Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mato's "Funky Fantasy"
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:40 am 
Site Admin

Have you guys seen this? http://legendsoflocalization.com/funky-fantasy-iv/

He decided to hack FFIV with a translation from Google Translate to prove a point, and to see how well it did. I've been watching the videos on YouTube and they're hysterical. :lol:

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post subject: Re: Mato's "Funky Fantasy"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:24 am 

Yes, but Mato's definitely going to have to put a warning that Google translations are mostly nonsense (as expected) but beware if you're easily offended by dirty words.

the most shocking moment is when Rosa is, I believe the proper translation, is "abducted" in Fabul. But Google decided to translate the word assuming pretty much the most inappropriate dirty thing possible to be done to one in that situation, has been done (I have looked at Mato's comparison between FF4 translations, and found a screencap of what is certainly the source Japanese line, and "abducted" was the word he chose). That's certainly a tough point for him I know. He doesn't agree with it, and is about the only sort of thing him and his wife Poe weren't going to read out loud. But changing one thing would make not 100% what Google Translate said, which was the goal.
(though I found the naughty line about chickens a few lines later to have since been changed in Google's dictionary, as I'm fairly sure I found the correct source Japanese line browsing Mato's FF4 comparison page.)

And yes, cuss words are pretty frequent. I understand words like "kuso" and "yatsu" can be translated with a variety of words of various politeness levels depending on context. Google, being unable to understand context, of course goes for the worst.