Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Welcome to Pia Carrot 2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
While I'm thinking of it I may as well update about progress over the past 7 months. It's a little hard to pin down all that's been going on. I'm disappointed to say that WtPC2 script is not quite complete but it's at about 80% rough draft. I'm working on it currently and the script translation should be done in the next month or so. The rough draft of Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R (GB) is finished and just needs final editing. I helped out SSTranslations with War of the Dead (PCE). Also translated a bit of an X68000 game called Joker. Ah! My Goddess is at about 10% complete but that's been set aside for a moment to finish up WtPC2 and some other stuff. Started helping out on the translation of Revolutionary Girl Utena on the Saturn, but a lot of my time has been taken up on Team Innocent for the PC-FX. We are speculating that Team Innocent script is at least 50% translated, maybe more.

I'm getting a bit antsy to have a couple releases out this year. I've managed to have a pretty good streak going on for a couple of years now. I think BSSMR and WtPC2 are pretty good bets but don't quote me on that. I'm excited about the update on Aretha II as well. Can't wait to see more as writing/inserting progresses!
I will be sending you an Aretha-II version 0.15 or so soon, maybe a week. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to play to Gura Town. What I would like you to do is report back as to whether the early story seems more exciting once you see it refined somewhat and inserted into the whole package. In fact, I will be sending the entire core group the early patch - for evaluation.

For Taskforce, I am waiting to see if he will really like A-II and get involved in the character and story development. TF enjoyed the last Yanoman game we released.

For Red Soul, he will have some early beta testing work.

For Bongo`, he can see some of his chick game coming together in action and determine where menu fixes and such may be needed.

Draken's patch will have no commas in it, hee-hee...! Seriously, Drakee's "murder-board" role usually kicks in during the final polishing stages.

I guess Grant didn't do the other half of WtPC2 after all, but 80% is decent progress. Lots of luck finishing that one and all the others!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:13 pm 

I played through your translation of the first Pia Carrot, it was suprising fun, and had a really cheerful atmosphere. I usually only ever play RPG's, so that game was a nice change from things.

It's great to see progress on this and on your other projects!

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
I will be sending you an Aretha-II version 0.15 or so soon, maybe a week. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to play to Gura Town. What I would like you to do is report back as to whether the early story seems more exciting once you see it refined somewhat and inserted into the whole package. In fact, I will be sending the entire core group the early patch - for evaluation.

Sounds excellent. I'll definitely play it and let you know what I think. I may need to read through the original script a bit to really compare though. I think the early stuff was all the other translator so I wouldn't be as familiar with it.

Wildbill wrote:
I guess Grant didn't do the other half of WtPC2 after all, but 80% is decent progress. Lots of luck finishing that one and all the others!

Nah. I tried to line someone else up to help but I haven't heard from them recently. I guess the responsibility of translating Welcome to Pia Carrot games rests with me alone. That's not so bad by me. :) Thanks for the encouragement!

Zetshiro wrote:
I played through your translation of the first Pia Carrot, it was suprising fun, and had a really cheerful atmosphere. I usually only ever play RPG's, so that game was a nice change from things.
It's great to see progress on this and on your other projects!

I'm starting to get used to hearing this. :) It's funny, I've gotten the same feedback from around 3-4 people recently. I'm really glad that you took a chance on it and were pleasantly surprised. It seems to be tempting gamers who normally play other genres exclusively. I don't know if it has to do with the forums I tend to hang around on, or it's something else that is catching people's fancy. At any rate, it was my introduction to this kind of love story/simulation style game so I'm happy to hear that others are also being introduced to this type of game via WtPC. Thanks for the comments!

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Sounds excellent. I'll definitely play it and let you know what I think. I may need to read through the original script a bit to really compare though. I think the early stuff was all the other translator so I wouldn't be as familiar with it.
The only tricky aspect with dual contributors thus far is names, but you already apprised me of that. I had a bit of fun with this one: ビフローグの森 (Bifurogu Forest). One of you had "Forest of Befrogue" (misc - areanames.txt), The other - "Biff Louge Forest" (script blocks). Both options replicated possible borrow words, but since the woods are full of critters such as rabbits, foxes, birds, and even one lone penguin, I made it "Bee-frog Forest". (Let me tell ya 'bout the frogs and the bees, hee-hee...!)

Also, Gid mentioned name coordination a while back, regarding an Aretha game he's doing. I couldn't find a match at the time, but I'm sure we can fine tune this down the line with both his project and Aretha-I.

Finally, I have two fairly large untranslated files (33 kb and 39 kb) that Bongo` forgot about last year. I started to work on them back then but remember struggling a bit. They're contained within the script folder inside a sub folder called "RomText1". I'm not quite sure what they are (appear menu-related), but I haven't seen them come up in the game yet during my early work. Here's a short excerpt from each:

Text_0020DAC7.txt

;######################;
; Declared Text String ;
;######################;
_String_0020DACB:
ただのヘビだ。・・・でかいけど。[NEWL]
有効:火[NEWL]
無効:水[NEWL]
能力:[NEWL]
特徴:
.TEXT

.ENDT

;######################;
; Declared Text String ;
;######################;
_String_0020DB04:
でっけぇマムシ。[NEWL]
有効:水[NEWL]
無効:火[NEWL]
能力:牙に毒をもつ[NEWL]
特徴:AGL、FS、FE[NEWL]

.TEXT

.ENDT

Text_00209EDF.txt

;######################;
; Declared Text String ;
;######################;
_String_00209EE2:
威力は弱いが毒がぬってある。
.TEXT

.ENDT

;######################;
; Declared Text String ;
;######################;
_String_00209F02:
ナイフよりはまし。毒付き。
.TEXT

.ENDT

;######################;
; Declared Text String ;
;######################;
_String_00209F1D:
風に弱い敵を1発で倒す。
.TEXT

.ENDT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:21 am 
Site Admin

Those are descriptions of enemies. Stuff like "Just a regular snake...but really big.", and then some elements they are weak or strong against. Depending on who it's related to it's, "Effective: Fire. Ineffective: Water." If you want to send that file my way I can see about getting it un-Japanesed.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:25 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Those are descriptions of enemies. Stuff like "Just a regular snake...but really big.", and then some elements they are weak or strong against. Depending on who it's related to it's, "Effective: Fire. Ineffective: Water." If you want to send that file my way I can see about getting it un-Japanesed.
Super! I think I know why I haven't see it yet.

Spoiler! :
In Gura Town, a short-tempered NPC called Pasco is frantically looking for a buried treasure. The script files suggest this may be a "monster book" of some kind. If so, I'll bet it's similar to the FF books and others - and these are the narrative description strings used to build its pages. I haven't found the book yet, but a girl in a house in Gura says the treasure may be buried somewhere in Gura Town. Also, strings with Pasco dialogue in them allude to such a book.

I'm becoming more and more impressed with Aretha-II. A feature of collecting color-coded monster souls after battle may be combined in an old man's house to produce armor for all of the fighting characters. Also, I straightened out the "Consult" menu today - without Bongo`'s help! These were all jumbled together on the top line(s) previously. For some old reason, the Consult menu was included in the Script files. I really like the Consult feature. It's like a hint-on-demand system (X-button or menu activated), except you may choose a companion to offer further remarks and clarification after Ariel makes her comment that summarizes the next task in the quest. This tool is enabling me to enhance character development. Young Magician Doole, for example, is quite profane. Todd, on the other hand, is somewhat laid back. He seems to be along for the ride, mainly, enjoying the adventure and fighting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:08 am 
Site Admin

FYI: Just finished up the "last" block of WtPC2! A lot of spot translation to do but now I can start on the reinsertion and editing anyway. There is some undumped text but hopefully there won't be too much. I'm planning to try to identify it as I play through for editing. I may have to get a video up sometime soon. :)

I haven't forgotten about the monster book text for Aretha II either. I'll get back to that soon.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:42 am 

Hey that's great news, good job!
I'll keep my eyes peeled for that video ^.^