Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Re: Aretha English Patch V1.00 Released!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:33 pm 

Bwah117 wrote:
Atelier Tohka wrote:
Just want to ask something about the game. When I was playing it for a little bit, I noticed that there aren't any damage counters. Is it supposed to be that way or is that a bug?

Well, I fired up the original Japanese rom and it's the same (no damage counters), so I think it's supposed to be that way. I'm not that far into the game, but, from all the battles I've been in, it appears none of them have any kind of damage counters. That may (or may not) change later in the game, though I'm going to guess...not. Despite that, it's still a fun game and I'm enjoying it so far.

No damage counter whatsoever, this is coming from someone who played all the way to the end of the game

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:01 pm 

Ryan914: That's what I thought. Thanks for verifying it, though! It would have been nice to have something, at least an enemy life bar which decreases with each hit, but it's not really necessary. Most RPG's do provide some kind of indicator, but not this one. In any case, since the game is on the easy side, I don't think it's that important. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:58 pm 

Alright. Only reason I bring it up was because it had me a little concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:04 am 

My main gripes are only with the original creators of this game. I really disliked that no damage counter or even any numbers flashing by the enemy could be seen so you could never tell how much damage you were doing and thus what the most effective attack was. Very....archaic even for 1994 and there was no way of knowing unless you just assumed the most costly MP spell was the best spell to cast. But again, who knows. I just spammed, I think it was, Nova for half the game and it seemed to do the trick for the most part. I got that pretty early because I always used magic.

Kind of unfair too how using 90 or 100 of a gem could net you the same item as if you had used, sometimes, 10 or less. Example: 99 water gems gets you a scarf but so does 4...seriously? Why punish a player for using 99 or 100 only to give them junk? And there were tons of examples like that and IMO, the gem system was poorly constructed. Or how for some items I never found a character who could equip them, like the trench coat, don't recall who that actually goes with (think it cost 10 of the earth gems).

As for the translation/hack, just a few things but otherwise amazing. I came across a few graphic glitches, pics posted below.

The last two are from trying to use the Millennium. It seems it is currently impossible to use that item.

I was never able to beat the TestDrag. I must have hit it like 80 to 90 times or more with a level 58 nova. No luck. An instance where no enemy meter or even numbers is really awful. So I just skipped that, after it twice wasted about 25 to 30 minutes of my time and just went ahead and beat the game at level 60.

Not sure what caused the other glitch (pic 1) btw.

My main gripes are with the original creators of this game and how a little extra could have made a great game. I hope aretha 2 improves upon this title and its shortfalls. Aside from 1 or 2 graphic glitches this was a great translation and hack.

Oh, I forgot one thing, when I beat that dragon who holds the millennium the first time the screen just scrolled from screen to screen nonstop. Walked away for ten minutes and it was still scrolling when I came back, not sure why that happened. MY second fight with him, thankfully, did not lead to that error. But again the item that allows you to buy no matter where you are does not work.

Attachments:
Aretha (Japan).022.png
Aretha (Japan).022.png [ 19.7 KiB | Viewed 11085 times ]
Aretha (Japan).021.png
Aretha (Japan).021.png [ 8.1 KiB | Viewed 11085 times ]
Aretha (Japan).008.png
Aretha (Japan).008.png [ 17.44 KiB | Viewed 11085 times ]

Last edited by DoubleDvideogames on Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:03 am 

Here's Report 5:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qnnucxq05 ... D.zip/file

And, with that, it's time for my coffee break! Report 6 will follow shortly (after my coffee break, that is :) )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 pm 

Report #6:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/um07yw121 ... D.zip/file

Next report will be up shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
First of all, congratulations on another fine release! Aretha is a fun game, and now it can be enjoyed in English. To everyone involved, thank you.

Due to work, I've only been able to play about an hour or so, but I've already found a few minor issues. Since it's a bit lengthy, and so as not to clutter the board with walls of text, I've uploaded a .zip file with pictures and a .doc file here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cyt42a3ag ... D.zip/file

I wasn't sure who to send the file to (based on the ReadMe, I'd guess Wildbill, but I'm not sure), or whether I should e-mail it or not, so I decided to upload this one. If you'd rather I e-mail it instead, let me know, otherwise I can continue uploading the file(s) to Mediafire. If you'd rather I post everything in this thread...well, if you're sure, I can do that, but I'm afraid I wasn't exaggerating when I said "wall of text" earlier.

Unfortunately, I've been busy with work the last few days, so I haven't had much free time. I've got a couple of days off from work coming up, so I'll continue playing the game then. If I see anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks again...it's really nice to be able to play the game in English.
I've been away for a few days and have returned. When I get better settled in, I'll take a look at your upload soon. Appreciate the f/b and might mention that if you find a few scattered typos, text overruns, etc., we have the Mantis bug tracker available for this game. We always have players who see text options in the file structures that never came up in either building the game or beta testing. Mantis is the most efficient way to manage these. Thanks again to you, too!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Atelier Tohka wrote:
Just want to ask something about the game. When I was playing it for a little bit, I noticed that there aren't any damage counters. Is it supposed to be that way or is that a bug?

Well, I fired up the original Japanese rom and it's the same (no damage counters), so I think it's supposed to be that way. I'm not that far into the game, but, from all the battles I've been in, it appears none of them have any kind of damage counters. That may (or may not) change later in the game, though I'm going to guess...not. Despite that, it's still a fun game and I'm enjoying it so far.
Thanks for running this down!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Atelier Tohka wrote:
Alright. Only reason I bring it up was because it had me a little concerned.
Right before I had to leave for about a week, Bongo` informed us that this "spinning world glitch" was an "original" bug. That means it exists in the Japanese version, too, triggered by similar random battle decisions and outcomes that remain vague. While building the patch, I had it happen to me a few times, and Draken experienced it at least once.

To have a chance of fixing that bug, we would need a save state of it captured with SNES9x V1.43. That's an older version of that emulator that has a de-bugger feature built in.

I did beat TestDrag a few times, but I don't recall how. I believe it was physical hits only and applying the spells and/or items periodically that enhanced striking force. As I recall, very few magic attacks (if any) had any effect. Without a damage counter, I never knew how much headway I was making. I do recall that the TestDrag battles were excruciatingly looooong!

I thought we had the glitches ironed out on "pixelating" sprites and such. To search for solutions, we will need saves of some kind just before those happen.

I do not recall Aretha-II being as "buggy" as this game. Currently, Taskforce is playing through A-II for the purpose of long name-formatting. If he finds similar glitches, I'm sure he'll input them into our Mantis bug tracker software.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:44 pm 

@Wildbill: Sorry I was unable to contribute anything to Aretha-I. :( My hope is that the dreaded "real life" will at least allow me to continue with SSMS-II in the near future...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next