Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bakumatsu Korinden Oni 2 + Traverse Starlight & Prarie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:03 pm 

Does anyone of you have further information concerning the progress of these two games?

Yonin No Translators has worked at both of them but the related project pages havn't been updated for 4-5 years now. I guess you know the people within the US-translation-scene very well, so maybe there is someone knowing the current status of both projects!

I ask because I saw some sreenshots of both games years ago and in my eyes they look rather impressing. I've always wanted to play them in English, so every peace of inforamtion you can share is welcome ;) .

Greetings,
Pete

Post subject: Re: Bakumatsu Korinden Oni 2 + Traverse Starlight & Prarie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Pete wrote:
Does anyone of you have further information concerning the progress of these two games?

Yonin No Translators has worked at both of them but the related project pages havn't been updated for 4-5 years now. I guess you know the people within the US-translation-scene very well, so maybe there is someone knowing the current status of both projects!

I ask because I saw some sreenshots of both games years ago and in my eyes they look rather impressing. I've always wanted to play them in English, so every peace of inforamtion you can share is welcome ;) .

Greetings,
Pete
Garrett may know something. A lot of people have limited time to work on projects, and the added work of maintaining a web site detracts from that. Our group is large enough and loves doing this so much that we try to find the time to communicate.

Kammedo, I believe, was still working on Oni last I heard. We dropped the project from our list a few years ago because we hadn't really done very much with it, and YnT had. Plus, our translator member at the time, Akujin, who started our Oni efforts, didn't return along with the rest of us after our long hiatus during the mid 2000s.

I daresay we would at least entertain the idea of picking up Oni again a number of possible ways - such as completing a partial patch or entering into a joint project arrangement - but I doubt we would pick Oni up again from scratch, especially in the absence of a fully translated script.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm 

Kammedo has been MIA for several months now and I think it would be safe to assume those projects dead. With Oni, Kammedo had someone interested in translating it, but he never got the kanji ID'd and so the scripts never got completely dumped. Traverse has someone interested in translating, but I believe the dump was a little messy and not worth translating. The thing that makes Traverse special is that it uses the same game engine as Arabian Nights and I believe most of the code hacks can be carried over.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
Kammedo has been MIA for several months now and I think it would be safe to assume those projects dead. With Oni, Kammedo had someone interested in translating it, but he never got the kanji ID'd and so the scripts never got completely dumped. Traverse has someone interested in translating, but I believe the dump was a little messy and not worth translating. The thing that makes Traverse special is that it uses the same game engine as Arabian Nights and I believe most of the code hacks can be carried over.
I can work on that Kanji list for the Oni table file if anything stirs on this game again. I normally get about a 98% hit rate on those huge 16X16 Kanji pulls, then some kind soul usually comes along who doesn't mind ID'ing the half dozen or so I missed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:16 pm 

Garrett wrote:
I think it would be safe to assume those projects dead.

hm, I feard that would be the case. Sad news... Maybe there will be some enthusiastic people finishing the work one day - as far as I can estimate both games would deserve a translation. As I do some German ROM-hacking, I know how much work and persistance is required to finish it. So, lets hope for the future - at the end of the day you guys at DD have to do the job ;) !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:57 am 

It probably wouldn't be much trouble for Bongo' to just dump the script for Oni. He probably has an old folder lying around for it. Also I believe the translator Kammedo disappeared a few years ago and hasn't reappeared. So Oni is a very very slim possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:20 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
It probably wouldn't be much trouble for Bongo' to just dump the script for Oni. He probably has an old folder lying around for it. Also I believe the translator Kammedo disappeared a few years ago and hasn't reappeared. So Oni is a very very slim possibility.
If it's not to hard to dump, I could do a Kanji table. We could put it out there and see if anyone finds a translator. Heh, we could try to notify Akujin again! But we probably need to clear a few out of our queue before taking on another project from scratch. Does Kammedo's departure mean Arabian Nights is stalled again? Anything new there that you've heard?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:59 am 

Not really. Arabian Nights is still being worked on by someone I recruited, but since his work doesn't allow him much time for the hobby it'll take a while before the game has been completely hacked and fixed up. He's basically figured out the problems of the game not working on hardware. There is also the issue of the Kammedo's inserter not respecting boundaries which apparently can issues with the game. I've been told that boundaries could be programmed into the game or we could setup a new insertion system.

Assuming work on Arabian Nights is finished, I planned on asking the person doing the hacking if he would be willing to look into the possibility of carrying over the code hacks for AN to Traverse. Since I was told that they both use the same engines, the code might be the same or pretty close to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:19 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
Not really. Arabian Nights is still being worked on by someone I recruited, but since his work doesn't allow him much time for the hobby it'll take a while before the game has been completely hacked and fixed up. He's basically figured out the problems of the game not working on hardware. There is also the issue of the Kammedo's inserter not respecting boundaries which apparently can issues with the game. I've been told that boundaries could be programmed into the game or we could setup a new insertion system.

Assuming work on Arabian Nights is finished, I planned on asking the person doing the hacking if he would be willing to look into the possibility of carrying over the code hacks for AN to Traverse. Since I was told that they both use the same engines, the code might be the same or pretty close to it.
This all sounds very interesting and promising. Best of luck to you and the person. From what I've learned watching Bongo` work and solve coding issues, my guess would be that your hacker might find it less troublesome in the long run to write a new insertion system from the ground up. The problem with that is oftentimes a new dump may be necessary if the old files aren't formatted to work in the new inserter. With a big game such as Arabian Nights, it would be a lot of work to cut and paste everything over. This is what Draken did with our old Mystic Ark files from the early 2000s. Took him months!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, and we're talking several hours of work PER DAY! You pretty much have to test as you go.