Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Clone consoles violating copyright/licesing of emulators
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

This is an interesting article that I think is pertinent to the discussion happening around our "not for sale" disclaimer in La Wares. I've posted it here so as not to go too off topic in that thread.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018- ... eservation

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post subject: Re: Clone consoles violating copyright/licesing of emulators
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
This is an interesting article that I think is pertinent to the discussion happening around our "not for sale" disclaimer in La Wares. I've posted it here so as not to go too off topic in that thread.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018- ... eservation
This sort of subject makes my head explode. I see no way one scintilla of the emulator-related freeware floating in cyberspace can be copyright-protected through any practical means. As far as clone devices are concerned, I figure market forces will drive their profitability and longevity.

In the time I have available, I just want to write stories and play 16-bit Japanese RPGs in English. Once we release a patch that works in just one emulator, I figure we have created our segment of an immutable package. Whatever comes along later, as I see it, is irrelevant, insofar as playing and enjoying that specific game. A means to enjoy it shall not perish.

Back in the days I worked in government bureaucracies as a uniformed military assignee, one of the first things I learned about intelligence personnel pursuing civilian career tracks was how many of them loved to sit around conference tables half a day and talk subjects to death. Things didn't work that way in the operational military. When deployed, we were men of mostly action and little talk.

I suppose I've brought that ethic into this hobby, because right now I'm itching to see what the townies are doing in the Mexico City scenario of 3X3 eyes (if only Bongo` would fix my broken level-up process). In Odysselya-II, I need to glean the advice I need in a Pacific Coast town of South America before I go traipsing off to an Andes Mountain cave in order to recruit a dragon king "familiar" who - after I defeat him in a "baptism" fight - gives me a Soil Talisman for summoning his power in future battles.

In the back of my mind, I'm also debating what I want to say in those and other games regarding the piracy issue - and dedications - which reminds me... Do you have a dedication in mind for 3X3 Eyes? Now, I'm returning to action.

Post subject: Re: Clone consoles violating copyright/licesing of emulators
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

I'm right there with you. I'm a doer, not a talker. That said, I do find the ethical questions around what we do especially interesting as it pertains both to doers/makers, and consumers. One upside of the debate is the Super NT (a super nintendo clone console) had a custom emulator made by engineer Kevtris, specifically for the system, which is definitely the right way to go about a commercial product like that. Info about that here: https://youtu.be/d_OW_t9RXEM I'd also like to think that if I go to the trouble of licensing my software, that license will be respected by other creators.

As for dedications, I have a number of ideas. I made a video recently where I look back on some of my projects, and I mention SaikyoMog who did longplays of Slayers, my Bubblegum Crash game, and possibly other DD or Filler projects. I mention in the video that he'd reached out to me one time about Slayers I believe and I wasn't welcoming about him making a full playthrough on YouTube. "Jeremy(Saikyomog) passed away 02/20/15" as is stated on his videos, and the channel is maintained by I assume a friend or family member. Over time I've come to appreciate the videos on YouTube, and it might be nice to recognize his passing and the contribution he made to preserving gameplay videos of our projects.

I've also recently taken notice of ShiryuGLs videos of our releases. They give short gameplay previews of all our releases, and normally write up a news post on NintendoLife. I appreciate this effort to showcase our projects, and a dedication to recognize that might be nice.

Additionally, I mentioned previously that I've noticed the many contributions FlashPV has made to the hobby over the years. It sounds like we've worked with them a bit in the past, and a dedication recognizing them might also be appropriate.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB