Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next
Post subject: Re: What games are you currently playing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:52 am 
Wildbill wrote:
... If anyone knows a quick way to deal with the ?Kopins in the SPAs (Silver Magic users), I'm all ears ...

There are items you earn from quests that do 100 damage, 200 damage, etc.
They do their full damage to that annoying silver kopins.

About the games I'm playing now, they're:

Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard-NDS
I'm on the Fourth Stratum(Petal Bridge), doing quests and having problems beating those Voltkings.

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones-PS2
Just beat it on Easy mode, now am playing in Normal mode.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:02 pm 

Red Soul wrote:
Pokemon games are deceivingly complex (although the technicalities behind Snap are a little more general like centering, focus and posing) but don't think for a second the mainstream pokemon games are really meant for the kiddies as the box fronts say - kids hardly have the attention span, the foreplanning and patience necessary to raise a pokemon properly.

Hahaha, yeah, they'll let any unprepared kid take on a pokemon these days, but do they have the maturity to take care of it propperly? Do they REALLY wanna be a master? :lol: Usually I would go more for RPGs that tend towards the story side of things, but Pokemon was a good fun game that, as you say, appealed to the micro manager in us all. Never did raise a tourment worthy pokemon myself though... and when they started to introduce huge numbers of new pokemon I got left behind a bit (glad they added the option to have the main character as a girl though!) But I'll still crack out yellow every now and then for old times sake.

Oh, and I have decided that, while pokemon snap is fun, I would far rather play a game that requires less hand-eye coordination (of which i have very little.)

Red Soul wrote:
you'll certainly enjoy Mystic Ark, be ready to be hooked into it for some good 50 hours if you intend to play it to the finish; having tested it extensively, I can say its a game that will grow on you and take you by storm, you won't be disappointed.

The concept art and realization looks beautiful, and I'd really love to play it, but I'm having trouble getting the patch to work (But I will get there. I am determined.)
taskforce wrote:
Well, wish I could second that Red Soul but after world 3 there was no hope left of me finishing that game. I'm sorry but Mystic Ark IMO is a game that was best left on eastern shores. But hey, I'm only posting this to prove that we members are not above speaking our mind about our own group projects. Not everything we touch is gold in everone's eyes. If it isn't for you. Don't be ashamed to say that it is not.

Oh and I've played my share of Pokemon Snap. I'm not ashamed to admit it. However, I'm not really a big Pokemon fan though either. The original games had some charm but it was long since lost in all the sequels. And there is pretty much no redeeming qualities by this point. They need some kind of major innovation and not just the same rehashed game soon, but as long as it sells, that just won't happen. Maybe a deeper plot would be a start.

what? Embracing other peoples tastes and opinions? but this is the internet! ;) You know, it is so refreshing to have people share their (conflicting) opinions without it getting personal. Heres to being (a little bit) grown up! And games!

http://hollytron.etsy.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Lalakoboldslayer wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
... If anyone knows a quick way to deal with the ?Kopins in the SPAs (Silver Magic users), I'm all ears ...

There are items you earn from quests that do 100 damage, 200 damage, etc.
They do their full damage to that annoying silver kopins.

Appreciate the tips. I finally got through them night before last. I got strong enough to find a few FDs that worked. I set Althea back a distance with regen charms and let her resurrect those who kept getting knocked off, then she was useless against the remaining Fire Kopins, hee-hee...! Last night I snuffed Vanessa for the second time. I can't seem to find any more spa's after cleaning out Pearl Park's hoodlums, so I'm in Chapter 29 now, fixing to enter the wormhole. If I have to fight the Shadow Frost Witch and that stupid cat one more time, I'm gonna banish them to Luminous Arc-III. They simply won't stay put on the team!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:48 am 

I could never get into the Pokemon games although oddly enough I did get into some of the Dragon Quest Monster games, specifically DQM2 and DQM: Caravan Hearts for the GBA. I think I prefer the fact that you have 3 or more monsters fighting at one time instead of one like many of the Pokemon games are like. Also, I just like using the DQ monsters that I have seen in so many games in the main series.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:03 am 

I guess its a case of comfort zone there, it makes sense that, you being a big DQ fan, prefer even the spinoffs that draw on it.
I'd rather stick to the mainstream DQ games though and leave monster handling to pokemon games.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:02 am 

Just a small tidibit. I decided to try a RPG called Black Sigil for the DS.
Its not sparkling new but I had it sitting around for a while so I decided to give it a go.
Battles play a lot like Chrono Trigger and the game is fully rendered in sprites and tiles so it was of great appeal to me.
The music score is excelent too, but perhaps the most amazing thing is the fact it looks and feels like a JRPG
from the Snes era but the devs aren't japanese.

A word of forewarning, this is Graffiti Games's first game ever, so its far from perfect.
Specifically, the plot is a little cliche'd and the encounter rate can be annoying, but other than that I think its a great game.
Anyway I'm not posting this to give a mini-review, just warn whoever decides to try it that parts of the coding are flaky,
and the game has the habit to crash (I wasted a considerable ammount of time due to this).
However I seem to have remedied this changing the in game settings as follows:

Dialogue Speed: 6
Battle Speed: 6
Battle Text Speed: 6
Battle Style: Wait

A funny fact: the developers claimed original carts would never freeze and the lockups were an anti-piracy measure.
This has largely been proven false with a large number of devolutions mere few days after the game's release;
what can one say? even sloppy programmers can be wily enough to try and transfer the blame to something other
than themselves. Haha funny people.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:55 am 
Site Admin

I was playing that game up until it froze on me and erased my only save... I was pretty angry and haven't touched it since. It was a really nice game except for the INSANE encounter rate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:07 pm 

The settings above seemed to stabilize the game.
I've had an insane number of fights without any crashes, nor I had world map crashes since.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:45 am 

I am playing Mystic Ark and Dungeon Fighter Online (DFO). I absolutly love Mystic Ark and I'm only to the second world so far. I'll say more about it in the Mystic Ark forum. But for now I will say it has exceeded my expectations, which were high to begin with.
Dungeon Fighter Online is a fantastic little gem of a game. Running on (what seems to me) 16 bit graphics you play one of 5 classes of fighters ( I think 7 classes in Japan and Korea) whom run around killing baddies. It is a side scroller brawler type of game with elements of MMORPGs. You can solo or group with up to three other players. There is absolutly fabulous art work, the music is very good...for a simple game. What really has pulled me into playing is the game play itself. Execelent! Even without the MMO aspact of it, I would have just as much fun as if it were one player only. There is a story to it in the form of manga type cutscenes...so I've read though I have not seen them myself, nor has others who play the American version. The American version is far behind it's counterparts in the east, from which the DFO was concived. Sucks for me. The company Nexon hosts the game. I am not trying to endorse Nexon on this forums, only giving you as much info as I can think of for a game I think you may like. Though I am not as presumptious to think I know what you like.
I was previously playing the 7th Saga for the fiftyith time...but was lucky enough to find Mystic Ark. As I write this post, I am coming to the conclusion that I'm not even playing DFO anymore, it's Mystic Ark all the way. Thank you once again Dynamic Designs. The fruits of your labours do not go un-appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:09 am 

Its great to have someone as enthusiastic and energetic roaming our forums, Jer!
Thanks for helping keep everyone's disposition batteries wired.
Mystic Ark was indeed a great endeavor, but seeing people like you, that understand the
love and attention we put into every detail and the ammount of effort put into the game,
all said work becomes justified and is greatly rewarded.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next