Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Aretha Translation and Production
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:30 am 
Site Admin

Thank you, fellows, for all your good work. Bongo`'s menus are shaping up nicely, too. Yep, we'll get the status ailments all sorted out. I'll also cross-compare these to their counterparts in Aretha-II. We'll standardize everything that matches exactly. My guess is that "Bound" may be the effect of the successful employment of a (spider) web-type item or its equivalent spell; whereas paralysis is probably caused by a projectile dipped in a substance or even an insect sting.

Once I get started steadily with the writing, I plan to fly through this story and game. As I may have mentioned, Aretha (I) has what I've divided into 105 chapters. That's going from one place to another and triggering an event, not just passing through a desert, town, forest, or such on the way to the next event.

Guess who wrote the A-(I) FAQ? Good ol' Ritchie, of course!

Bongo` wrote:
filler wrote:
Sad Ruri is actually カナシバリ or 金縛り. This is "bound". Apparently this can also be a feeling of paralysis, like sleep paralysis, but in this case, since there is already a paralysis, this is the meaning of being tied down or bound.

THANK YOU!!!!!! that damn "Sad Ruri" one was kicking my butt.

Bill: we have to make sure that the items and descriptions match these ailments in a way that the player knows which to use. I will update you will the ailments once I am done with the hacking.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:06 pm 

How is the progress in Aretha? Is it close to beta?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:20 am 
Site Admin

ebony841 wrote:
How is the progress in Aretha? Is it close to beta?
I wish it was. I intended for it to be released by now. I had to spend a good deal of time away from the hobby in 2012 and 13. When I got going again in mid 2013, I had some responsibilities with Chaos Seed and Lodoss first. Then, Super Shell Monster Story-I sort of fell into our laps. It was in "super" shape already with the translation and menus we inherited. I became intrigued with SSMS-I and rushed it toward beta as quickly as possible.

Actually, I started refining the Aretha-I story just two weeks ago. I left my usual haunts and embarked on a fishing trip, but the weather has been lousy, and the fishing has been slow. So, I dived into A-I. I'm happy to report that we have a V0.10 beta already. I am completing chapter 11 of 105 tonight. Bongo` is getting us additional script bytes, and together we're quickly refining the menus. Filler's translation is outstanding - as always. I've already adapted his tone to the game. Aretha-II is half done - believe it or not - and all of these stories stay fresh in my mind indefinitely. I'm already applying conventions from A-II into A-I and standardizing the features of both games as much as possible. I can see that A-II is a true sequel, and one of Filler's translated segments I just finished working on in A-I totally clarifies the whole series perfectly. We made a wise decision to finish and release A-I first.

Lady RPG'ers should love this Aretha RPG series. Our heroine is a paradox of gentleness, compassion, dogged determination, and toughness. She is a superwoman in her own quiet, unassuming way but doesn't realize it - same as a special girl I know personally! The A-I story begins when Ariel is 10-years-old. A boy in the nearby village attacks her under unusual circumstances. Ariel defeats him, and the boy can't believe that a "mere girl" has bested him! Instead of gloating, Ariel chastises the lad for worrying his mother half to death.

Ariel is being being raised by a loving but strict grandmother, deep in the forest. Some of the villagers regard her as rather "hickey", but everyone respects Ariel for being sweet and polite. When she grows up, a weird old man steals Ariel's deceased mother's heirloom - a special ring the old guy claims is the Aretha Ring. When Ariel's doting grandmother disappears mysteriously, shortly thereafter, Ariel is distraught but swears to search the world until she finds this elderly lady named Sarah. Evidence indicates that a logical place to start looking is the legendary Aretha Kingdom, an overseas country that has been invaded by barbarians. Regardless, Ariel starts out with her companions, hoping to catch a ship that will take them to this dangerous destination!

Aretha-II begins with Ariel having achieved a lofty position in the world, but she is hardly content. A new danger arises when some of her old companions from A-I find themselves in big trouble! Ariel abandons her new responsibilities and sets out to find and save them!

I will work on these two games simultaneously and try to make their stories seamless.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:00 am 
Site Admin

No more Icons I hope... :) Well, at least not in the item's name...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:06 pm 

I see you're not using the Pokemon font anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
I see you're not using the Pokemon font anymore.
Hi, KM...! Well, I hardly notice when Bongo` changes fonts. Did he? Wouldn't surprise me. He's always coming up with good stuff to get me more CPL capacity. Off topic: Do you know of someone who might tackle the Super Shell Monsters Story-II script? We're 'bout ready to saddle up on that one!