Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Esperknight and Filler's Translations
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:26 am 

I agree with Garett it's just about the same with translating console games as you'll hit any number of compression/encryption schemes.

The tools are pretty nice on the PC as you have both IDA Pro (free edition available) and Ollydbg (my preferred tool). The only gotcha you'll find though is when trying to debug a fullscreen game as that can cause any number of issues due to trying to alt tab out of a frozen process which you can't do (and if I'm wrong please tell me :) ) Most times you can get away with a directx windower but there's all kinds of flavors due to the various directx versions.

Couldn't answer about jrpgs as I mainly focus on visual novel games but feel free to ask me anything about pc hacking.

Also Garrett, I think that title was stolen by 5bp for Steins;Gate 8bit as that game has no less then at least 20 different ways to calculate a XOR key for decryption based on the checksum produced when zipping up the chunks (arguably it's 0x7F possibilities but luckily when using the last byte of a checksum it's not that unique). Ugh (Pretty fun figuring it out actually :) ) At least for Falcom it was just a modified LZSS scheme that I've noticed so far.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Filler: is it hard to hack pc games. What is required? Are there any Jrpgs ( turn Based ) left?

For me, yes it's hard. ;) Actually I did hack a PC game one time and it was easy because the files were all uncompressed and easy to work with. The images we all bmp with just a different extension and the text was SJIS. My only trouble was, as usual, not knowing how to dump and reinsert the script aside from by hand. It was tedious doing all the dumping and insertion that way so I gave up at some point. There are exceptions like Steins;Gate 8-bit, but sometimes they are much easier than games for console systems.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:17 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
taskforce wrote:
If you don't mind one more set of eyes, I'm kind of in a holding pattern on Minerva right now, and have nothing else to do.

hey, what are you talking about? Why is it on hold? :)

Filler: is it hard to hack pc games. What is required? Are there any Jrpgs ( turn Based ) left?

The game isn't stuck, I personally am hehe. Waiting on Wildbill with that intro so I know where to go from there. I don't want to work on things until he has that done at this point. Don't want to break things and work on files that'll just get replaced.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
taskforce wrote:
If you don't mind one more set of eyes, I'm kind of in a holding pattern on Minerva right now, and have nothing else to do.

hey, what are you talking about? Why is it on hold? :)

The game isn't stuck, I personally am hehe. Waiting on Wildbill with that intro so I know where to go from there. I don't want to work on things until he has that done at this point. Don't want to break things and work on files that'll just get replaced.
A number of activities around these parts have sort of seized custody of my end-of-year. If Drakee will give me a little crack of time just after January 1 before Chaos Seed comes raining down, I plan to hit PM with all guns a-blazin', as RS puts it. I want to knock out the first town, too, so you can come back in and set the tone you want. Then, I want to smooth it up, get a few menus working, and punch out one or two demo videos. One would be the complete intro and a tiny bit of town. The second would be edited so a bit more of town could be showcased and maybe even a battle if we can get enough of the battle menu going. If you can fix the font for those level numbers, that would contribute to a cleaner demo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:56 am 
Site Admin

FYI: I posted a little demo movie of the intro to WtPC2. It's not exactly nsfw but it does involve an accidental groping. :) http://youtu.be/yjyggsd_Mqc The script is not finished, has spelling/typo and formatting issues, but this is the beginning of the 2nd draft and it's starting to sound better. Currently the 4th line gets cut off but we're hoping we can squeeze 4 lines in there later.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:44 am 
Site Admin

Just an FYI, I finally "officially" 301 redirected a few of my project pages to point to pages on the "new" site for projects Esperknight and I are working on together. Something I've been meaning to do forever but finally took the time to do. The site is here if you want to check it out: http://esperknight.translationsoftwaretool.com/

The site is a bit of a compromise between what I wanted to make, and what was convenient. It at least has some modern touches like comments and tagging. If anyone checks my projects page, it will still be updated with info on my projects, but stuff Esperknight and I are working on together will redirect to this site. There also may be information on this site about projects Esperknight is working on with others.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:53 am 
Site Admin

I like the layout you've got going on. The only bad thing about the site is that it doesn't really resize to my browser (Safari) correctly. I've got massive white margins that really shouldn't be there, or should be much, much smaller.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:38 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
I like the layout you've got going on. The only bad thing about the site is that it doesn't really resize to my browser (Safari) correctly. I've got massive white margins that really shouldn't be there, or should be much, much smaller.

Thanks man. Yeah, it's a fixed layout, not fluid so you'll get that especially on widescreen. I used an older site of mine as the basis. A modern responsive design would be nice. Maybe sometime. :)

My projects
RHDN Community DB