytes throughout, but part of the reason may be that the true sequel picks up where this one stops. The two games fit together seamlessly. Hope you enjoy it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

I'd say expect about 40 hours out of it. 50 if you really doddle around in game doing everything. I could see it being 60+ if you spend crazy amounts of time doing random things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:37 pm 

Congratulations on this new release! I'm glad I could be part of the beta-testing group. I also look forward to Odysselya II, really looks promising! (it gives me some Glory of Heracles IV vibes). If I can help in any way when that project reaches the open beta stage, I'll have my "bug-catching net" ready ;)

Congratulations again for this new feat, everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:10 pm 

So, does anyone want to share some useful combos for soul combos?

I think 10 fire gives you a good weapon, for example....But a lot of what I have been doing leads to fire shields, lite shields and the like.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
So, does anyone want to share some useful combos for soul combos?

I think 10 fire gives you a good weapon, for example....But a lot of what I have been doing leads to fire shields, lite shields and the like.
I wanted to do more with the Mixed Form, but I have a lot of irons in the fire. Something as complex as Mixed Form deserves its own FAQ. I have some Mixed Form charts from a Japanese website. It's all sort of jumbled, and some of the machine translations are screwy, but it's a starting point for anyone who wants to get a complete handle on the system.

http://www.asurafantasy.sakura.ne.jp/sfc/aresa1/mixtform.php

Generally speaking, if I remember correctly, the system creates items based upon which element is offered first.

Fire=Weapons
Water=Helmets
Wind=Accessories
Soil=Armor
Light=Shields

Below is a sample from the first chart (Fire Soul), from which weapons may be fabricated (machine translated rip).

As I recall, the Arabian Sword was available fairly early in the game and quite a potent upgrade, compared to what was for sale in the shops. In Aretha-II, I got into Mixed Form a bit deeper. If you want to really power up your team, Mixed Form is well worth it. Beats grinding! Of course, trying to harvest the souls takes time. To target specific types, the monster guide will assist you in finding which monsters carry what souls.

Finally, here is some info on special items I had to dig out of Japanese websites. I don't believe Ritchie covered all of these features in his FAQ. This is "Super Spoiler" information, I would say.

Spoiler! :
How to obtain the Zoppy Sword

In the town of Rainbow, examine the messages that appear on a chest five times.
Receive the Zoppy Sword.

How to obtain the Trinea

Fly Fang to the Elysia Kingdom in the Fort Walzak area.
From there, fly east to the round-shaped island and walk into the woods.
A strong dragon will appear.
Defeat this enemy to win the unlimited HP and MP recovery and State recovery item.

How to obtain the Millennium

Search the cliffs northeast of the pond atop Mt. Conlon.
The monster Tributor will appear.
After the battle, you acquite the Millennium special item.
Use this virtually anywhere to shop for goods remotely.

How to obtain the Testament

On the summit of Mt. Zaurus in the Billia region, examine the NE cliffs.
This is down the steps near where the Mixed Form Magician is standing.
TestDrag appears.
Defeat TestDrag and win the Testament.
Use the Testament to elevate all party members to Level 99.

How to obtain the Aretha CD

Arrange three gemstones in the proper order at the pillars in the hidden room.
The Aretha CD contains tracks of the game's music.
(The gemstones are at Cause Mountain, Mt. Pinot, and Rainbow Town.)

Elixir B unlimited supply

Search the pillows on a bed in a Port Dotton hut.
You will find the Elixir B item.
The supply is unlimited.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a taste of the game, the first 11 chapters (of 106 total) played with a French narration. BTW, it was fun watching this gamer search for a solution for following a mysterious dwarf! In the scheme of things, when compared to other chapters, the first 11 in Aretha are of a fairly short duration.

If anyone watches this and notices the uneven formatting in some screens, it's mostly intentional. It's because players have the capability of using a menu function to change the names of fighters and make them up to six characters long. Due to using a variable width font (vwf), some letters require considerably more line space than others.

Also, we retained a fair amount of colored text, but doing so made spacing a bit uneven in places. That was the trade-off - perfect spacing with vwf or retaining one of the features that adds to giving the Aretha series its own unique charm.

Special thanks goes out to Taskforce for playing the entire game, just to ensure that each line would have the space to display the longest possible names without causing any line overruns.

BTW, that longest possible name is "WWWWWW". People aren't very likely to input that name, but if they do, we're covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9spg21GDJk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:27 pm 

Hi guys, new to the forum. I downloaded this shortly after the patch was posted and jumped right in and so far im really enjoying it. Ive been playing it on a raspberry pi and so far I have not encountered any bugs/glitches. I just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work you guys do in bringing all these games into English and keep up the hard work! I always look forward to the next release. thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:07 am 

First of all, congratulations on another fine release! Aretha is a fun game, and now it can be enjoyed in English. To everyone involved, thank you.

Due to work, I've only been able to play about an hour or so, but I've already found a few minor issues. Since it's a bit lengthy, and so as not to clutter the board with walls of text, I've uploaded a .zip file with pictures and a .doc file here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cyt42a3ag ... D.zip/file

I wasn't sure who to send the file to (based on the ReadMe, I'd guess Wildbill, but I'm not sure), or whether I should e-mail it or not, so I decided to upload this one. If you'd rather I e-mail it instead, let me know, otherwise I can continue uploading the file(s) to Mediafire. If you'd rather I post everything in this thread...well, if you're sure, I can do that, but I'm afraid I wasn't exaggerating when I said "wall of text" earlier.

Unfortunately, I've been busy with work the last few days, so I haven't had much free time. I've got a couple of days off from work coming up, so I'll continue playing the game then. If I see anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks again...it's really nice to be able to play the game in English.