Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post subject: Re: KingMike's Translations
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:34 am 

Puzzles are always fun, thanks for this release KM!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:47 pm 

I just began working on a text inserter for Deep Dungeon IV.
Got it to auto-detect DTE and substrings when fed a list of DTE and substrings.
I also programmed it to hopefully tell me if I run out of room, as well.
Going to have completely re-enter snark's translation, but at least that gives me an excuse to give her script an extra proofread. You can never do enough of those. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:57 am 

Example of hacking progress.
Got it to support DTE for secondary party members (main character still limited to 5 characters), so now I can hopefully have up to 8 letter names.
Moved the character condition to its own line (originally, the top line would display a 5-letter name, space and 2-char condition code). "Pure" indicates normal condition, but maybe I should leave it blank when there's no negative status, like the original? Wonder if I should move HP down a line, or does it look fine?
I know the bold numbers perhaps clash a bit with the thin letters. But I like because I like to set the text speed to the fastest setting so it just flashes by and the bold numbers stand out a bit more.
I suppose I might need to abbreviate "Paralysis" to "Para" to fit the window limit. (the game did the same with the original. "doku" (poison) was just "do" because of the two-character limit.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:09 am 

Personally I'd go for blank if there is no status condition, and I'd move the HP display a line down for readability,
the bold is okay, though, its an important value and should stand out.

Edit: You could use stun for paralysis to fit the char limit without cut-offs
or truncations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Example of hacking progress.
Got it to support DTE for secondary party members (main character still limited to 5 characters), so now I can hopefully have up to 8 letter names.
Moved the character condition to its own line (originally, the top line would display a 5-letter name, space and 2-char condition code). "Pure" indicates normal condition, but maybe I should leave it blank when there's no negative status, like the original? Wonder if I should move HP down a line, or does it look fine?
I know the bold numbers perhaps clash a bit with the thin letters. But I like because I like to set the text speed to the fastest setting so it just flashes by and the bold numbers stand out a bit more.
I suppose I might need to abbreviate "Paralysis" to "Para" to fit the window limit. (the game did the same with the original. "doku" (poison) was just "do" because of the two-character limit.)
My choice would also be to position the space between the name and the values. Lookin' good!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:01 am 

Just beat this game, verifying it is fully-playable and should be bug-free.
About the HP/MP window, not so easy to move the space. I think that formatting is buried a bit too deep.
Also, kind of ugly is the character stats screen, but I think it'll have to do.

What I had was like:
HP
MP
Attack Power
(value)
Defence Power
(value)
Strength (value)
Spirit (value)
Agility (value)
Resistance (value)

Fixed it so that Attack and Defence value are on the same line, but still has the awkward spacing. (double spaced Attack/Defence, then single-space for the other four)

(the original game displayed Attack and Defence on separate lines, and then Strength and Spirit on one line, and Agility and Resistance on another)

The only left this game should need is a title logo, and then it should be ready.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Just beat this game, verifying it is fully-playable and should be bug-free.
About the HP/MP window, not so easy to move the space. I think that formatting is buried a bit too deep.
Also, kind of ugly is the character stats screen, but I think it'll have to do.

What I had was like:
HP
MP
Attack Power
(value)
Defence Power
(value)
Strength (value)
Spirit (value)
Agility (value)
Resistance (value)

Fixed it so that Attack and Defence value are on the same line, but still has the awkward spacing. (double spaced Attack/Defence, then single-space for the other four)

(the original game displayed Attack and Defence on separate lines, and then Strength and Spirit on one line, and Agility and Resistance on another)

The only left this game should need is a title logo, and then it should be ready.
I played a lot of these "crawlers" back in the day. I recall I would get a pencil and paper and sketch every floor and cram my crude artwork into the game box until it "puffed out". Then, 3rd party companies started publishing game guides, and I got lazy! I want to give this one a try when you release. Thanks for putting in all the time and work to bring us another game to play!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:10 pm 

Haha I'm really really bad at crawlers, getting lost all the time.
Congrats on nearing a new release KM.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:59 pm 

I haven't posted to this thread in so many years?

Well, per filler's suggestion I looked again at the coding for Legend of Kagerou (when speaking to do that or Touch) to redo the text printing from vertical to horizontal.
It's the most convoluted thing I've looked at.
It's like I got the parts of the routine worked out. Now how they work together remains to be figured out and hopefully soon.
Like it seems it'll break the window drawing routine into parts A, B and C.
Instead of going directly from A to B, A will set some stuff that will tell it to jump to part B on the next NMI.
Maybe it was a way to break it down so that it won't try to write too much to VRAM at once (as the NES doesn't have a general purpose DMA like the SNES so it is more limited in what it can write each time) but it's complex.
(and also figuring out how to actually play Kagerou is something I'm still working at. Not sure if I can use healing Capsules in battle, which is kind of bad, as the game likes to spawn encounters at random. Sometimes even right after finishing a battle. It might be time-based, but sometimes so fast that I don't know if even spamming A after winning a battle to open the menu before an enemy spawns would work. I figured out Select is the "run away" button, but if it wasn't successful it will spawn another battle, and I think my guy can still take hits just running off the screen. Still not sure if dead party members can be revived or if there is a proper place to refill health Capsules, or if I just have to farm them from random drops. EXP seems to exist but is a hidden value (I just suddenly level-up after fighting a bunch of enemies), like Aretha GB. It seems like HP is restored at the starting place, or maybe just over time on the overworld.)

Though I banged out some progress on another couple of my oldest works.
I think I figured out Satomi Hakkenden's text format completely. Wrapped up in a couple layers of pointers, it seems the game can tell the text system to print less than all of the text in a message. The thing is that value it sends to the function also uses a couple bits to tell it which text format to use, which is important for dumping text correctly. I think I got it and will need to work on dumping then. At least I wrote myself one full example in case I forget later.

Last, taking a look at RPG Maker 2, it seems that long time spent on RPGM1 might have paid off. It seems to be similar enough that I could document like 99% of the SRAM map. And just finding a couple windows to expand as an example, it looks similar in that regard too. Just a couple header bytes I can't identify in the scenario format The other holes are by the Title data and some in the Enemy Map section, which I don't think are critical for translation purposes) but I suspect are unused. Maybe a third byte for free SRAM size, were they maybe considering 128KB at some point? (the largest used SNES SRAM size)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:22 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
I haven't posted to this thread in so many years?

Well, per filler's suggestion I looked again at the coding for Legend of Kagerou (when speaking to do that or Touch) to redo the text printing from vertical to horizontal.
It's the most convoluted thing I've looked at.
It's like I got the parts of the routine worked out. Now how they work together remains to be figured out and hopefully soon.
Like it seems it'll break the window drawing routine into parts A, B and C.
Instead of going directly from A to B, A will set some stuff that will tell it to jump to part B on the next NMI.
Maybe it was a way to break it down so that it won't try to write too much to VRAM at once (as the NES doesn't have a general purpose DMA like the SNES so it is more limited in what it can write each time) but it's complex.
(and also figuring out how to actually play Kagerou is something I'm still working at. Not sure if I can use healing Capsules in battle, which is kind of bad, as the game likes to spawn encounters at random. Sometimes even right after finishing a battle. It might be time-based, but sometimes so fast that I don't know if even spamming A after winning a battle to open the menu before an enemy spawns would work. I figured out Select is the "run away" button, but if it wasn't successful it will spawn another battle, and I think my guy can still take hits just running off the screen. Still not sure if dead party members can be revived or if there is a proper place to refill health Capsules, or if I just have to farm them from random drops. EXP seems to exist but is a hidden value (I just suddenly level-up after fighting a bunch of enemies), like Aretha GB. It seems like HP is restored at the starting place, or maybe just over time on the overworld.)

Though I banged out some progress on another couple of my oldest works.
I think I figured out Satomi Hakkenden's text format completely. Wrapped up in a couple layers of pointers, it seems the game can tell the text system to print less than all of the text in a message. The thing is that value it sends to the function also uses a couple bits to tell it which text format to use, which is important for dumping text correctly. I think I got it and will need to work on dumping then. At least I wrote myself one full example in case I forget later.

Last, taking a look at RPG Maker 2, it seems that long time spent on RPGM1 might have paid off. It seems to be similar enough that I could document like 99% of the SRAM map. And just finding a couple windows to expand as an example, it looks similar in that regard too. Just a couple header bytes I can't identify in the scenario format The other holes are by the Title data and some in the Enemy Map section, which I don't think are critical for translation purposes) but I suspect are unused. Maybe a third byte for free SRAM size, were they maybe considering 128KB at some point? (the largest used SNES SRAM size)

So...Are you translating all out, or just considering projects? Many games left with your name on them. Could sure use the experience. :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next