Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Request for a Spot Translation and Graphics Conversion
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:48 am 
Site Admin

This is a request for a spot translation of the Japanese on the Princess Minerva title screen and a conversion of same to an all-English version.

Post subject: Re: Request for a Spot Translation and Graphics Conversion
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:17 am 

If you mean the blue outlined katakana under the english title, Bill, it just says "Princess Minerva" in japanese
from what I can tell, so it would be sorta redundant to translate it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

I took a quick look at the names this morning but I'd like to take another look when I get home (or maybe on lunch) to try to get the pronunciation right. What frustrates me about Japanese names is that though there are multiple pronunciations for names you rarely find a pronunciation alongside a written name. Maybe there is always a common pronunciation and only odd ones are bothered to be clarified? Whatever it is, it becomes frustrating when trying to get the "right" translation of a name. Sometimes I just go with the one that seems most common from a Google search. (Edit: I have lunch meeting so I'll look at it when I get home)

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
I took a quick look at the names this morning but I'd like to take another look when I get home (or maybe on lunch) to try to get the pronunciation right. What frustrates me about Japanese names is that though there are multiple pronunciations for names you rarely find a pronunciation alongside a written name. Maybe there is always a common pronunciation and only odd ones are bothered to be clarified? Whatever it is, it becomes frustrating when trying to get the "right" translation of a name. Sometimes I just go with the one that seems most common from a Google search. (Edit: I have lunch meeting so I'll look at it when I get home)
RS believes it's Katakana for "Princess Minerva". If he's right, we just need someone to blot it out and appear seamless in the game. If it's the name of an episode, however, we probably want to convert it to English using the same palette. Then, there's that bit of Kanji down by the copyright symbol, bottom left, probably a developer or such. We will want to convert that one for sure. I'm tied up with things right now, too, or I would have broken out my Kana chart and flailed away. Thanks, Matt and RS!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:10 pm 

The katakana under "Princess Minerva" just says "Princess Minerva", so RS is correct.

The kanji at the bottom of the screen is 舞阪洸・石田走 or Maisaka Kou/Ishida Ran. Maisaka did the original story and Ishida did the character designs. I verified the official spellings of both names.

Also, I translated the names with family name first, given name second as that's the way I did them in the game's end credits.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Eien Ni Hen wrote:
The katakana under "Princess Minerva" just says "Princess Minerva", so RS is correct.

The kanji at the bottom of the screen is 舞阪洸・石田走 or Maisaka Kou/Ishida Ran. Maisaka did the original story and Ishida did the character designs. I verified the official spellings of both names.

Also, I translated the names with family name first, given name second as that's the way I did them in the game's end credits.
Super, Eien, Thanks! BTW, unofficially, we're cranking up with P. M. TF had a major adventure with the dentist yesterday, or I imagine this news would already be on the home page.

Okay, there's our probable course of action, pending TF's input. We blot out the Katakana version of "Princess Minerva" and add the Roomaji at the bottom left, per Eien's translation - similar to how we handled Mystic Ark's fighters in the intro.

PVFlash, are you out there? You did such a fine job with the Burning Heroes title page conversion, could we possibly prevail upon you again?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:07 am 
Site Admin

Here's a start if it's helpful. I couldn't find a font that matches.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:19 am 

Hey that looks pretty awesome ^.^
Its as if that katakana wasn't even there,
a great start

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:08 am 
Site Admin

Silly me, of course I don't have to match the font exactly, just replace all the text! I swear I can't even think straight when I get home from work. :P Anyway, hope I'm not stealing anyone's thunder. This was just a nice thing for me to unwind with this evening. Feedback/alternate takes welcome.

Thanks for getting those names Eien. I wasn't sure about "Ran". Thanks for the praise RS!

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:42 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:

Silly me, of course I don't have to match the font exactly, just replace all the text! I swear I can't even think straight when I get home from work. :P Anyway, hope I'm not stealing anyone's thunder. This was just a nice thing for me to unwind with this evening. Feedback/alternate takes welcome.

Thanks for getting those names Eien. I wasn't sure about "Ran". Thanks for the praise RS!
And thank all of y'all for everything! Now, let's shoot this puppy over to Mr. Bongo` and see how it inserts. TF and I are striving to build a demo of PM for our project page and YouTube account, and these touches will be impressive.