Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Near’s SNES Bahamut Lagoon English Released
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

https://near.sh/bahamut-lagoon

Post subject: Re: Near’s SNES Bahamut Lagoon English Released
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:17 pm 

Great news!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

This is nice of course, but I sadly don't quite see the point of translating a game that already has a proper translation since 2002. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the effort, but the fact is that the DeJap version is already perfect as it is already. The translation itself is accurate, the font used is great and there's also a sound mode added in. I hate to be "that guy", but there just doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to spend so much time re-translating a game that has already been completed years ago when there's still so many other good ones remaining untouched. But hey, to each his own I suppose... Maybe this just stems from me being a huge fan of early translation works from groups such as DeJap and LNF Translations.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
This is nice of course, but I sadly don't quite see the point of translating a game that already has a proper translation since 2002. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the effort, but the fact is that the DeJap version is already perfect as it is already. The translation itself is accurate, the font used is great and there's also a sound mode added in. I hate to be "that guy", but there just doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to spend so much time re-translating a game that has already been completed years ago when there's still so many other good ones remaining untouched. But hey, to each his own I suppose... Maybe this just stems from me being a huge fan of early translation works from groups such as DeJap and LNF Translations.
Maybe Near had been working on his dream of doing that game a certain way for many, many years, and its completion is sort of a catharsis that makes everything in the universe right for a while.

TF feels that way about Hourai High School, and feel the same about DQ-VI. If someone built and supported an insertion system for the SFC version of DQ-VI, I would painstakingly put together an English version in the style of the four NES games created by Enix in English. I don't like the handheld English reading of that game.

I'm working a little on Odysselya-I again. It needs lots of menu work, a good Kana translator, and very likely a bit more assembly work.

Power of the Hired will be a bit glitchy in some menus and a few dialogue boxes in places, but I've encountered no show-stoppers up to Chapter 5 (of 18).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:17 pm 

In my eyes, the wish to create your very own translation of your favorite game is understandable - even if it has already been translated. I have played a bit of this new Bahamut Lagoon version and for me it is way better than the previous one. Especially as Tom has translated the skript from scratch and I am a big fan of his work since Far East of Eden Zero.

For me it's the same with Terranigma. There is an existing German translation of this game (even an official one done by Nintendo), but the font is horrible and because of space limitations the script got heavily shortened. So, we decided to do it again - but this time properly:

https://snes-projects.de/forum/index.php?thread/3444-terranigma-vwf-edition-ntsc-version/

Wildbill, if there is ever an English patch for Dragon Quest VI, I will be the first to play it. Beside Oni II and Traverse this is the last remaining project of the SNES era I am really interested in. If this gets ever done, I am officially happy with everything the SNES had to offer! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Pete wrote:
In my eyes, the wish to create your very own translation of your favorite game is understandable - even if it has already been translated. I have played a bit of this new Bahamut Lagoon version and for me it is way better than the previous one. Especially as Tom has translated the skript from scratch and I am a big fan of his work since Far East of Eden Zero.

For me it's the same with Terranigma. There is an existing German translation of this game (even an official one done by Nintendo), but the font is horrible and because of space limitations the script got heavily shortened. So, we decided to do it again - but this time properly:

https://snes-projects.de/forum/index.php?thread/3444-terranigma-vwf-edition-ntsc-version/

Wildbill, if there is ever an English patch for Dragon Quest VI, I will be the first to play it. Beside Oni II and Traverse this is the last remaining project of the SNES era I am really interested in. If this gets ever done, I am officially happy with everything the SNES had to offer! :)
Are you part of the German Terranigma work, Pete?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:41 pm 

Wildbill wrote:

Yes, I am the one who started this project round about 10 years ago and have been a core part of the group who released the German VWF version.

Currently I'm working on an even more extended German version of the game (retranslation, more script, new interpretation of the story).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:52 am 
Site Admin

Pete wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Yes, I am the one who started this project round about 10 years ago and have been a core part of the group who released the German VWF version.

Currently I'm working on an even more extended German version of the game (retranslation, more script, new interpretation of the story).
Super! Best of fortune reaching your goal.