Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
Post subject: Re: Garrett's translation projects
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:16 pm 

Garrett wrote:
Captain Silver's pretty bad. Not really worth playing even though I did an excellent job hacking it.

Yeah, it's nice piece of a crap, but as Wildbill says even those have their fans and I can assure you that your effort don't go waste.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:22 am 

Yeah, I also once made some effort into translating crap games.
I dumped the script to Takeshi's Challenge, largely because it's such an infamous crap game.
But I also tried hacking Kagerou Densetsu for Famicom.
An RPG with Zelda II-like fight scenes, with multiple party members.
But also with such features as: Limited healing (I think). Music I can't remember. Demon Sword-level in-controllability (you seen when AVGN played Demon Sword? "What happens you try to [ attack the enemy with your sword ] ?" "YOU DIE!"). Terrible graphics (a game made in 1990 with graphics that would've been just average in 1986. If you play NES, you know that's a pretty big leap in quality.)
The only positive thing is that a site I read suggests a bunch of debug cheats were left in the game.
I got as far as hacking the vertical text routine into horizontal, but it still had some bugs as I recall.
Maybe I'll work on that when I'm more in a mood to torment people with crappy-game patches. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:50 pm 

http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/Phoenix/Phoenix.html

One noteworthy thing about this project was that Bongo' helped me out with some custom tools to deal with the RLE compression. Also I'm going on vacation in a couple of days and I wanted to have something released. So I spent the last couple of days finishing it up. It just needs to be tested.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/Phoenix/Phoenix.html

One noteworthy thing about this project was that Bongo' helped me out with some custom tools to deal with the RLE compression. Also I'm going on vacation in a couple of days and I wanted to have something released. So I spent the last couple of days finishing it up. It just needs to be tested.
Looks nice and clean, Garrett! Just out of curiosity, what is the best combination of emulator and control system you have found for obtaining the best sensitivity and reaction timing to play these platformers? I recall trying Mario-I again with Nesticle and a Gravis-in-a-sound-card-game-port a few years ago, and it was tough getting the same responsiveness as an NES console.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:50 pm 

Nesticle is a tad outdated these days. My personal favorite is FCEUX, which appears to be one of the few NES emulators with debugging capabilities that is still being actively developed. Of course it's still not without issues and I always enjoy bugging them when I find an issue. There's also Nestopia, which hasn't seen anything new happen in a couple years, but still good nonetheless. As for control system, I dunno. I just use the keyboard.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:29 am 

To say Nesticle's a tad outdated is being nice. :)
I think the best right now are FCEUX or Nestopia. Right now, I play with a PS2 controller with a USB adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:09 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
I think the best right now are FCEUX or Nestopia. Right now, I play with a PS2 controller with a USB adapter.
KM, do you have that little blue translucent USB adapter that will take two PS controllers? Taskforce alerted me to those, on sale with an eBay source, and I grabbed a handful for about two bucks each! They came with a little mini-CD driver disk, which TF swore would enhance sensitivity, even in XP and beyond. Heh, I guess the entity that got dated with Nesticle is MOI!! (Shades of our golden DoaE-II days, though!!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:36 am 
Wildbill wrote:
KingMike wrote:
KM, do you have that little blue translucent USB adapter that will take two PS controllers? Taskforce alerted me to those, on sale with an eBay source, and I grabbed a handful for about two bucks each! They came with a little mini-CD driver disk, which TF swore would enhance sensitivity, even in XP and beyond. Heh, I guess the entity that got dated with Nesticle is MOI!! (Shades of our golden DoaE-II days, though!!)

Wildbill, I have one PS2/PSX adapter, with a mini-CD with a driver, but I don't know if it's the same as yours.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:44 am 

Mine is a RadioShack-branded one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:30 pm 

Wildbill wrote:

@Wildbill
Do You have this?
or this?
I have the second(using PS2 pads with this) adapter and it's kinda crap. It's working fine, is autodectected without any drivers, but right now sometimes I have some problems with it. Sometimes inputs(hope You know what I mean - my poor englisjh >.>) don't connect well and I have to touch it or hit. If i move it a little then i risk that it stops again... It's look like this device has low durability.

If about emulator, I use only VirtuaNES. Lately I even beat few short NES games(english) like Felix the Cat, 1942(yes, this hardcore crapy shoter ; D), Castlevania and Power Blade. Sometimes I'm NES freak and when I see screenshots from that new translated game by Garett I have again this NES feeling =).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next