Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Re: Aretha English Patch V1.00 Released!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 pm 

Quote:
I've been away for a few days and have returned. When I get better settled in, I'll take a look at your upload soon. Appreciate the f/b and might mention that if you find a few scattered typos, text overruns, etc., we have the Mantis bug tracker available for this game. We always have players who see text options in the file structures that never came up in either building the game or beta testing. Mantis is the most efficient way to manage these. Thanks again to you, too!

Not a problem, Wildbill. I know how it is, so take your time :) Hmm...back during testing for G.O.D., Draken mentioned something about a bug tracker and asked if I'd rather post to the tracker instead of sending in reports the way I am doing now. I replied that I'm pretty flexible, so whichever method he preferred I use was fine with me. I'm guessing that, since I was already used to writing up these reports, Draken suggested I continue sending in the reports as I had been (that is, this way, written separately, along with snapshots). I said all that just to say this: the Mantis bug tracker? I've seen references to it on the board and can infer it's an online bug tracker testers log into and post reports to, but I have no idea where it's at or how to get there.

I'll tell you the same thing I told Draken: Whichever method you prefer, I can accommodate. I've never used the tracker, and I don't know how suited it is to some of the things in my reports (my reports are...well, most of the issues are stand-alone, but some are multi-item, and a few of the issues span TWO separate, back-to-back text windows). Actually, I'm just about done writing up report #7...should be finished in about...oh, 5 minutes. Anyway, if you prefer I post to the bug tracker please let me know (along with any necessary info), otherwise I'll continue as I have been. Oh, and my e-mail address is Bwah117@yahoo.com, should you need to e-mail me (even though it's a "disposable" e-mail address, it's my main e-mail address and I check it every day).

Okay! Back to work for me! Gotta get this report finished.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:38 am 

Wildbill: If you're going to download my reports, I'll list them all in this post so you won't have to slog through all the previous pages of this thread:

Report 1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/cyt42a3ag ... D.zip/file
Report 2: http://www.mediafire.com/file/55pbsbqi5 ... D.zip/file
Report 3: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2cdt8mrkl ... D.zip/file
Report 4: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nptl6468z ... D.zip/file
Report 5: http://www.mediafire.com/file/qnnucxq05 ... D.zip/file
Report 6: http://www.mediafire.com/file/um07yw121 ... D.zip/file
Report 7: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8dgvue19y ... D.zip/file

If you have any questions about anything in the reports, let me know and I'll get right back to you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:51 am 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Quote:
I've been away for a few days and have returned. When I get better settled in, I'll take a look at your upload soon. Appreciate the f/b and might mention that if you find a few scattered typos, text overruns, etc., we have the Mantis bug tracker available for this game. We always have players who see text options in the file structures that never came up in either building the game or beta testing. Mantis is the most efficient way to manage these. Thanks again to you, too!

Not a problem, Wildbill. I know how it is, so take your time :) Hmm...back during testing for G.O.D., Draken mentioned something about a bug tracker and asked if I'd rather post to the tracker instead of sending in reports the way I am doing now. I replied that I'm pretty flexible, so whichever method he preferred I use was fine with me. I'm guessing that, since I was already used to writing up these reports, Draken suggested I continue sending in the reports as I had been (that is, this way, written separately, along with snapshots). I said all that just to say this: the Mantis bug tracker? I've seen references to it on the board and can infer it's an online bug tracker testers log into and post reports to, but I have no idea where it's at or how to get there.

I'll tell you the same thing I told Draken: Whichever method you prefer, I can accommodate. I've never used the tracker, and I don't know how suited it is to some of the things in my reports (my reports are...well, most of the issues are stand-alone, but some are multi-item, and a few of the issues span TWO separate, back-to-back text windows). Actually, I'm just about done writing up report #7...should be finished in about...oh, 5 minutes. Anyway, if you prefer I post to the bug tracker please let me know (along with any necessary info), otherwise I'll continue as I have been. Oh, and my e-mail address is Bwah117@yahoo.com, should you need to e-mail me (even though it's a "disposable" e-mail address, it's my main e-mail address and I check it every day).

Okay! Back to work for me! Gotta get this report finished.
I'll refer to Taskforce regarding Mantis and you. For now, stay with what you're doing. If Taskforce believes Mantis access is good for all concerned, look it over and see what you think. One advantage of Mantis is the ability to refer hacking changes directly to Bongo', as well as graphics and font matters to Taskforce via one instrument without shuffling e-mails around with forwards, cc'ing, etc. The whole record remains in one place permantly, quickly accessible for team members to review any time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:03 am 

Wildbill: Sounds good, thanks! I'll continue along as I have been, then. With that last report out of the way, I'm off to continue the game!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:34 pm 

Love the game so far. Tried to submit the news to romhacking.net and was told I really suck at submitting news and I shouldn't do it again. So I absolutely will never try something like that again.

Anyway, thank you so much for this. It's a fun, and slightly frustrating game. the spritework is gorgeous though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:59 pm 

Wildbill: I was going to continue writing the next report, when it occurred to me...back when I uploaded my first report, I made a note inside the report regarding ellipses, and whether or not you wanted to mess with them. I realize it may be a stylistic choice to use them like that. If so, just let me know. I didn't realize you were not available at the time, so I interpreted your silence as a "go ahead and keep listing them" sign, which I did. In light of the fact that you just returned, however, I think it would be silly of me to continue as I have been. What I'll do is wait until I hear from you, then I'll continue from there.

In the meantime, I've been plodding along in the game. I *did* stumble across a stray hiragana character, though: if you cast the "Repel" spell, enemy encounters will cease temporarily. However, as the spell's effect ends, the "KE" hiragana flashes on the screen, immediately replaced by an English notice informing you the spell's effect has ended (see pics). Normally I wouldn't post them here, as I'd rather just lump them all together into one larger report, but it may take you a few days to get back to me and I figured I may as well kill two birds with one stone (since I'm posting already, might as well post this also). Oh, I don't think it matters, but I'm using Higan v1.06, but I also checked this behavior in Zsnes and it's the same. I do have a save and save state, but I don't think they'll be necessary as this is easily reproduced.

Okay, back to the game!

Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 122.15 KiB | Viewed 15862 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Well, I reported that bug twice on the tracker, and I think they got it fixed, but it looks to have reared its ugly head once again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:30 am 

Draken: Well, you know how it goes...sometimes a fix will cause a regression elsewhere in the rom (which usually doesn't show up until later). Reminds me of that G.O.D. bug, where anyone knocked out in battle would be unable to revive. Anyway, I'll add this to a list of "things to keep an eye on", so when Aretha gets an update that'll be one of the first things I check.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Wildbill: I was going to continue writing the next report, when it occurred to me...back when I uploaded my first report, I made a note inside the report regarding ellipses, and whether or not you wanted to mess with them. I realize it may be a stylistic choice to use them like that. If so, just let me know. I didn't realize you were not available at the time, so I interpreted your silence as a "go ahead and keep listing them" sign, which I did. In light of the fact that you just returned, however, I think it would be silly of me to continue as I have been. What I'll do is wait until I hear from you, then I'll continue from there.

In the meantime, I've been plodding along in the game. I *did* stumble across a stray hiragana character, though: if you cast the "Repel" spell, enemy encounters will cease temporarily. However, as the spell's effect ends, the "KE" hiragana flashes on the screen, immediately replaced by an English notice informing you the spell's effect has ended (see pics). Normally I wouldn't post them here, as I'd rather just lump them all together into one larger report, but it may take you a few days to get back to me and I figured I may as well kill two birds with one stone (since I'm posting already, might as well post this also). Oh, I don't think it matters, but I'm using Higan v1.06, but I also checked this behavior in Zsnes and it's the same. I do have a save and save state, but I don't think they'll be necessary as this is easily reproduced.

Okay, back to the game!

Attachment:
1.png
I am wrapped up in estate matters this week, related my mother passing away. I have scanned your first and final reports and find all of your points valid. It's just whether I want to get into what is basically a rewrite (in random scenes). Recently, Draken and I had the ellipses debate. I also went around with this same subject about 10 or 15 years ago with someone in regard to Lennus-II, Mystic Ark, or one of those back then, a person who felt the Japanese usages of ellipses were excessive and when carried over detracted from the English flow.

Basically, I do tend to stick with the ellipses pretty much as the Japanese original, but maybe their style of hesitating in speech patterns is culturally different, and maybe that's excessive in an English script. Across the board, I eliminate almost 100% of ellipses BEFORE a sentence, frequently shifting them to the end of the sentence, especially when the speakers continue through multiple strings containing additional leading ellipses. Bytes were very tight in both Arethas. It wouldn't hurt to eliminate a "ton" of them.

Let me get back to you in a few days. At the rate where you are in the game through Report 7, I am roughly calculating you might pull 1000 graphics by game's end. On the surface, that's a bit daunting to both of us, but it appears we'll need a revision with these new reports of hacking glitches. So, before I decide, I want to review all seven of your reports. I'll tell you also that time is a factor. I need to prepare the next release right now - probably the one that needs the least amount of graphics conversions.

Thank you for your hard work. You remind me of a few specific VERY meticulous copy editors and proofreaders I worked with during one of my careers (civilian and navy journalist, and later when much more senior, command public affairs officer - collateral duty).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Draken: Well, you know how it goes...sometimes a fix will cause a regression elsewhere in the rom (which usually doesn't show up until later). Reminds me of that G.O.D. bug, where anyone knocked out in battle would be unable to revive. Anyway, I'll add this to a list of "things to keep an eye on", so when Aretha gets an update that'll be one of the first things I check.
I loaded the update hack. Here it is. I just cross-checked the download of AI_RomText.asm with the one inserted from SRC. It's there, symbol by symbol. It's also in the batch file:

tools\xkas.exe src\AI_RomText.asm Aretha.smc >> ErrorMSG.txt

And in the Error.txt:

'Script\RomText1\ROM_Text.txt' was successfully inserted!

So, everything appears in order, but the glitch still comes up! WTF!? (Gremlins!)

Here's the actual fix (AI_RomText.asm):

lorom

;----------------------;
; Main routine's start ;
;----------------------;
main(){
;------------------------------;
; Fix where the RomText is ;
; loaded from. ;
;------------------------------;
org $04DB0A
db $0C

org $00AAB1
db $0C

org $008460
db $0C

org $019133
db $0C

; Newest Addition [ Light Map Error ]
org $00838F
db $0C

}

All I can think of is we're maybe missing a translated string to add to a Misc or Text file.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next