Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NDS or PSP: Which Is Better?
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:01 pm 

Different places, different realities. If you knew what its like to live with 35% taxation on everything but the air you breathe, you'd know what I'm talking about.
You think I wouldn't like to have both the DS and PSP and both the 360 and PS3? of course I would, but with this much taxing its impossible to keep a game library up to date without resorting to dodgy solutions.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:10 pm 

I never said I was a U.S citizen mind you, I'm brazilian, something that doesn't make me happy in the least.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:11 am 

Now that's downright inhuman, but then, sadly the situation of most of Africa is far from comfortable except for a few small pockets of richness here and there, and said richness is in the hands of few anyhow.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:07 am 

Personally I think the NDS has a better selection of games while the PSP system for me is funner for me to play on. I never really cared about the touch or dual screens, I just prefer the standard set of buttons. That being said, most of my DS games don't require a stylus and I probably have over 1,000 hours on my DS over 3 years while I only have about 60 hours on my PSP in half a year.

Has anybody played both Final Fantasy 4s on the 2 systems? I know the PSP version is supposed to have all that bonus material but I've been kind of disappointed with the RPG Maker look. I also miss the voice work of the DS game and I think the writing was better in that game too.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:48 pm 

ultpaladin wrote:
Personally I think the NDS has a better selection of games while the PSP system for me is funner for me to play on. I never really cared about the touch or dual screens, I just prefer the standard set of buttons. That being said, most of my DS games don't require a stylus and I probably have over 1,000 hours on my DS over 3 years while I only have about 60 hours on my PSP in half a year.

Has anybody played both Final Fantasy 4s on the 2 systems? I know the PSP version is supposed to have all that bonus material but I've been kind of disappointed with the RPG Maker look. I also miss the voice work of the DS game and I think the writing was better in that game too.

As a rule of thumb, the DS ports of FF games were decent, but I can't stand the art style approach they took with the character's looks and proportions, especially in FF3DS - the orphans look like their heads are about to blow up, and the problem doesn't get any less worse in FF4HOL, same art style.

To add, I always thought the "Dawn Of Souls" compilation for the GBA should have included FF3 as well, that would have been amazing. I can't say for the PSP games gameplay wise, but I agree with the graphics approach, keep it spritely, do it right.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:51 am 
Site Admin

Master Chen wrote:
Red Soul wrote:
the problem doesn't get any less worse in FF4HOL, same art style.

Actually it gets waaaay better. NDS FF III looks nowhere close to look like the FF IX, but NDS FF IV looks almost exactly like FF IX (and even though I didn't like FF IX as a whole game, because of it's shortness and some bad realizations of nice ideas, I still liked art direction and design approaches very much, especially what goes to overall graphics), which is very very good.
What's there that should be understood, is that: NDS FF IV has SIMILAR art style to the NDS FF III, but NOT EXACTLY THE SAME, because it's closer to original FF IX than to the NDS FF III, art style in NDS FF IV has almost nothing to do with the NDS FF III art direction, and that is a very good thing..
I hated NDS FF III very much in pretty much everything that was there in this piece of sh*t, especially graphical approach...but NDS FF IV is a whole different story, at least for me.
Well, I guess I'll stop just at that, I don't want to talk about NDS FF III no more, because every time when I type those unholy ugly numbers (III) and write "NDS" near them, I always remember about this pile of oozing CRAP and shudder.
My favorite FF game is #5, Has anyone done anything with it since the SFC patch besides the PSx "Anthology" version?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:38 am 

Don't think so Bill, but I'd say the GBA port of FF5 is solid enough if you want an updated, fresher experience with the game.
I really like the port (as I do like the other FF GBA ports) except dialogues have face graphics, and personally I hate Amano's drawings (he was the chief artist in all FF's prior to 7), since they look like a weird mix of Ukyo-e and gothic drawings, just plain weird.
Anyway the GBA port has exclusive job classes as well as items and a challenge dungeon added, so its all a pretty nice package.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:08 pm 

Of course I meant that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:17 am 

Those systems are both very different from each other, you'll be getting a different experience from them.
Lately, I've been playing the PSP non-stop due to the emulators you can get for it. Although, I haven't actually played an actual PSP game yet. Though I'm keeping a close eye on Hexyz Force, it looks pretty interesting. :lol:

I've been playing the DS for so many years now, there isn't much for me to play on that system anymore. :lol:

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:43 am 
Site Admin

Zetshiro wrote:
Those systems are both very different from each other, you'll be getting a different experience from them.
Lately, I've been playing the PSP non-stop due to the emulators you can get for it. Although, I haven't actually played an actual PSP game yet. Though I'm keeping a close eye on Hexyz Force, it looks pretty interesting. :lol:

I've been playing the DS for so many years now, there isn't much for me to play on that system anymore. :lol:

Sadly, Hexyz Force wasn't so great. I am not saying not to play it however, as there was some fun to be had playing it. However, you play at least half the game with just 2 characters. By the time the rest of your team starts coming in, it is almost too late to really do much story with them. And that leads to a second problem, length. The game is way too short and rushed. Sadly, it could have been a great game, especially considering it was another harem RPG. It was fun though, I just wouldn't consider it a great game. Very mediocre when it was over.

Might I suggest you try Legend of Heroes: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch. This one has a better story IMO than Hexyz Force and the system was just as fun all around. The game was longer and visually it was absolutely beautiful for a handheld game. You should also try the other Legend of Heroes games as well.