Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A few future project recommendations
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:26 pm 

Recca wrote:
There's an interesting thing about Ryuu Knight which I just recently noticed. When playing the game using Zsnes, the game will freeze after beating certain mini-bosses in caves where a new passage is supposed to appear (after the battle). Snes9x doesn't seem to have this problem though. I wonder, if this game were to be translated, could the Zsnes mini-boss freeze bug be fixed? It is a popular Snes emulator as well as my favorite one. Though I am jumping the gun a bit here, this was just meant as a future suggestion if this game ever gets picked up anyone. It reminds me a bit of that annoying last boss freeze point in our current version of Burning Heroes...

As much as Zsnes set the bar high in Snes emulation back in the day,
we know it has problems with accurate emulation in a lot of instances, some more important, some less.

Timing sensitive games like Star Ocean and Actraiser 2 will invite disaster when played on Zsnes, and other games like Seiken Densetsu 3 show that the hi-res mode isn't completely implemented (don't get me wrong, I love Zsnes, and I'd love to see it
brought on par to the likes of BSnes, Snes9x and SnesGT in accuracy; Zsnes was my second emulator ever, I remember having lots of fun play Megaman 7, Chrono Trigger and Terrainigma in it, although its problems showed even back then (some versions crashed when time travelling).

I can do some small testing at some point with Ryuu Knight to satisfy your curiosity Recca.
By the way, could you supply me an end boss save for Burning Heroes so I can check something?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hm, I don't remember ever having problems with Zsnes when it came to Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3 or Actrasier 2. Then again, it might also depend on the current version of Zsnes that is being used. I do remember there being a minor music bug in Star Ocean that messed up the music a bit from time to time if you fast-forwarded the game too much, but that's easily fixed by leaving the screen to one with another theme, then coming back on to the original one. Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem - Mystery of the Emblem also had some problems where certain screens wouldn't display correctly in Zsnes, but worked otherwise fine in Snes9x.

By the way, I sent you a Burning Heroes .zst save state at the end of the last boss fight with Ryuu along with a .srm save point with the four initial characters right before the final boss in the last dungeon. As for Ryuu Knight, if you would like to check it out, that would be great, but there's no rush. It's probably better to leave it until either us or someone else picks it up. I'm not sure why the game freezes in Zsnes right after defeating certain mini-bosses in caves when a new path is supposed to appear... If you like, I could get a .zst save.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:58 pm 

The bug in SO isn't minor at all actually, and even normal gameplay in Zsnes seems to cause it, the music will stop and soon after the game will come to a full halt.
Thanks for the BH save by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:27 am 
Site Admin

An Update on Ryu Knight. This game's engine is pretty much the same as both Aretha games.
Scripting engine, Auto Pointer system, etc... Not too sure about the game though.

On a side note, why is there so much dislike for "The Last Battle"? The game LOOKS
cool but I do believe the character's movement is a bit on the slow side. Other than that
it seem to be a cool game. Maybe SOME ONE will do it...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:39 pm 

Here's a game i would like to see translated someday:

Arabian Nights: Sabaku no Seirei Ou

At first sight, this game looks pretty in term of graphic for the SNES. Plus, for people who already played it, and can read JAP -_- , the critics says that it is one gem on the SNES. Thus, the battle system is inovative (for a SNES RPG). It's like a card turn-on-turn (apparently to Baiten Kaitos on GC :D ).

I know that a group of translators already began this project a few years ago, but it likely dead today. I think that the group dissolve or something...

Anyway, i hope that DD would make this game in English someday :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:04 am 
Site Admin

Butz wrote:

I've noticed this game before now that you mention it. It's beautiful looking. Looks like it's SRPG style too. Seems pretty awesome. :) I'm hemorrhaging untranslated scripts right now though so I can't offer to translate. Definitely intrigued though.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:50 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Butz wrote:

I've noticed this game before now that you mention it. It's beautiful looking. Looks like it's SRPG style too. Seems pretty awesome. :) I'm hemorrhaging untranslated scripts right now though so I can't offer to translate. Definitely intrigued though.
Heh, heh, Filler... We all need to back off and catch our breath occasionally, so don't allow this potential deluge of bloodletting to crush you under an untenable weight of a smothering red liquid. FYI, however, an unofficial consensual impetus in the core roster is rather building toward the embryonic concept of catching A-I up to A-II!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:27 am 

I'm the poor unfortunate fellow who's stuck with a basically translated script and complete, but buggy ROM. It's just a matter of finding the right people who haven't come along yet. But Arabian Nights is a fantastic game with plenty of charm and great quality all around.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:29 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
I'm the poor unfortunate fellow who's stuck with a basically translated script and complete, but buggy ROM. It's just a matter of finding the right people who haven't come along yet. But Arabian Nights is a fantastic game with plenty of charm and great quality all around.

I recall someone ( you maybe ) asking about the title screen hack of this game.
I remember looking at the code and crying at the structured used for the title page.
Maybe it wasn't that bad but I do remember ugly! :)

BTW, What's left in the game to be done?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:26 am 

Definitely that title screen needs to be done. I have a decomp/recomp for it that is buggy, but without the source, it's quite useless I think.

Probably a bunch of little things, but the major thing is a new insertion system. Nightcrawler said it probably uses command block type text blocks that run it's own scripting language, but this is what the output looks like.

<block nr="1" offset="$D603AF" blockname="Efreet gets sealed">
<pointer nr="0" value="0000" offset="$0049">
Uagh!!<textContinue/>
<textend/>
</pointer>
<pointer nr="1" value="000E" offset="$0062">
A dream...<textContinue/>
<textend/>
</pointer>
<pointer nr="2" value="001D" offset="$0078">
Oh, #1.<newline/>
You are awake.<textContinue/>