Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: KingMike's Translations
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:40 pm 

The English translation of Deep Dungeon II, the sequel/continuation of the first-person dungeon crawler RPG for the Famicom Disk System, has been released.

My site

So, that's now three of the four games translated.
The last one, Deep Dungeon III for the Famicom, is one that frustrated me (with balancing issues) when I last played it. But I still want to finish it, as it was quite an effort to get the ROM expansion working.
I am also working on a re-translation of Deep Dungeon IV. It was translated some time ago by another group, but even the author of that one felt it was buggy and worth a re-do.
So, odino retranslated the script, snark edited it, and I'm working on re-hacking from scratch.

But likely to come before that is The Legend of Peach Boy for NES and Nadia for Genesis.

Post subject: Re: KingMike's Translations
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, nice going KingMike. Congratulations on the release. Looking forward to checking out Naida when you finish.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
The English translation of Deep Dungeon II, the sequel/continuation of the first-person dungeon crawler RPG for the Famicom Disk System, has been released.

My site

The last one, Deep Dungeon III for the Famicom, is one that frustrated me (with balancing issues) when I last played it. But I still want to finish it, as it was quite an effort to get the ROM expansion working.
I am also working on a re-translation of Deep Dungeon IV. It was translated some time ago by another group, but even the author of that one felt it was buggy and worth a re-do.
So, odino retranslated the script, snark edited it, and I'm working on re-hacking from scratch.

But likely to come before that is The Legend of Peach Boy for NES and Nadia for Genesis.

Nice work! I see you still love the 8-bit world! :) Lets see you kick out some Snes stuff and really display your skill. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
KingMike wrote:

My site

Nice work! I see you still love the 8-bit world! :) Lets see you kick out some Snes stuff and really display your skill. :)

Hey he said he was working on a Genesis release. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:20 am 

I am working on Maka-maka, a game that risen to the rank of "legendary crap game" in Japan. :P
Seriously, how do you release an RPG where the non-combat spell menu functionality is broken (and I confirmed with a legit copy)?
The graphics decompression code is so poorly coded I remember posting some on RHDN and (I think) Nightcrawler thought I wrote it and how I could correct it. :D
Also, one of only two games where I had to intentionally put bugs in my compressor for compatibility.
So I rewrote it, thought it still didn't fix the horrendous loading time (one game that would make me wish for a speed key on a real console) :)

Now... as to working on enjoyable SNES games:
I've done some work on Shin Momotarou Densetsu. I guess big challenge 1 was getting the script dumped (thanks to Steve Martin for correcting the kanji table and pointing out dumping errors). The next difficult thing is probably going to be the menus and making the game not glitch horribly or crash with item names over 8 characters.
SD Gundam Gaiden stands still from lack of translation (I remember a few years ago some dude complaining I was taking too long and wanted me to tell them how to hack it). :P
I have no good reason for not having 3x3 Eyes finished already, thought it's in the plans. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
I am working on Maka-maka, a game that risen to the rank of "legendary crap game" in Japan. :P
Seriously, how do you release an RPG where the non-combat spell menu functionality is broken (and I confirmed with a legit copy)?
The graphics decompression code is so poorly coded I remember posting some on RHDN and (I think) Nightcrawler thought I wrote it and how I could correct it. :D
Also, one of only two games where I had to intentionally put bugs in my compressor for compatibility.
So I rewrote it, thought it still didn't fix the horrendous loading time (one game that would make me wish for a speed key on a real console) :)

Now... as to working on enjoyable SNES games:
I've done some work on Shin Momotarou Densetsu. I guess big challenge 1 was getting the script dumped (thanks to Steve Martin for correcting the kanji table and pointing out dumping errors). The next difficult thing is probably going to be the menus and making the game not glitch horribly or crash with item names over 8 characters.
SD Gundam Gaiden stands still from lack of translation (I remember a few years ago some dude complaining I was taking too long and wanted me to tell them how to hack it). :P
I have no good reason for not having 3x3 Eyes finished already, thought it's in the plans. :(

Now that's what I'm talking about. If you have anything that you can use a short time of help on, I might be able to assist. Like compressor, VWF routine. Stuff like that I guess. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:43 am 

Looks like I'll have a couple VWF bugs to fix in GS Mikami, but lately I've been working on Kabuki Rocks.
Dumping the script is looking to be a pain. The game seems to have event code embedded in the text, almost RPGMaker-like. I suppose I'll have to worry later about making it look nice and pretty for a translation. But I guess right now it's more important to get all the control codes dumping correctly.
I wonder if I should bother worry about what the non-text codes do (labeling purposes, obviously if it turns out later one needs repointing, then I'll need to worry)? (the code seems to have a "open text window" and "close text window" command, so I guess I should only really worry about what happens between there?
Yes, it seems the Yes/No command does embed pointers to the yes and no scripts, and there is also a "goto" instruction. Not sure yet the best way to handle those when re-inserting. Label each command? I'm guessing I'll probably need to dump each string to a file, even though I'll probably end up with a thousand or so tiny files, or else have one big monster file?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:13 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Looks like I'll have a couple VWF bugs to fix in GS Mikami, but lately I've been working on Kabuki Rocks.
Dumping the script is looking to be a pain. The game seems to have event code embedded in the text, almost RPGMaker-like. I suppose I'll have to worry later about making it look nice and pretty for a translation. But I guess right now it's more important to get all the control codes dumping correctly.
I wonder if I should bother worry about what the non-text codes do (labeling purposes, obviously if it turns out later one needs repointing, then I'll need to worry)? (the code seems to have a "open text window" and "close text window" command, so I guess I should only really worry about what happens between there?
Yes, it seems the Yes/No command does embed pointers to the yes and no scripts, and there is also a "goto" instruction. Not sure yet the best way to handle those when re-inserting. Label each command? I'm guessing I'll probably need to dump each string to a file, even though I'll probably end up with a thousand or so tiny files, or else have one big monster file?

Dude, when it comes to scripting codes, you need to figure them all out! ( See Mystic Ark )
For example, Mystic Ark, Aretha 2, Chaos Seed and Princess Minerva are a few games
I know off hand that are a pain without scripting knowledge. Each game get's handled
in it's own way but they are all similar to an extent. Here are some examples...

( The major issue is decoding this crap is tedious as hell!!!! )

Mystic Ark:
Code:
.POINTER = $00C6AFA2
.POINTER = $00C760BE
.POINTER = $00C771FA
.POINTER = $00C7AA61
.POINTER = $00C7ADAB
.POINTER = $00C7ADB3
.POINTER = $00C7ADF3
.POINTER = $00C7C79A
;------------------------;
; Declared Pointer Label ;
_Label_CA0002_:

.TEXT
[IF $C302][GOTO _Label_CA0047_]
You see an odd-looking
machine protruding from
the ground.
.ENDT

.POINTER = $00C7ADBB
.POINTER = $00C7C6DA
_Label_CA0022_:

.TEXT
[IF $C302][GOTO _Label_CA0047_]
This device is called a
"machine".  Its use is
unknown.
.ENDT

Chaos Seed:
Code:
;#######################;
; Open Dialogue Session ;
.TEXT.OPEN
Do you think that the world[newl]
would've ended if the egg[newl]
hadn't been brought back?
.ENDSCRIPT

_Label_011D:
.TEST[$3A] [$AB] .GOTO.W _Label_0133 // [$0133]
.OPCODE[$33].USE [$AB]

.TEXT.OPEN
Yaw... *hick* Da bestibal..![newl]
*hick* *hick* Ahm so happy![Keyp]
*Hick* *Hick*
.ENDSCRIPT

_Label_0133:

.TEXT.OPEN
Yeeeayyyyyyy!
.ENDSCRIPT

Aretha 2:
Code:
;-------------------------;
; Declared Script Pointer ;
;-------------------------;
_Script_103:  // [ Offset: $0000020A ]

;***********************;
;***********************;
.TEXT.OPEN
  .STRING _String_0000020C
.RETURN

; Call the "GIVE ITEM" routine
.GIVE-ITEM[$0E]
  .ITEM     = 5           // [アレサのなみだ]
  .COUNT    = 1 
  .SHOW-MSG = 1 
  .SCRIPT   = _Script_106 // If full inventory
.END.ITEM

.JUMP _Script_107
.ENDSCRIPT

And the latest, Princess Minerva:
Code:
;%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%;
;                        ;
_Label_2730_:
.TEST[$B8] .ARG[$03] .GOTO _Label_27C0_
.FACE[$00]
; ‚±‚ñ‚È‚Æ‚±‚ë‚É“´‚­‚‚ªH
; “ü‚Á‚Ă݂悤‚©‚µ‚çH[keywin]
.FACE[$0A]
; •P—l
; ‚킯‚à‚È‚­s“®‚·‚é‚Ì‚Í
; ‚¨‚â‚ß‚­‚¾‚³‚¢[keywin]
.FACE[$00]
; ‚Ó‚ñ@ƒuƒ‹[ƒ‚ƒŠƒX‚Ì‚¯‚¿[keywin]
.TEXT.CLOSE
.CODE[$A1] .ARG[$00] .USE(0B01)
.CODE[$A2] .ARG[$FF]
.CODE[$A8] .ARG[$00]
.CODE[$A2] .ARG[$FF]
.EXIT[$FF00]

;                        ;
_Label_27C0_:
.CODE[$9A] .ARG[$00] .USE(3400170C0100)
.EXIT[$FF00]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:14 pm 

New translation patch finished.

It's an SNES puzzle game called Mahou Poipoi Poitto!

Still can't update my site, so here's a link to the patch.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y75DGQVT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:08 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
New translation patch finished.

It's an SNES puzzle game called Mahou Poipoi Poitto!

Still can't update my site, so here's a link to the patch.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y75DGQVT
Congrats, King MIke! An SNES game, I see.
How are Deep Dungeons-III and IV progressing?