Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reproduction Carts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 pm 

Hi all,
This is likely old news to everyone but there are quite a few sites dedicated to producing reproduction carts of NES and SNES games. Some are of famous romhacks but quite a few are of translation projects that we've done over the years. I've seen my work on Sweet Home all over and even my more obscure Adventures of Musashi. On the one hand I think it's pretty cool that folks have figured out how to put these projects onto carts to be played on original systems (or clone devices) nowadays. I'd love to see my work in a physical cart. On the other, I'm not so keen (but not really bent out of shape) on folks making money off of essentially labors of love. When these translations are done, I don't imagine any of us sought/seek or expected to make any profits. They were meant to be freely available. I even recall some patches stating "Not for Sale" quite explicitly on splash and title screens.

So I'm curious what everyone else's take on repro carts are? Not really committed either way but it's been something I've been thinking about.

Post subject: Re: Reproduction Carts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:38 am 

I don't like it.
In addition to people profiting off my/others work, they're also destroying original carts to possibly put a buggy translation on there.
(like I know Deep Dungeon IV repros are likely using the old Dragoon-X translations. It was definitely buggy and I've heard those bugs actually prevented the game from being completable.
Though I haven't personally verified that, only releasing an unaffiliated translation of that game myself.)

When it's only a ROM patch, someone can fix it if game-stopping bugs turn up, but with an actual cart, it's stuck that way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:54 am 
Site Admin

I don't like it either... I tried to shut down one site, but the owner just moved his server to HongKong. In HK they don't have any kind of copyright law that would fit for this specific violation, so when I contacted the host, they wouldn't take down the site. However, if the owner of the actual game (ie. SquareEnix) were to contact the host, then all would be taken down.

Sadly, however, I feel that the site would then just move on to a server in another country, and the annoying process would start all over again. Although Byuu would kill me for saying this, it's almost tempting enough to make the game unplayable on real hardware just to thwart these jerks making money off of our years of hard work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, we've tried but its just fighting a losing battle. Not that this is the only place people make money off of our work, there are a number of ways it happens. People will do it though, because they think there is nothing like holding a real cart in their hands. If there wasn't a demand, there wouldn't be a site to sell them. And obviously the owners don't care cause they don't even bother responding to requests to remove the offering of the carts you've worked on.