Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rainbow Silkroad Gets a New Translation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:31 pm 

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2594/

Back in the day Gaijin Translations, which was part of CTC, translated this game. For its time, it was a good translation, but everything pretty much appeared to be abbreviated. Gotta give the pioneers credit though. With very little technical information and a lack of a good debugging emulator, they did a pretty good job. But in the end, we decided to do our own translation.

aishsha and I had finished another project and were shopping around for another. While looking at other games by the same dev, we found Silkroad. After a ton of work we removed virtually all limitations that prevented the old translation from shining. ROM expansion, double item hack, 8 character player name and a ton of interface hacks.

Post subject: Re: Rainbow Silkroad Gets a New Translation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:35 am 
Site Admin

Congrats on the project. You all love that NES, don't you!? :) C'mon over to
the Snes world and help us out. :) A ton of games remain to be translated and
I'm sure you all are very capable! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:52 am 

Well, a good emulator with a debugger always makes me more receptive to working on a new system. That was a problem in the past, but not anymore with recent developments in SNES emulation.

But hot damn, I have too many projects for the NES and GB. I fear if I start working on new systems, I'll never finish my old ones. That and there are still projects on the NES and GB that I would still like to hack and translate. We'll see though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:39 pm 

Bongo` wrote:

I just did an online backup of all my translations and realized "holy ..., I got a lot of unfinished stuff." including multiple SNES games. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:54 pm 

Garrett wrote:
Well, a good emulator with a debugger always makes me more receptive to working on a new system. That was a problem in the past, but not anymore with recent developments in SNES emulation.

But hot damn, I have too many projects for the NES and GB. I fear if I start working on new systems, I'll never finish my old ones. That and there are still projects on the NES and GB that I would still like to hack and translate. We'll see though.

IMO it is only natural that the trickle of releases slows down over time, as there are fewer and fewer titles left. Of course, there are still lots of baseball games on the list (30-40 or so...?), but I guess there are more interesting projects which could be tackled. :lol: Honestly, there aren't that many interesting Famicom games left untranslated... maybe some quirky RPGs like Otaku no Seiza or Ganbare Goemon Gaidens. Still, everyone can choose to translate whatever he or she wants. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Bongo` wrote:

I just did an online backup of all my translations and realized "holy ..., I got a lot of unfinished stuff." including multiple SNES games. :shock:

And what are you waiting for!? :) Which Snes games do you have? I have two UNANNOUNCED
games that are far along ( at least one is ) that I hope is not being done by anyone else. :)
Traverse Starlight & Prairie is already off my list. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

MariusB wrote:
Garrett wrote:

IMO it is only natural that the trickle of releases slows down over time, as there are fewer and fewer titles left. Of course, there are still lots of baseball games on the list (30-40 or so...?), but I guess there are more interesting projects which could be tackled. :lol: Honestly, there aren't that many interesting Famicom games left untranslated... maybe some quirky RPGs like Otaku no Seiza or Ganbare Goemon Gaidens. Still, everyone can choose to translate whatever he or she wants. :)

I worked on Otaku no Seiza ages ago. strange little game...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:43 pm 

Bongo` wrote:
KingMike wrote:
Bongo` wrote:

And what are you waiting for!? :) Which Snes games do you have? I have two UNANNOUNCED
games that are far along ( at least one is ) that I hope is not being done by anyone else. :)

That's one of those gems I translated like AGES ago before LT vanished, so it's still waiting for its time in terms of hacking. The script was immense. And yeah, we've been talking about SNES, no, I haven't dropped the thing you've sent me and I still have some plans for PCE :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:11 am 
Site Admin

aishsha wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
KingMike wrote:
Bongo` wrote:

That's one of those gems I translated like AGES ago before LT vanished, so it's still waiting for its time in terms of hacking. The script was immense. And yeah, we've been talking about SNES, no, I haven't dropped the thing you've sent me and I still have some plans for PCE :)

Heheh. When I saw LT, I thought of LordTech. No sure what happened to that guy.
He told me that he had a twin brother...Wasn't sure if he was pulling my leg or not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:43 am 

Bongo` wrote:
aishsha wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
KingMike wrote:
Bongo` wrote:

Heheh. When I saw LT, I thought of LordTech. No sure what happened to that guy.
He told me that he had a twin brother...Wasn't sure if he was pulling my leg or not.

Lost Templair :) He's out there but too busy I guess, so give me a call if you decide to get back to Traverse - I have the text done :) BTW, there's a prequel to Traverse with about the same system. Soul & Sword is the title.