Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2015 Minerva Progress
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

I can say this for certain, I am so glad I asked Bongo` to have a look at this game so many years ago. In the end, I think it might be my favorite game we've done to date. Though I do have a fondness for Ranma as well.

For anyone that loves character driven RPG's this should fit that bill nicely. If you Like idiotic Japanese teen lowbrow anime style humor--like is typically associated with ecchi seinen/shounen anime and such--then this is definitely for you.

If you want an event driven epic awe inspiring globe trotting mega adventure, this will not fit that bill. This is definitely first and foremost a character driven RPG. I would say this is somewhat similar in humor style to Hourai High School. If that gives you some idea. Can't wait for you guys to get a chance to experience it.

And if I don't make sense to you, let me explain what I mean by character vs event driven RPG's.

In an event driven RPG. Some seemingly faceless hero/heroes with little in the way of personality have to go on some grand adventure to save the world. The hero/heroes are pulled along by events happening typically quite unwillingly. In most cases they are only there to fulfill their role as hero and sometimes even are discarded when said RPG is over. You aren't supposed to care that much about their life or if they even have one after the credits roll. And they're pretty much not supposed to have one before the game begins. It is all about the events of the game, not the people. This is a type of RPG I rarely enjoy personally. Usually this is a save the world and that is all that matters kind of game.

In a character driven RPG. The characters tend to be the star of the show. The characters and their interactions with each other and the world are as important to the game as the events are. Not to mention their reaction to the events around them can be as important as the events themselves. You care what they were doing before the game began and its important to know what will become of them after the credits roll. Probably more important than beating whatever evil is afoot throughout the game in the end. These are the style of RPG's I love to play. With different and diverse characters that play off of each other and give you the snappy fun dialog. Sure some of them might be one dimensional but at least they have a personality. Pretty much every RPG has evil to defeat, but not every RPG has characters giving you an enjoyable banter about the journey to defeat that evil, or just random humorous conversations thrown in to make you smile. That is what I truly enjoy. And Minerva is just that.

Post subject: Re: 2015 Minerva Progress
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:03 pm 

Oh, so exciting! It's all happening! Thank you to Wildbill for explaining how the script translation processes are done, and to Taskforce for going even further to describing the differences between character-driven RPG's and event-driven RPG's. That's even though I wasn't aware that there were only a few or any of the former during the SNES age back then!
Yeah, I agree with that but in another arena - the movies. To me characters and narrative momentum are important in a movie. That's why I like Lucas' Star Wars films more than the newest episode. :shock: Shock horror! No arguments here about that hopefully! Anyway I've seen films lately that have a better narrative push factor/force than that one, though do have some imperfections of their own!