Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A few future project recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Originally, I wanted to save this until after a few projects were completed such as Burning Heroes and Chaos Seed, but I thought that I might as well mention them now for consideration before I forgot what they were. Anyways, if these will be accepted sometime in the future, I'll of course be happy to work on the project teams as both a translator and alpha/beta-testers.

Recommended RPGs:

- Haou Taikei Ryuu Knight (also called Road of the Paladin - Ryuu Knight): A great non-linear Snes RPG made after an anime series called "Lord of Lords - Ryuu Knight". This game was made by the same company that made Rejoice - Aretha Oukoku no Kanata (the same game that is currently being worked on by AGTP). Great game play, characters, music and graphics. It also features two unique battle systems. One is the classic Secret of Mana or Zelda style action battles which make up most of the game against normal enemies and mini-boss battles. The second system is also an action type where you fight in your Ryuu (a large mecha) against bosses (in which you see the back of your armored machine and can only walk left or right while blocking with your shield and slashing with your sword; it's a little hard to explain). For more info, see this walkthrough:
http://alexandria.rpgclassics.com/SNES/ryuknight/ryuknight_1.txt

- Shining Force Gaiden: The first game of the three Shining Force Gaiden series games for the Game Gear. The second had an official translation and the third had been translated by Shining Force Central, leaving only the first one untranslated. There's been a remake of the first two called "Shining Force CD", but the game play and story are quite a bit different than the original. Not to mention that it's over 86+ MBs! The three original Game Gear ones are only a couple of KBs each. I don't even think that the three of them together make up 1 MB... Anyways, it's a nice game which I think deserves a proper translation. And it's not that big either, it is a Game Gear game after all which are all pretty small. Translating this first one would mean that all three would be playable in English.

Other games of interest:

- Dodge Ball - Kuy Kid: A nice sport game for the Gens featuring a story mode and 1P VS 2P or CPU. Quite fun and enjoyable. Like the other games mentioned here, it also has great anime style graphics and wonderful music. Each team has seven members, each with their own special attack which can only be used when charged up fully (when jumping and throwing the ball; this is done by holding the A button until the ball turns white then quickly releasing it). Each team also has a unique special team attack which can only be used three times when four team members are on the front field. Like all dodge ball games, passing, catching and dodging (by crouching or jumping over the ball) is possible. I'm not sure, but I think that this game is also made after an anime series...

- Hyper Iria: A Snes game made after an anime called "Iria". It's an interesting side scrolling game featuring two battles modes (one in dungeons and other on the field in air). The game play is great allowing the player to purchase different weapons and other equipment with money collected after missions. It's very upbeat and has a lot of different combat maneuvers that can be utilized, sort of like a ninja with modern and sci-fi equipment. Not just with weapons, but also in melee combat.

These four games are not currently being worked on by any person or group and nor do they have any type of English translation (complete nor partial). The only good info I could find was the walkthrough of Ryuu Knight at rpgclassics.com. I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure that there's some good game play videos at youtube as well as some info at gamefaqs.com or other sites about them. I don't mean to rush things, for now, let's focus on the current projects before taking on any of these ones. Whew, well that's about it. I really enjoy working with you all here at D-D and would like to continue to do so. Thanks for the consideraton and time. You guys are great!

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Last edited by Recca on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: A few future project recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:13 am 

Coincidentally, Recca, I agree with you that SF Gaiden 1 deserves a translation in its platform of origin. I've had this idea for a long time now, and even tried to work with it as a side project, but the programming side of things makes as much sense to me as quantum physics, so it didn't go forward.
To add to that, SFG2, although officially translated could use some rebalancing
(Spell casters are overpowered, and it seems to be a programming oversight), so it would be cool if we could tweak that bit as well.
I played Final Conflict for quite a bit and SF Central did a great job with their patch, not to mention the games look very good considering its GG.

As for the other games you suggested, I honestly never heard of any of them, but I'll take a look and see what I learn of them.
That's just my input, of course, let's see what the rest of the gang thinks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Originally, I wanted to save this until after a few projects were completed such as Burning Heroes and Chaos Seed, but I thought that I might as well mention them now for consideration before I forgot what they were. Anyways, if these will be accepted sometime in the future, I'll of course be happy to work on the project teams as both a translator and alpha/beta-testers.

How would you feel about coordinating the full production of a specific new game, such as overseeing insertions, formatting English, debugging game play, and liaison with other teammates: additional translator(s), assembly tools coder, etc. - especially with a game such as Road of the Paladin - Ryuu Knight .

Recca wrote:
Recommended RPGs:

- Haou Taikei Ryuu Knight (also called Road of the Paladin - Ryuu Knight): A great non-linear Snes RPG made after an anime series called "Lord of Lords - Ryuu Knight". This game was made by the same company that made Rejoice - Aretha Oukoku no Kanata (the same game that is currently being worked on by AGTP). Great game play, characters, music and graphics. It also features two unique battle systems. One is the classic Secret of Mana or Zelda style action battles which make up most of the game against normal enemies and mini-boss battles. The second system is also an action type where you fight in your Ryuu (a large mecha) against bosses (in which you see the back of your armored machine and can only walk left or right while blocking with your shield and slashing with your sword; it's a little hard to explain). For more info, see this walkthrough:

This one looks like a possibility, but I would need to load the game and play a bit of it first before expressing a more detailed opinion.

Recca wrote:
- Shining Force Gaiden: The first game of the three Shining Force Gaiden series games for the Game Gear. The second had an official translation and the third had been translated by Shining Force Central, leaving only the first one untranslated. There's been a remake of the first two called "Shining Force CD", but the game play and story are quite a bit different than the original. Not to mention that it's over 86+ MBs! The three original Game Gear ones are only a couple of KBs each. I don't even think that the three of them together make up 1 MB... Anyways, it's a nice game which I think deserves a proper translation. And it's not that big either, it is a Game Gear game after all which are all pretty small. Translating this first one would mean that all three would be playable in English.

Definitely would like to see this one done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:11 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Recca wrote:

How would you feel about coordinating the full production of a specific new game, such as overseeing insertions, formatting English, debugging game play, and liaison with other teammates: additional translator(s), assembly tools coder, etc. - especially with a game such as Road of the Paladin - Ryuu Knight .

Recca wrote:
Recommended RPGs:

This one looks like a possibility, but I would need to load the game and play a bit of it first before expressing a more detailed opinion.

Recca wrote:

Definitely would like to see this one done.

If Im not mistaken. Gideon is doing that game... I could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:40 am 
Site Admin

`Bongo wrote:
If Im not mistaken. Gideon is doing that game... I could be wrong though.

None of the four games which I mentioned above are currently being worked on by any person or group to my knowledge.
Wildbill wrote:
How would you feel about coordinating the full production of a specific new game, such as overseeing insertions, formatting English, debugging game play, and liaison with other teammates: additional translator(s), assembly tools coder, etc. - especially with a game such as Road of the Paladin - Ryuu Knight.

Well, I am well acquainted with the games which I've recommended as possible future projects for D-D. I would certainly like to help out, but I'm not sure how good of a coordinator I'd be... You've always seemed like the team leader Wildbill. Like I said, I think that I would function best as a (support) translator and alpha/beta-tester. Of course, I could also work on polishing the script to better represent the characters' personality and story line along with the main translator(s). I guess we'll see what we'll decided upon latter on.

I see that early support is going towards Shining Force Gaiden. Perhaps this should be our next new project after we get some current translations completed and released such as Burning Heroes and Chaos Seed. By the way, if you guys could help me host my Romanian translation of Chrono Trigger, that would be swell. At least until I can link to RHDN and get it approved. There's no rush of course.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:49 am 

Recca wrote:
Well, I am well acquainted with the games which I've recommended as possible future projects for D-D. I would certainly like to help out, but I'm not sure how good of a coordinator I'd be... You've always seemed like the team leader Wildbill. Like I said, I think would be best as a (support) translator and alpha/beta-tester. Of course, I could also work on polishing the script to better represent the characters' personality and story line along with the main translator(s). I guess we'll see what we'll decided upon latter on.

Considering what I've seen so far of past experiences, I think you'd be ok even as a Coordinator, Recca. I understand project coordination can be a lot to take on at first, but once everything is appropriately set, its more a matter of letting the workflow do the trick. That said, you know we at D-D don't necessarily adhere to structures and paradigms set in stone;
rather, there is a level of buyoancy to the whole creative process, it is the combined effort that brings things to light.

Recca wrote:
I see that early support is going towards Shining Force Gaiden.

I'm in favor of that, even if its a bit biased as I'm both a SF and a SRPG fan.
Sega did very little to please their Shining Force fanbase over the years, and it
would be cool to help undo that injustice, much like SF Central has for years.

Recca wrote:
By the way, if you guys could help me host my Romanian translation of Chrono Trigger, that would be swell. At least until I can link to RHDN and get it approved. There's no rush.

I think that's a great idea, plus, it can very well be the kick start we need for the whole multi-language translations eventual implementation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:13 pm 

I'm not working on Ryu Knight, no. I suppose I might be able to, given that it's basically the same engine as Rejoice, but I don't really have the time or energy for it.

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:51 am 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
I'm not working on Ryu Knight, no. I suppose I might be able to, given that it's basically the same engine as Rejoice, but I don't really have the time or energy for it.

Maybe it was Rejoice I was thinking of then. Yeah, Yonoman is the developer if I'm not mistaken.
They did FEDA as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:56 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:

Maybe it was Rejoice I was thinking of then. Yeah, Yonoman is the developer if I'm not mistaken.
They did FEDA as well.
From Gamefaqs: Haou Taikei: Ryu Knight is a Role-Playing game, developed by Japan Art Media (JAM) and published by Bandai, which was released in Japan in 1994.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

There's an interesting thing about Ryuu Knight which I just recently noticed. When playing the game using Zsnes, the game will freeze after beating certain mini-bosses in caves where a new passage is supposed to appear (after the battle). Snes9x doesn't seem to have this problem though. I wonder, if this game were to be translated, could the Zsnes mini-boss freeze bug be fixed? It is a popular Snes emulator as well as my favorite one. Though I am jumping the gun a bit here, this was just meant as a future suggestion if this game ever gets picked up anyone. It reminds me a bit of that annoying last boss freeze point in our current version of Burning Heroes...