Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Would you pay for free game translations of a system?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:40 am 

Well, i'll STILL say what I have said before in other posts.. Gideon has done an AMAZING job over the years for all the games he has translated BUT I still think he takes on WAY TOO MANY projects, it all gets clogged/backed up and then they all start to suffer cos they are each being worked on little by little, over small amounts of time. I DID suggest, I think, once in another post on these forums that he should think about passing a few of them over, or shelving a few until he has some closer to the finished mark ready for beta testing and then release.

I think 31 translation projects on the go is a little extreme but then I don't really know what goes on behind the scenes over at AeonGenesis.. I mean, if he has other team members he's working with and waiting on for finished stuff OR even if he does EVERYTHING himself, all I know really is what I have previously said. I have said before, rom hacking/translating blah blah blah is a hobby for most of these guys here AND on other sites so real life comes first and all that jazz, not to mention unexpected issues arising through out the year for whatever reasons, so with that.. Iv'e just come to expect ANY translations to be released whenever they are ready and just be patient.. no matter how long they take.

I wish that I knew how to do things that could help the community but alas I don't so I can't help out either to try and get things sped up a little bit more. I know there's guides out there now that I could get reading and self teach stuff to get me started but now i'm back in University that's my main priority now, learning for the course i'm studying and getting my grades for that. I put my life on hold for 10 odd years due to parents being ill, so I had to care for them, so I feel really weird being in University at my age but hey-ho.. i'm lucky enough to look MEGA young for my actual age. All my course students think I look 25/26.. lmao! they all nearly died when I told them I was in fact *cough* 38, i so happen to be the oldest on the course. You can imagine how embarrassed I felt in front of a class of 23 students of all ages when a 19 year old girl replied to my age with.. "OMG! I think your HOT for 38" the course tutor nearly choked on his coffee, and at that point I wished the floor opened up and swallowed me whole. LOL!

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:18 pm 

Oh, I'm sorry that you've had to deal with the unexpected hard times in your life back then. I did come back to university and graduated a few years after being disappointed with my initial course choice when I went to uni the first time around. So it is not unexpected of us here to go and study again if our needs or wants arise. And, LMAO, for sure why not get all the adulation then? Hehe.

And, mates, in that streamed video that I saw Gideon actually had by then fixed just 600 reported bugs and typos for 'Shin Megami Tensei: if' as shown in a private, password-locked bug-report forum with the other team members. And he's got around 60 left to fix up. SO it's ONLY a matter of waiting time until he's able to release it to the other members for beta-testing AND then the final release! He should be able to progress on that game inch by inch and just the close line will come by quicker.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:28 pm 

ObiKKa wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry that you've had to deal with the unexpected hard times in your life back then. I did come back to university and graduated a few years after being disappointed with my initial course choice when I went to uni the first time around. So it is not unexpected of us here to go and study again if our needs or wants arise. And, LMAO, for sure why not get all the adulation then? Hehe.

And, mates, in that streamed video that I saw Gideon actually had by then fixed just 600 reported bugs and typos for 'Shin Megami Tensei: if' as shown in a private, password-locked bug-report forum with the other team members. And he's got around 60 left to fix up. SO it's ONLY a matter of waiting time until he's able to release it to the other members for beta-testing AND then the final release! He should be able to progress on that game inch by inch and just the close line will come by quicker.

Hopefully, there's quite a few game AG are working on id like to get to grips with, patience is the key, lol.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Just to be honest, and I know I may be in the minority with this opinion, but I don't see a problem with teams putting up a donation button. The funds could be used to cover server costs, and if for some reason the amount of funds gets insanely high, people could consider making this their full-time employment. Hell, I'd love to do this for a living if I could, and there have been a few opportunities for me to work in the industry, but I've passed on them all. If I could make a living off of donations, I'd quit my job and put all my energy into this... And yeah, pigs may fly one day... :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:50 pm 

Draken wrote:
Just to be honest, and I know I may be in the minority with this opinion, but I don't see a problem with teams putting up a donation button. The funds could be used to cover server costs, and if for some reason the amount of funds gets insanely high, people could consider making this their full-time employment. Hell, I'd love to do this for a living if I could, and there have been a few opportunities for me to work in the industry, but I've passed on them all. If I could make a living off of donations, I'd quit my job and put all my energy into this... And yeah, pigs may fly one day... :)

In D-D's sense though you guys always produce top notch translations AND update bugfix patches often AND get them out quick to the public. (This next part is not pointing the finger at any specific group inparticular...) other groups asking for donations and STILL taking a zillion years to get even the base game itself out, then also taking forever to work on bugfixes/patches for their already currently released patches for games I think is what turns ME off more, cos the people donating are expecting results quicker and at the best of quality.

I totally agree though costs COULD also be spent out other ways, as you said, server costs.. etc.. BUT then you don't need a server to translate a game and make a patch, you'd NEED internet connection though LOL! so maybe it could go towards paying the TV/LANDLINE/NET bill monthly.. LMAO!

Spoiler! :