Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aretha Spells
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

One of the hardest tasks in this game has been working out the magic spells and determining what they do. I have tried a new technique of entering Kanji and Kana directly into a search engine. Frequently, I come up with a hit that converts it into English. Well, I found something even better by accident - an Aretha-related website in Japanese.

So, I used a technique that a fellow named Shawn showed me (a friend of Garrett's who did some SSMS-I beta testing). I ran the entire URL through a translation engine. What I came up with wasn't perfect, but it provided a wealth of information for extrapolating all the information I needed to finally translate all of the spells. The trick was to select terms containing 8 letters or fewer. These charts could be easily converted into refined products of English strategy guide quality. I'll publish them here to help future players of this game.

Post subject: Re: Aretha Spells
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:03 pm 

I'd still run your choices by a human translator first.
That look very... machine-translated. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:18 pm 

I'd imagine that this is just a table to give a general idea of what each spell does and the table will be rewritten so it flows better in English.

I personally wouldn't mind spending time to rewrite that so it flows better, but that's up to the team here.

That said, wouldn't it make more sense to change the lightning-related spell names (like Thunder Force/Thunder Gil) to something else like Lightning Force or Electric force? It doesn't sound quite as good, but thunder is the sound made from lightning, so I think it might make more sense to change it.

Games like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts still use spells names like Thundaga, though, so it might make more sense to leave it as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:49 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:55 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:

Ha! Ha...! Dad-burn Thunder...! Dad-blame Spurs...! We're gonna getcha... we're gonna getcha...!! NEXT year!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:19 am 
Site Admin

Suineg wrote:
I'd imagine that this is just a table to give a general idea of what each spell does and the table will be rewritten so it flows better in English.

I personally wouldn't mind spending time to rewrite that so it flows better, but that's up to the team here.

That said, wouldn't it make more sense to change the lightning-related spell names (like Thunder Force/Thunder Gil) to something else like Lightning Force or Electric force? It doesn't sound quite as good, but thunder is the sound made from lightning, so I think it might make more sense to change it.

Games like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts still use spells names like Thundaga, though, so it might make more sense to leave it as it is.
Exactly! You picked up on my point precisely. And... You're on...!

I would relish the idea of you making nice spell charts for our translation. We would release them with the patch, etc.

I will make these spells anything people like. Just remember the 8-character limit.

Here's what they are at the moment. All interested parties... look them over. Tell me what you think. I'm all ears...

Only one is killin' me. It's "Wired". No clue what it does... The description says it's a "Catch-22". Say, what!? This is a beta test kind of mystery.

Here's a tip. Different spell-casters have spells that do the same exact thing as another fighter having magic skills, but the Japanese authors named these parallel spells something different. *Shrug*

many of my spell names as inserted right now are designed to tell me what the heck is going on while I'm writing this game.

But I've got worse problems muddying the water... Some monsters come up casting spells that are the names of other monsters, not spell names. I've got a lot of glitches and re-formatting to do before we even think about beta testing. Meanwhile, I know what's really going on on in this sleeper RPG, and I'm enjoying the heck out of playing it a second time through in ENGLISH!

Heal A ; ヒーリングA
Heal B ; ヒーリングB
Heal C ; ヒーリングC
Heal D ; ヒーリングD
Guard A ; プロテクションA
Guard B ; プロテクションB
Guard C ; プロテクションC
Guard D ; プロテクションD
Power A ; ストレングスA
Power B ; ストレングスB
Power C ; ストレングスC
Power D ; ストレングスD
Fire A ; ファイアボールA
Fire B ; ファイアボールB
Fire C ; ファイアボールC
Remove A ; リムーブA
Remove B ; リムーブB
Remove C ; リムーブC
Sleep ; スリープ
Fear ; フィア
Wired ; ワイアード
Poison ; ポイズンボール
Stone ; ロック
Illusion ; イリュージョン
Confuse ; コンフュージョン
Death ; デススペル
Dispel ; ディスペル
SealZone ; シールフィールド
Resurrect ; リサレクション
Teleport ; テレポート
Force A ; フォースA
Force B ; フォースB
Freshen A ; ファム
Freshen B ; レ・ファム
Freshen C ; レィ・ファム
Freshen D ; ヴァン・ファム
Freshen E ; ディノス・ファム
Goblet ; カリス
Chalice ; ヴァン・カリス
Attack A ; エポド
Attack B ; レ・エポド
Attack C ; レィ・エポド
Attack D ; ディノス・エポド
Gird A ; ギリサ
Gird B ; レ・ギリサ
Gird C ; レィ・ギリサ
Gird D ; ディノス・ギリサ
Speed A ; テクス
Speed B ; レ・テクス
Speed C ; レィ・テクス
Speed D ; ディノス・テクス
Weaken ; パラム・エポド Parham-Epodo
Expose ; パラム・ギリサ Parham-Girisa
Slow ; パラム・テクス Parham-Tex
Hypnose ; ヒュプノス
Terrify ; クリエィン Kurie~in
Catch-22 ; ティパシティ Tipashiti
Taint ; エメイン
Infect ; ヴァン・エメイン
Petrify ; リトス
Confuse ; セヴデシス Sevudeshisu
Muddle ; エクサルス Ekusarusu
M63 ; M63
Blind ; ダクネス
Death ; テュシアー Te~yushia
TempSeal ; ケーラ Kayla
MAG Seal ; ディノス・ケーラ Dinos Kayla
Recover ; クァネフィー Ku anefi
Negate ; バプティ Baputi
Bounce ; テラス Terrace
HP Grab ; HPジェーマ
MP Grab ; MPジェーマ
Curse ; アポクリフィ Apokurifi
Exorcise ; セルァス Seru~asu
Escape ; エスカティ Esukati
Warp ; イーレ
Outside ; レディーレ
Buffer ; ティクシス Tikushisu
Evade ; イリニスティ Irinisuti
Flame A ; ファイアバーンA
Flame B ; ファイアバーンB
Flame C ; ファイアバーンC
FireBolt ; ファイアボルト
FireForc ; ファイアフォース
Aqua A ; アクアマッドA
Aqua B ; アクアマッドB
Aqua C ; アクアマッドC
AquaBolt ; アクアボルト
AquaGush ; アクアフォース
TwisterA ; エアポーズA
TwisterB ; エアポーズB
TwisterC ; エアポーズC
Air Bolt ; エアボルト
AirForce ; エアフォース
Zap A ; サンダーギルA
Zap B ; サンダーギルB
Zap C ; サンダーギルC
Zapper ; サンダーボルト
Thunder ; サンダーフォース
Moon A ; ブライトムーンA
Moon B ; ブライトムーンB
Moon C ; ブライトムーンC
Bolt ; ブライトボルト
Spark ; ブライトフォース
Big Fire ; ファイアグレート
Aqua Max ; アクアマキシマム
AirTrack ; エアトラックス
Zap Bomb ; シュペルグローム
AirBlast ; シャインバースト
Nova ; ノーヴァ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:38 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Only one is killin' me. It's "Wired". No clue what it does... The description says it's a "Catch-22". Say, what!? This is a beta test kind of mystery.

Well, according to Bing and http://gesato.com/gb/aretha2/data.html , "金縛り状態にし、防御力を下げる※" translates to "Lower the defenses and then tied down state", which probably means it decreases the enemy's defence and paralyses them/makes them go to sleep. ("金縛り状態" translates to state of sleep paralysis, so I'm not sure which one or if it's both.)

Good luck with the monster/spell casting problem. It sounds like it would be difficult to fix.

EDIT: I created a spell chart for the attack spells with the names Wildbill suggested. Would it be better to have separate documents or compile them all into one?

I'm currently compiling the stat-affecting spells.

Also, a minor suggestion: AirBlast (according to some translation software) should be translated to shineburst and it doesn't have a wind affinity, so that could be a bit misleading. Perhapse MoonForc or an equivalent would be better? It coud be fine as it is, though...

EDIT 2:

I compiled all of the spells from http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx , but there were some conflicts between the information. For example, Wildbill's post here said "テュシアー" translates to "death", but running the website through a translation says the effect of that spell is confusing the enemy. I wasn't quite sure which to use in that case.

Anyway, they've all been attached below. I'll make amends if someone decides to change the spell names or if there's an inconsistency, though.

Attachments:
File comment: A zip file containing 3 PDF documents with all the spells in Aretha, separated in categories.
Aretha spells.zip [171.28 KiB]
Downloaded 943 times
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:13 am 
Site Admin

Suineg wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Well, according to Bing and http://gesato.com/gb/aretha2/data.html , "金縛り状態にし、防御力を下げる※" translates to "Lower the defenses and then tied down state", which probably means it decreases the enemy's defence and paralyses them/makes them go to sleep. ("金縛り状態" translates to state of sleep paralysis, so I'm not sure which one or if it's both.)

Good luck with the monster/spell casting problem. It sounds like it would be difficult to fix.

EDIT: I created a spell chart for the attack spells with the names Wildbill suggested. Would it be better to have separate documents or compile them all into one?

I'm currently compiling the stat-affecting spells.

Also, a minor suggestion: AirBlast (according to some translation software) should be translated to shineburst and it doesn't have a wind affinity, so that could be a bit misleading. Perhapse MoonForc or an equivalent would be better? It coud be fine as it is, though...

EDIT 2:

I compiled all of the spells from http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx , but there were some conflicts between the information. For example, Wildbill's post here said "テュシアー" translates to "death", but running the website through a translation says the effect of that spell is confusing the enemy. I wasn't quite sure which to use in that case.

Anyway, they've all been attached below. I'll make amends if someone decides to change the spell names or if there's an inconsistency, though.
I haven't forgotten you. My wife and I are on a little vacation, and she is directing huge chunks of my time!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:03 am 

taskforce wrote:

I always thought Kevin Durant was a scoring MACHINE.
Turns out he's a steel bug Pokemon (which I didn't know until recently). :D
(although I am disappointed that those BW1/2 allow me to fight basketball-playing Pokemon trainers, I do not get to fight a Durant with Durants :P )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:20 am 

Wildbill wrote:
I haven't forgotten you. My wife and I are on a little vacation, and she is directing huge chunks of my time!

Well, it makes sense to prioritise a break over work you don't get paid for and cnveying the story properly is more important then a list of spells too, so take your time. ;p