Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: President of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, has passed away.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:10 am 

I still can't believe it.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/nintendo_president_satoru_iwata_passes_away_aged_55

Now it makes it kind of hard to think about that even with that illnes he still tried to be the typical goofball he was during Nintendo Directs and other events.

Damn. I'm not able to find the words.

Post subject: Re: President of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, has passed away.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:41 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, saw this earlier today... Definitely a big loss for the industry :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:15 pm 

He's been referred to in the ending credits cutscene for the upcoming Wii U game Star Fox Zero. You can see the screenshot of it.
http://nintendoeverything.com/star-fox- ... oru-iwata/ (April 11, 2016 by Brian(@NE_Brian))
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/04/11/s ... oru-iwata/ (natalielevig. Posted on April 11, 2016)
Quote:
It has been pointed out via social media today, that halfway through the Star Fox Zero credits is a subtle line dedicated to the late Satoru Iwata. The credits read “This game is dedicated to our wingman who fell in battle”

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:23 am 

I saw a good video done by the Video Game Historian on Iwata's life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4cJh2YgrKE

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:10 pm 

http://shmuplations.com/ has translated packages of several Japanese developer articles in late June and late July. In the latest update on 7/26 (2016) one of them is an interview with Satoru Iwata and talks about the early days at HAL Laboratory. Pretty cool. This is probably the best article so far to find out about his career in the 1990's and has many photos of him and some other pals including a 1992 photo of him and Shigeru Miyamoto together with their infectious smiles, who both remarkably still looked the same as they did up to Iwata's passing!

In the 2nd interview article above it's about a former engineer at Taito. This didn't reveal much detail to me but googling his name (So many articles. Do check them, trust me, worth it!) revealed more fascinating information about his career and the famous game he created called Space Invaders, which kickstarted the Japanese video game industry! Even the last photo in the above article is captioned "The Father of Japanese video games.". There is only a brief answer near the end regarding some NES & SFC games where he "made games in the Jinsei Gekijou and Kyuukyoku Harikiri Stadium series."

* EDIT (05/08/2016):
And right on cue... I found this new video uploaded Aug 03 2016. It's a PSP makeover of the Space Invaders series:
Space Invaders Extreme Game Sample - PSP (Please read the description with the poster remarking on what has happened to Taito these days...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:47 am 

Wow. Frank Cifaldi, a devotee to preserving the early history of gaming via emulation and abandonware has discovered the first code written by Satoru Iwata for a Joust game for the Famicom inside some circuit board!

This could be the first code Satoru Iwata ever wrote for Nintendo (By Charlie Hall. Aug 16, 2016, 12:30p. A reddit thread linking to this article.)
http://nintendoeverything.com/first-nin ... bly-found/ (Posted on August 16, 2016 by Zack)
Satoru Iwata’s first Nintendo project found, preserved by historian (By Danny Cowan — August 16, 2016 1:01 PM)
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/154630 ... r-nintendo (BY RYAN WINSLETT)

His tweet:
    Quote:
    Joust was the first thing Satoru Iwata, the eventual president of Nintendo, ever coded for a Nintendo system.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:17 am 

Hahaha :lol:, I saw this on live TV - the part at Rio Olympics' closing ceremony where the Japanese contingent put on quite a show 8-) by starting out with Japan's current PM donning on a Mario hat :geek: and masquerading as Super Mario :ugeek: and then, funnily enough, entering through a Nintendo-themed green pipe :mrgreen: to get to Rio on time!

Note: Lots of these articles have video clips too.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/olympics ... o-costume/ (11:33 AM; August 22 by Des Bieler)
Japanese Prime Minister Arrives at Rio Olympics As Super Mario (Matt Kim. August 21, 2016. Headline: "Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announces the Summer 2020 Tokyo Games Cosplaying as the famous video game hero.")
Watch Japan's Prime Minister morph into Mario for the Olympics' closing ceremony (By Rich McCormick. Aug 21, 2016, 11:03p.)
WATCH: The Prime Minister of Japan as Super Mario in Rio (Published 10:30 pm EDT, August 21, 2016. By Jessica McBride.)
Tokyo 2020 - Mario is comming (Video. Published on Aug 21, 2016)

Excerpts from The Verge's article:
Quote:
Countries lean heavily on national stereotypes during their Olympic ceremonies. ... For Japan, the next host of the summer games completing the handover in Rio de Janeiro tonight, it was video games.
The clip emphasizes the significance of video games and animated characters in Japan's projection of itself — in addition to Mario, Japan's athletes were joined by Pac-Man, Hello Kitty, and the aforementioned Doraemon.

Pretty sad that Satoru Iwata wouldn't be alive to see it open. All our hearts break a bit :(.

* EDIT (19/10/2016): I was just reading a new grand retrospective about the PC HD remaster of the never-localized PSX game The Silver Case and I found some stunning answers to questions from the game's developer Goichi Suda (Suda51) like so:
Quote:
Q: Are you looking forward to the Tokyo Olympics?
A: ...
Hopefully she’ll be able to do a lot of good not just for Tokyo, but help make the Olympics a lot better than they probably would’ve been without her. One thing I want to say is that Prime Minister [Shinzo] Abe coming out of the warp pipe at the Brazil closing ceremonies? That shouldn’t have been him. It should’ve been [Nintendo's Shigeru] Miyamoto instead.

What chutzpah!

Last edited by ObiKKa on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:56 am 

Oh, saw this on the Youtube front-page luckily enough. From the great Youtube channel 'DidYouKnowGaming?', whom I've just mentioned at the Shin Megami Tensei series thread over at the RPG sub-forum (I think) has been making many retrospective videos on JRPGs from the SNES era and other consoles among other genres of games.

Satoru Iwata: CEO, Game Developer, Gamer - Did You Know Gaming? Feat. Furst (Oct 15, 2016. It's over 19 minutes long.)