Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VGA/CRT Out Screeshots
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:57 am 

I picked up a VGA in/out converter with CRT support off Ebay. Chinese, unbranded... about $13.00. Hooked my laptop to it, put some PC speakers on the side, and set SNES 9x to 640x480 simple 2x.

One gripe I have is that there are only 8 degrees of sharpness, as opposed to the 30 or so that were standard in the 80s/90s (though the far left choices are close enough). This could also be seen as a feature though, as not many boxes have that option and this TV set doesn't offer a sharpness adjust. Another is that the converter box is apparently a SOC that does automatic contouring of the image to make sure it fits onto a round screen without any cut-off. The problem is that I'm using a flat screen with vertical scanlines... that results in some serious artifacting outside the middle half of the screen, getting drastically worse towards the left and right edges as the scanlines get progressively longer. It's very noticeable when the screen scrolls horizontally.

Some of the shots are blurry. Below is a bit closer to what my eyes are seeing (without the dark band).

I'm getting some interference (horizontal rippling from top to bottom) and minor flicker. I know it's not the TV because the TV's picture is clear with PS2 and its setup text has no flicker either.

The SOC contours the image with software, so emulated scanline filters just make the picture darker. Generally speaking, all the filters look bad.

This is the device itself:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

Post subject: Re: VGA/CRT Out Screeshots
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:40 pm 

I tried changing the output frame rate to 70hz instead of 60. This resulted in the static getting diffused across the screen, but it's less noticeable altogether. Just using VGA/RCA cables with a SD TV that has real customization options would probably be the best solution, tho.