Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Byuu Retires
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:09 am 
Site Admin

In case people don't visit Byuu's page, I wanted to let you know that he just retired. He's the guy who poured so much time and effort into creating accurate emulators for various systems, but most notably for the SNES. Without his help, we may never have realized that some of our projects were not working properly on original hardware. Although at first I had a very myopic "who cares" attitude, he made me see how important it was that things run as they should, and we all owe him a debt for all the hard work he put into emulation.

So thanks, Byuu! Three cheers!

Post subject: Re: Byuu Retires
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

I would also like to thank Byuu for all the work he has done over the years. We as individuals and as a group might have butted heads with him now and again, but that doesn't take away from all his accomplishments. I've read his statement, and I hope stepping away makes him healthier and happier. I very much feel for him as I also have arthritis which keeps me from being able to work on a computer as long as I'd like these days. Again, thank you Byuu.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:30 am 

His legacy will live on surely. Hope he'll find a relief and improvements on his life since he's goin' into a new life style :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:01 pm 

Seems to me he suffered from depression. His contribution to SNES-gaming is huge, especially his effort in creating accurate emulators like BSNES.

What I didn't like about him was his behaviour and the way he treated people. Always seemed arrogant to me and I think he had some serious mental issues. Furthermore, he tended to give promises he never kept. Like with Far East of Eden Zero, when he had promised for say 10 years he would do this game and so prevented others from tackling the project. In the end, of course, he never finished it. I guess he not even started it. Fortunately, the game was translated by Tom in the end in less then three years.

So, of course, huge contribution to the scene, but somehow a weird, strange and unfortunate person.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:23 pm 

Pete wrote:
Seems to me he suffered from depression. His contribution to SNES-gaming is huge, especially his effort in creating accurate emulators like BSNES.

What I didn't like about him was his behaviour and the way he treated people. Always seemed arrogant to me and I think he had some serious mental issues. Furthermore, he tended to give promises he never kept. Like with Far East of Eden Zero, when he had promised for say 10 years he would do this game and so prevented others from tackling the project. In the end, of course, he never finished it. I guess he not even started it. Fortunately, the game was translated by Tom in the end in less then three years.

So, of course, huge contribution to the scene, but somehow a weird, strange and unfortunate person.

Well, I have to say that I partially agree on the part of not finishing translations (I also waited for his translation of the first Daikaijuu Monogatari, which was left unfinished until DD picked it up and took it to completion at last). But, as many people say, we need to have in mind that fan translation is an unpaid job and thus they owe nothing to anyone. And I'm saying this although I'm the first one who gets unreasonably angry and throws an internal tantrum feeling kind of "betrayed" when translators leave their projects in an unfinished state (Madara 2 comes to mind) but that's how things are in this circle and we can't take for granted other people's work unless we're paying them, that's a fact.

Whenever a new translation announcement comes up I always try to have in mind that there are some probabilities that it will never be completed, and come up to terms with that. That way, the disappointment is smaller if the worst case scenario happens.

I myself tried to start a translation for Jungle Wars 2 (only the text, as I don't have any rom hack skills), but had to quit as my Japanese knowledge wasn't good enough and couldn't find anyone willing to offer help steadily. I hope I haven't disappointed anyone who was looking forward to play that one.

That said (I always tend to long and boring rants), I hope the best for Byuu and I also thank him for all the work he has done in the emulation scene, which hasn't been a small contribution.

I hope you all people are doing ok.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:35 am 
Site Admin

While it's quite sad to see another romhacker disappear from the scene, I can't exactly say that I'm at all heart broken by this news. The truth is that despite his success with Bsnes and Higan, he really was a deeply disturbed individual. And that's putting it mildly. Byuu lashed out at anyone who even remotely disagreed with him on anything. He hates IPS patches, .smc format, Zsnes users, etc. On top of this, he also had very strange and controversial hobbies and opinions on rather strange and deeply troubling things. And let's also not forget about how he tried to rip people off by selling his SNES games at a ridiculously high price, among many other things as well. It really would've been much better for him to avoid such drama and controversies.

I don't like the idea of talking behind someone's back, but the guy really was a nut. I'm honestly surprised that he isn't yet locked away in a mental institution... And not to add any further insults, but I never really liked using any of his obsessive "accurate emulators" either. Zsnes and Snes9x still work perfectly fine for me. And Pete is completely right about his arrogant and self righteous a$$hole behavior. I too am a fan translator here at D-D, but we never once made people wait and beg for ten or more years for us to release a translation. Claiming translation projects also stops others from picking them up which can be very frustrating. Gideon Zhi does this as well to a lesser extent, but it's still very annoying and tiresome. I don't think that expecting a small update on the current progress of a translation project is too much to ask for. And if the project is cancelled, the fans can at least be told about it. And not after ten or more years of waiting in vain...

Furthermore, I can't exactly feel sorry for his "depression" anyways. Byuu always acted like some elitist scum that was above everyone else. He wrote that he's sad about not being able to learn Japanese and yet he states that he despises people who can't speak English properly. While such a thing may be justified for punks/thugs who purposely write poorly online, it's not a forgivable attitude towards foreign speakers who aren't yet fluent in the English language. That's a bit of a double standard if you ask me. Perhaps my fellow teammates might not feel quite as strongly as me, but that's just how it is. He's had years to change his tone, yet he steadily became even worse with time. I'll just end this post now by saying that his work and talent will be missed, but not the person himself. Sorry if this came out too harsh, but someone needed to say it. He can basically be described in three words: obsessive, intolerant and opinionated.

Note: My apologies for this harsh past comment. At the time, Byuu/Near seemed like a very macho/alpha type of person with a very opinionated attitude towards everyone and everything. Had I known the real facts back then, I wouldn't have made such remarks about him. My condolences goes out to Byuu/Near's family and friends. Rest in peace...
http://www.dynamic-designs.us/d-dforum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1120

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 am 

Thanks, Recca. That's exactly what I wanted to say. As I am not a native speaker of English, I think you expressed it better than me. Your message sums it up perfectly. Thank you. Really talented person with a troubled and questionable personality. I would not have liked to meet him personally. Don't think this guy is good company. But just my opinion...