Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Aretha(-I) Enters Full Beta Testing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:42 am 
Site Admin

Good to have you back. :) I'm heading on vacation for 10 days so I won't be doing any project work during that time.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Good to have you back. :) I'm heading on vacation for 10 days so I won't be doing any project work during that time.
Enjoy your vacation!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:08 pm 

Hello! I'm a french player and when I was a kid I was fond of my SNES (I would say that I have played to 30+ games). I'm still a gamer and of course I couldn't resist to the appeal of the snes mini (Nintendo knows how to take my money). The choice of game was frustating so I decided to hack it though I was scared xD I don't like to play that much with an emulator but I really enjoyed to play with the Snes Mini. Nostalgia and games without 2 hours tutorials !

So now I try to create the ULTIMATE Snes with every good games even some I don't know yet.
I found luckily a list of every SNES games roms released and I have already spent a lot of time considering which games could be great (or not !) When I saw the game Aretha, I thought that it must be good because there are 2 games (and even more on gameboy). I was sad that there were no translation for this RPG. On a video on youtube I saw that Dynamic Designs was considering to translate the game. Now I can see that you haven't given up the project. I just wanted to thank you for your work. Thanks to people like you, people from around the world can play to any game of the past. I know that the greatest games like chrono trigger are translated since a long time but it is also cool to play to the others. For instance, one of my favorite snes RPG is mystic quest legend and it is considered as a poor game, classic and easy, yet i still love it! If I was able to say to the "8 years old me" that someday gamers will give him the opportunity to play every SNES games (even jap and us) he wants, he would go crazy :shock:

Again thank you !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:24 pm 

Hey there! I'm a french guy and i'm not really into emulation. However Nintendo knows how to take my money and I bought the Snes Mini out of nostalgia. I was quickly frustated by the list of games included (when I was a kid I played to 30+ games ) so, though I was scared to do it, I decided to hack it. I've played to games that I didn't know and I had a great time so now I want to try everything that seems to be good.

I quickly noticed Aretha because : It starts with an A xD
There are 2 games (bad games rarely gets sequel)
It looks pretty good and I like RPG

I was disappointed to see that there is no translation of the games. Of course, the most popular are already translated (chrono trigger and co) but I think that games like Aretha deserves some love too (to be translated). For instance one of my favorite SNES RPG is Mystic Quest Legend and it is considered as a poor and easy game é_è

Later I saw on youtube that Dynamic Designs was working on it and now I can see that you're about to succeed. I want to thank you for your work. Thanks to you people around the world can play to these forgotten games. I think that if could talk to the "8 years old me" I would be so happy to know that someday I will be able to play EVERY SNES games for free. Again thank you and keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Gaeon wrote:
Hey there! I'm a french guy and i'm not really into emulation. However Nintendo knows how to take my money and I bought the Snes Mini out of nostalgia. I was quickly frustated by the list of games included (when I was a kid I played to 30+ games ) so, though I was scared to do it, I decided to hack it. I've played to games that I didn't know and I had a great time so now I want to try everything that seems to be good.

I quickly noticed Aretha because : It starts with an A xD
There are 2 games (bad games rarely gets sequel)
It looks pretty good and I like RPG

I was disappointed to see that there is no translation of the games. Of course, the most popular are already translated (chrono trigger and co) but I think that games like Aretha deserves some love too (to be translated). For instance one of my favorite SNES RPG is Mystic Quest Legend and it is considered as a poor and easy game é_è

Later I saw on youtube that Dynamic Designs was working on it and now I can see that you're about to succeed. I want to thank you for your work. Thanks to you people around the world can play to these forgotten games. I think that if could talk to the "8 years old me" I would be so happy to know that someday I will be able to play EVERY SNES games for free. Again thank you and keep up the good work!
It won't be too much longer. Appreciate the kind words and hope you will enjoy Aretha (I)!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:55 am 

Hello to everyone again, it's been quite some time since I last wrote here. I see there's some movement in the this thread so I'd wanted to say that, during this month I did Aretha a second pass, I haven't found any other issue worth reporting. As I stated a few weeks ago, I've tried to complete the bestiary to see if there are any typo or similar issues in the descriptions. Didn't manage to complete it 100%, but was pretty close to, and found no issues. The translation itself was so polished it was near flawless to begin with ;)

I've also read your post about your family member's passing, Wildbill. You have my deepest condolences.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 am 
Site Admin

akualung wrote:
Hello to everyone again, it's been quite some time since I last wrote here. I see there's some movement in the this thread so I'd wanted to say that, during this month I did Aretha a second pass, I haven't found any other issue worth reporting. As I stated a few weeks ago, I've tried to complete the bestiary to see if there are any typo or similar issues in the descriptions. Didn't manage to complete it 100%, but was pretty close to, and found no issues. The translation itself was so polished it was near flawless to begin with ;)

I've also read your post about your family member's passing, Wildbill. You have my deepest condolences.
I appreciate that a lot. My disabled brother is having a rough time. My mother took care of him most of his life until her severe dementia set in. He's in a nursing home system now, receiving the best possible care, but the staff tells me he lies around a lot just staring at the ceiling. I've got to look in on him for a while until we get him better adjusted.

Glad to hear about Aretha. I need to look at Draken's final reports. Drake's been pretty thorough with the monster guide checks. The trick, a you're aware, is trying to find and defeat ALL of them! It shouldn't be very long now. Thanks again, for everything.

A bit later, do you have time to help me smooth out the wrinkles in Odysselya-II - sort of a pre-beta "murder board", as it were? Much of the action takes place on your side of the pond! This wouldn't be a rush process but quite methodical. It's a very complex story.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:24 pm 

Hi, Wildbill. Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your loss. The only death around me was a good friend of mine, many years ago, and that hurt a LOT. I can only imagine what you're going through with the loss of a family member. I won't try to offer words of comfort, as they'd just sound hollow at a time like this. What I will say, however, is "I'm sorry.", and offer my heartfelt condolences.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Hi, Wildbill. Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your loss. The only death around me was a good friend of mine, many years ago, and that hurt a LOT. I can only imagine what you're going through with the loss of a family member. I won't try to offer words of comfort, as they'd just sound hollow at a time like this. What I will say, however, is "I'm sorry.", and offer my heartfelt condolences.
I appreciate your condolences very much, Bwah117! You know, when I write stories, fictional characters suffer grievous loses of family members and companions who perish heroically, either by giving lifetimes of support to survivors or through direct conflicts with deadly adversaries.

My mother (and father) were the former. Everything I've been able to accomplish is by virtue of their support and the values they've inculcated within me. I suppose what I'm trying to say is what I've experienced in loss recently and the effect it's had on me will hopefully help me become better at everything I attempt going forward - including writing - because the stories we enjoy in our gaming hobby are actually anecdotes of what we all endure in real-life experiences.

A tribute both of my late parents deserve is to praise them for teaching me, by example, to feel empathy for humans who suffer for any reason. The challenge for me is the express these emotions eloquently in the words of the stories I write. I would hope to do that as well as the words of comfort you extended to me.

So, you see, nothing you said sounds hollow to me. On the contrary, I would say you expressed them very well, and once again, I thank you!