Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Princess Minerva Sanctuary
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:47 pm 

Hi PM fans,

My sanctuary for the game is nearly finally complete so here's the link to it, and a screenie of what's on there. I still need to finish off the chapter 6 monster list and the New Game+ Arts Shrine
page, which for some reason I STILL can't find, even after finishing the game and starting a new one.

https://snesrpggaming.weebly.com/princess-minerva.html

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

Post subject: Re: Princess Minerva Sanctuary
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

YAY! My man...!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:08 am 

Cute animated flowers. :) :lol: ;)

And I'm sure your walkthrough will be a lot more helpful than anything over at Gamefaqs. Your Xak 3 walkthrough was so much more detailed in terms of where to direct the player to than a couple much older walkthroughs that I checked.

Oh, I know the Princess Minerva OVA is linked on your new Sanctuary page. But I don't see it in the Anime Zone page.

And a total of 25 fan-translations have been released (Though one SFC patch is still a beta) for the year 2017 on the five/six 8-bit/16-bit Nintendo consoles! 4 SFC RPGs have already gotten their own fully translated patches (That's like last year, 2016, I believe?). Here's to hoping that this same rate (4 SFC RPGs on average) will be stuck to next year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:37 am 

ObiKKa wrote:

And I'm sure your walkthrough will be a lot more helpful than anything over at Gamefaqs. Your Xak 3 walkthrough was so much more detailed in terms of where to direct the player to than a couple much older walkthroughs that I checked.

Oh, I know the Princess Minerva OVA is linked on your new Sanctuary page. But I don't see it in the Anime Zone page.

And a total of 25 fan-translations have been released (Though one SFC patch is still a beta) for the year 2017 on the five/six 8-bit/16-bit Nintendo consoles! 4 SFC RPGs have already gotten their own fully translated patches (That's like last year, 2016, I believe?). Here's to hoping that this same rate (4 SFC RPGs on average) will be stuck to next year.

At that pace, just about 20 years and everything should be done for NES/SNES at least. :lol: Thankfully there are much fewer RPGs for non-Nintendo consoles (except for Playstation/s, Japanese computers are also an exception - there are tons of RPGs for those too). Still, there are consoles like PCE-CD, Saturn etc. which have a fair share of RPGs... talk about an endless source of work. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Great work, you did an excellent job.

As for 4 SNES releases next year, no promises, but I think it is safe to say that this mark is in danger of getting toppled :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:08 am 

MariusB wrote:
ObiKKa wrote:

At that pace, just about 20 years and everything should be done for NES/SNES at least. :lol: Thankfully there are much fewer RPGs for non-Nintendo consoles (except for Playstation/s, Japanese computers are also an exception - there are tons of RPGs for those too). Still, there are consoles like PCE-CD, Saturn etc. which have a fair share of RPGs... talk about an endless source of work. :)

*** 33 years to translate the SFC RPGs is wrong (See edit at bottom):
In the SNES field at Datacrystal alone I counted 132 RPGs (let's minus one, OK?) = 131 still to work on, sans any omitted examples that we haven't learnt about yet. So divide that by 4/year and that is ~33 years to go. But I think I remember reading an old quote by filler in an obscure place (maybe somewhere hidden within here?) saying that the SNES category (with about 800 maybe all decent games to translate) would still take 80 years to complete. So don't hold your or our hopes up.
*** 33 years to translate the SFC RPGs is wrong (See edit at bottom):

There is one quality translation/romhacking group that's working on the PC-98 games, lovely computer games with the dithered graphics, that they are. They've got about 30 or less of those examples that they're keen to do with the exception of the heavily hentai/erogi (as these types were called back then?) laden games (They can't as they're unable to work on them in total privacy). So if they do 2 projects a year then half/3-quarters of the PC-98 games list could get wiped out in 15 years' time. After that, who knows, hopefully they could migrate over to the MSX/2, or my strongest preferences which are either the FM Towns or Sharp X68000 stuff. They could adapt their useful and easy to use patcher tool (Re-engineered with the help of an old source code from somebody else).

There there are two or more other small groups that have been working on the PC Engine cart games and Megadrive stuff. But at least these are fortunately much smaller than the SNES or PS lists (Just about all of the PS console stuff are dreadful to think about, even! But we can understand why most romhackers just want to work on the 8-bit/16-bit stuff coz you'd have to re-skill up just to do those 32-bit or higher end games! And take even longer to translate/hack!)

-----

Oh, and SylarDean, I now remembered about one more other anime that you should post a link to in your 'Anime Zone' page that is associated with TWO un-translated SFC roleplaying games (AG has an inactive project on one of them) and one fan-translated Famicom RPG! It's "Madara", or fully titled "Mouryou Senki Madara". Also very little is known about the other PC-98 licensee (A VN-ish adventure).

https://www.gamefaqs.com/search?game=madara
https://www.giantbomb.com/madara-saga/3025-3747/

Great pleasure to say Happy New Year to all of you AGAIN!

* EDIT (02/01/2018): Miscounted the SFC RPG tally horribly. It's more like 88-ish. Many others I added up were 'Tactical RPG' (Strategy).
Though Spinner 8's own Excel list of this console counts the total SFC RPGs left to translate as 76.
So (88 - 1) / 4 = 21.75 years to do it all. So that's much better than 33 years! :lol:

Last edited by ObiKKa on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:39 am 

ObiKKa wrote:
In the SNES field at Datacrystal alone I counted 132 RPGs (let's minus one, OK?) = 131 still to work on, sans any omitted examples that we haven't learnt about yet. So divide that by 4/year and that is ~33 years to go. But I think I remember reading an old quote by filler in an obscure place (maybe somewhere hidden within here?) saying that the SNES category (with about 800 maybe all decent games to translate) would still take 80 years to complete. So don't hold your or our hopes up.

From what I checked it's actually much less, thankfully - "only" about 70-80 for SNES + about 40 for NES. :) Spinner's list seems to confirm that too. There are very few untranslated adventure games on SNES too, but quite a few on NES - most of them being murder mystery games, as far as I recall. Speaking of other genres, SNES has an insane number of sports titles to translate, that much I remember... so, it is still going to take a long time, but there are quite a few NES/SNES/GB oriented groups at the very least.

ObiKKa wrote:
There is one quality translation/romhacking group that's working on the PC-98 games, lovely computer games with the dithered graphics, that they are. They've got about 30 or less of those examples that they're keen to do with the exception of the heavily hentai/eroge (as these types were called back then?) laden games (They can't as they're unable to work on them in total privacy). So if they do 2 projects a year then half/3-quarters of the PC-98 games list could get wiped out in 15 years' time. After that, who knows, hopefully they could migrate over to the MSX/2, or my strongest preferences which are either the FM Towns or Sharp X68000 stuff. They could adapt their useful and easy to use patcher tool (Re-engineered with the help of an old source code from somebody else).

Fair point, but PC-98 has hundreds of RPGs, actually, many of them not even dumped at all; true, many of them have eroge elements (vide Dragon Knight IV for example), but they can be good games nonetheless. The problem with Japanese PCs is that they're not too well documented in the west, and it's not easy to find games in the wild. The guys from the PC-98 discord are doing their best to archive everything, but it sure isn't easy.

ObiKKa wrote:
There there are two or more other small groups that have been working on the PC Engine cart games and Megadrive stuff. But at least these are fortunately much smaller than the SNES or PS lists (Just about all of the PS console stuff are dreadful to think about, even! But we can understand why most romhackers just want to work on the 8-bit/16-bit stuff coz you'd have to re-skill up just to do those 32-bit or higher end games! And take even longer to translate/hack!)

As I mentioned earlier, there are actually more less as many MD games left to translate that there are just SNES RPGs, so that's a pretty good indication of the difference - you can easily see which console did better in Japan too, with those numbers... :!: Mega CD had one game I was curious about, a 3x3 Eyes RPG... it apparently is really good, by all accounts. PCE isn't too bad, true, but PCE-CD as you could see has quite a few games left too. As to PS - I'm not holding my breath at all. Maybe in the future more groups willing to tackle these mostly gigantic projects emerge. 8-)

Oh, and to stay on topic - great work on the sanctuary, SylarDean. :) It is really quite helpful all things considered. I recall some bits of the game being somewhat confusing to figure out, so I'm sure that's going to allay everyone's doubts. Also, Happy New Year to everyone. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:14 pm 

ObiKKa wrote:

Thanks Obikka.. I DO try and make my guides easy to read and understand as possible, hence why i write my guides like a 10 year old, keeping in mind that a child must be able to read and follow it.. LMAO!

I'm currently looking for ideas on how to set out sanctuary pages.. cos I have to be honest I don't like how they are set out atm, i'm sure i'll come up with something eventually.

As for the Anime section.. i'm thinking about removing it to be fair, as looking at the 'pages visited' log on weebly that is one of the ones that is not used hardly at all or looked at.. and just keep the anime's linked on the game's sanctuary page instead.

As for the 25 translations for Nintendo systems released for 2017.. the one is actually a 'hack' so 24 on the list of my website, though I have no doubt I have probably missed one or 2 I dunno, that sections mainly there just so people can see what's newly released.. it will all soon be gone now considering it is now 2018.. LOL!

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:24 am 

MariusB wrote:
ObiKKa wrote:

From what I checked it's actually much less, thankfully - "only" about 70-80 for SNES + about 40 for NES. :) Spinner's list seems to confirm that too. There are very few untranslated adventure games on SNES too, but quite a few on NES - most of them being murder mystery games, as far as I recall. Speaking of other genres, SNES has an insane number of sports titles to translate, that much I remember... so, it is still going to take a long time, but there are quite a few NES/SNES/GB oriented groups at the very least.

Yes, I've made a bad mistake. I realised this today and recounted by looking at each game at DC manually. And I edited my last post above accordingly.
filler also has this new thread on how many were translated last year and looking for better things this year.

My count of the SFC RPGs is 88 but it could be less. Spinner 8's list shows it to be 76 left.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 pm 

ObiKKa wrote:
Yes, I've made a bad mistake. I realised this today and recounted by looking at each game at DC manually. And I edited my last post above accordingly.
filler also has this new thread on how many were translated last year and looking for better things this year.

My count of the SFC RPGs is 88 but it could be less. Spinner 8's list shows it to be 76 left.

Your count is pretty accurate too! I think it's 76 because he counted Action RPGs and top-down traditional RPGs separately. Still a pretty big number, but not nearly as bad as it could have been. Plus, the progress so far has been steady. This year I guess probably 4 or 5 new RPGs will be finished. Dunno how AGTP is doing, as far as games such as Shin Megami Tensei: If... etc. go. Not sure about NES either, actually - I guess we'll see. It does seem like most of the entry-level projects have been dealt with, so I guess most of what's left can be difficult to hack.