Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Princess Minerva Production and Story Writing Progress
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:54 am 
Site Admin

I have started this new thread topic to kick off production discussions. Here, people may communicate their thoughts, opinions, and suggestions all during the production process. Taskforce is the "court of last resort" for all recommendations.

First off, I faded early last night. I know I owe people communications regarding various projects, but I've been racing through this pleasant October weather, trying to bring three climate-controlled HVAC zones online before the first fall freeze. I must punch-out electrical and insulation chores so I may begin DWV and supply plumbing in one of the houses I'm building. Sherry gave me the word. She wants the pool in next spring. That means I must bust it with the house interior all winter, and I don't like installing alarm systems and central vacs with blue fingers! Plus, drywall and hardwood floors don't go in well under a 60-70 degree range. If I occasionally fade for a few days, it means I'm surging on something other than a story!

I'm sure people reading this have already seen Taskforce's kickoff article regarding production, so now's a good time for people to tell us their opinions regarding various aspects that will guide the dialogue box visuals in this game.

1. Fixed width font - This is straightforward: 22 CPL on a portrait screen, 28 CPL on a non-portrait screen, but FWF is a writer's nightmare. With only three lines per screen, narrative paragraphs are frequently reduced to "bullets" cobbled together with continuation screens to flesh out simple scene segments. In sum, when struggling with FWF on portrait pages, I feel like I'm writing a GG or NES game again such as Phantasy Star Gaiden or Destiny of an Emperor-II. The main reason I prefer writing with VWF is because it compresses ellipses (...) into the same space as "lli" in words such as "willing" that take 7 CPL in FWF but only 5 CPL in VWF. "Willing..." requires a whopping 10 CPL in FWF but only 6 1/2 CPL in VWF. With a period or exclamation point in its same line, that's 7 CPL total in VWF against 11 for FWF. Thus, on screen already restricted to only three lines, word efficiency recovers significant amounts of space lost due to that non-existent fourth line. But the FWF does give us greater latitude to customize the font, so if we opt to stay with this atavistic approach, to economize, should we:

(A) Single space between sentences?
(B) Convert all ellipses to trios (...) or stick with multiples of threes up to twelve in this "ellipses-heavy" direct adaptation of the Japanese style?

2. English mistakes in the Japanese version - The word "Height" is misspelled "Hight" in one of the character portraits. This would be a graphics hack, if possible. Bongo` was able to change a similar misspelling in Slayers. Should we try to "fix" this one, too?

Post subject: Re: Princess Minerva Production and Story Writing Progress
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:52 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
(A) Single space between sentences?
(B) Convert all ellipses to trios (...) or stick with multiples of threes up to twelve in this "ellipses-heavy" direct adaptation of the Japanese style?

2. English mistakes in the Japanese version - The word "Height" is misspelled "Hight" in one of the character portraits. This would be a graphics hack, if possible. Bongo` was able to change a similar misspelling in Slayers. Should we try to "fix" this one, too?

Personally, I don't think double spacing is necessary, but I'm aware this could be hard to de-condition since its a long time
pattern, so we could just leave it. I'm not sure what you mean by reducing elipses to trios, do you mean compressing "..." in
a single tile graphically, or avoiding things like ".............." and such?
I don't think for the sake of meaning a line full of ... is necessary to convey the needed meaning, not to mention
that as far as I see it, its agramatical to an extent.

As for the typo, if at all possible, we should rid our patches of "engrish" yes.