Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RPG Maker and DD community's game project?
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:19 am 

Some of you probably read THIS topic and there we were talking about this program(RPG Maker).
Well, since Bongo` is dealing with his personal troubles and DD is slowing down a little, I came up with idea to create some original story(game) with this game editor. Remeber it's JUST an idea and I want to know what you all think about it!
First of all we need some story and here Wildbill would come in handy. We could use him to write some fancy story(of course everyone could add something to the story). There should be one person too for planning game. I mean to plan every locations, monster, items and so on... even world map(but not every town,dungeon map)... and even dialogues. In other world the best thing is first to make something like director's script(if you know what I mean - like in movies). Of course many RM users don't do that, but then games are poor.
I could take care of cutscenes, mapping, and some other scripts for game need. Of course everyone can do mapping too(more peops for that means faster progress) and other things.
If about battle system there could be something like Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy Legend like(rm2k) or Final Fantasy VI like(rm2k3). There is other option too, I mean to script custom battle system. For example here is my ABS which I scripted few months ago:
ABS are still very stiffy and they need a lot of time to make them because every single monster need few(even 10+) own variables. If about customs it's better to do classical battle system.
Resources. Graphic can be easy found on the internet or ripped from the games if the platform is SNES,GBA, or PSX. The same with music(midi is just enough). Sound effect are easy to found too because there's plenty sites with such effect.
Don't know what else to say and remember, it's JUST an idea!
=)

ps. If this sux I'm open to try some project with only one person.

Post subject: Re: RPG Maker and DD community's game project?
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

kvachu wrote:
Some of you probably read THIS topic and there we were talking about this program(RPG Maker).
Well, since Bongo` is dealing with his personal troubles and DD is slowing down a little, I came up with idea to create some original story(game) with this game editor. Remeber it's JUST an idea and I want to know what you all think about it!
First of all we need some story and here Wildbill would come in handy. We could use him to write some fancy story(of course everyone could add something to the story). There should be one person too for planning game. I mean to plan every locations, monster, items and so on... even world map(but not every town,dungeon map)... and even dialogues. In other world the best thing is first to make something like director's script(if you know what I mean - like in movies). Of course many RM users don't do that, but then games are poor.
I could take care of cutscenes, mapping, and some other scripts for game need. Of course everyone can do mapping too(more peops for that means faster progress) and other things.
If about battle system there could be something like Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy Legend like(rm2k) or Final Fantasy VI like(rm2k3). There is other option too, I mean to script custom battle system. For example here is my ABS which I scripted few months ago:
ABS are still very stiffy and they need a lot of time to make them because every single monster need few(even 10+) own variables. If about customs it's better to do classical battle system.
Resources. Graphic can be easy found on the internet or ripped from the games if the platform is SNES,GBA, or PSX. The same with music(midi is just enough). Sound effect are easy to found too because there's plenty sites with such effect.
Don't know what else to say and remember, it's JUST an idea!
=)

ps. If this sux I'm open to try some project with only one person.
I'm always open to discussing any idea. Writing is what I do, and to embark upon such a project I would need a shell of the game - complete with music and sound effects. I would also want the team to develop a game premise, a basic plot, and provide a scenario-by-scenario outline - along with lists of fighters, supporting cast, NPCs, foes, and bosses.

I would then build a raw first draft of the story into the structure. Next, I would fire it off to Draken, Taskforce, and Red Soul to flesh out the story more and fine-tune the character development. Finally, I would do a complete rewrite, followed by a team edit, beta testing, and release. Lennus-III, anyone?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:52 pm 

Anyone heard of a project by Eidolon's Inn that aims to develop a completely original game using Sega CD hardware? I thought that was a pretty cool idea and the
game seems very reminscent of Lunar and such, very well done.
I guess maybe with time, Kvachu's idea could be our own take of such a project hm?
I worked on RM projects a few times on the past, always had great ideas but I was always barred on the implementation phase
and with no real outside support things usually waned. Still I find it could be fun to try and I'm open to that.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:05 pm 

Red Soul wrote:
I worked on RM projects a few times on the past, always had great ideas but I was always barred on the implementation phase
and with no real outside support things usually waned. Still I find it could be fun to try and I'm open to that.

And that is the problem with RM. It's very hard to do something with it ALONE. Of course I could do some project and a lot of people do, but what are those? Some poor "crystal collecting" and "save the world kick the bad dude" games? With poor plot and everything. But a bigger team with reliable leader can do(I think) something good.
That's why it's still only an idea, because first few guys have to really want to work together.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

kvachu wrote:
Red Soul wrote:

And that is the problem with RM. It's very hard to do something with it ALONE. Of course I could do some project and a lot of people do, but what are those? Some poor "crystal collecting" and "save the world kick the bad dude" games? With poor plot and everything. But a bigger team with reliable leader can do(I think) something good.
That's why it's still only an idea, because first few guys have to really want to work together.
Of all of the stories ever written in the world, a (fiction) writing college professor I turn to for definitive guidance regarding the craft of professional writing has stated something along the lines of the following: Only about three dozen basic plots exist. Everything written either follows or is a variation of these plots.

A story begins with a viewpoint character being introduced in the first paragraph of Chapter 1. In that same paragraph (two paragraphs, at most), the viewpoint character undergoes an experience that changes the status quo of his life. The author introduces a problem that makes the reader feel uncomfortable. The resolution of the problem is obvious after that first paragraph, and the story must conclude with that obvious resolution. The story has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Those segments should be written from an outline. As the story progresses, the viewpoint character will appear to suffer irreversible setbacks and obstacles that propel him further from the obvious resolution, when, in fact, he is making steady progress. This is the basic "trick" of professional fiction writing.

A world-threatening event - thwarted by an unlikely hero who is thrust into a life altering situation by fate and must succeed against impossible odds - is one of those basic plots and probably the grist of 99% of the RPGs out there. We can laugh and roll our eyes at that most basic plot, yet we are only belittling ourselves, because that is the very plot that drew all of us into this genre.

This is why I would want a committee to draft a premise, plot with an outline, and a flow chart of players.

Let me define premise: If using the basic RPG plot above, one premise is that a lad of modest means could emerge from the woodcutter's shack in the forest and somehow master weaponry, sorcery, leadership skills, military tactics, and global strategy to defeat an evil inter-stellar foe that is capable of destroying the whole universe. Whether the lad is descended from aliens and possesses undeveloped sentient super powers or is the cast off progeny of a pre-eminent warrior king who is frozen inside a block of ice is merely a detail.

And whether the adventurer collects crystals, runes, or eight scattered pieces of a previous monolithic-planetary-oxygenator is also unimportant. Whatever we would choose to call our sub-quest icons, the plot elements should be built around segments of the saga that we clearly identify. Something needs to serve as a central focus that spurs the reader (player) forward. A good sub-plot is to have the hero lose all he's gathered at some point (such as Boozoo and company making Farus collect the Seals twice in Lennus-II). Eight is always a good number for Tolkien-style quest segments because pagan societies were usually fixated on variations of erroneous elements such as fire, water, earth, wind, metal, light, sky (heavenly bodies) and darkness (void).

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:11 pm 

Wildbill, to be honest, your english is a little hard for me =P. But what I understand, you want to start something like Lennus III? That's ok, but why not something new? I mean not followed by any other game. Just asking.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:15 am 
Site Admin

kvachu wrote:
Wildbill, to be honest, your english is a little hard for me =P. But what I understand, you want to start something like Lennus III? That's ok, but why not something new? I mean not followed by any other game. Just asking.
I'm just slinging out generic ideas, using Lennus-II as a baseline. If we were to start such a project, I'll write whatever theme the team wants. I'm sure you understand what I said above instinctively. Once these techniques are successfully employed in an actual story, everything I said would make perfect sense.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:27 am 
Site Admin

Haha. Well if I were going to make an original game. I'd do things a bit differently, I'm just not sure I'd want to air my idea on a public forum for fear of it being stolen by someone and used. It is a VERY unique idea for an RPG.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:23 am 

Wildbill, if we were to start such a project, theme could depends off resources we can use. Of course it's about graphics. I doubt we can have some pixelartist which could sprite for us everything what's needed, so a good thing first is to find game with HEROES graphics. Some RPG Maker users do their stories exactly like that. They look at some complete spritesheet and they make story for those graphic. If we'll create world first and character, there is a small chance that every graphic we'll need, we'll find in one game with one style. We can use graphic from defferent games, but then we can have different styles(graphics) of heroes. But there are people which doesn't care about styles and mix them.

taskforce wrote:
Haha. Well if I were going to make an original game. I'd do things a bit differently, I'm just not sure I'd want to air my idea on a public forum for fear of it being stolen by someone and used. It is a VERY unique idea for an RPG.

And what you'll do with it? Take it to your tomb and bury it there? =P At last you could talk about it with Wildbill because every of us knows that he is trusted person for sure. But of course it's yours and you can do what you want with it =).

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

kvachu wrote:
Wildbill, if we were to start such a project, theme could depends off resources we can use. Of course it's about graphics. I doubt we can have some pixelartist which could sprite for us everything what's needed, so a good thing first is to find game with HEROES graphics. Some RPG Maker users do their stories exactly like that. They look at some complete spritesheet and they make story for those graphic. If we'll create world first and character, there is a small chance that every graphic we'll need, we'll find in one game with one style. We can use graphic from defferent games, but then we can have different styles(graphics) of heroes. But there are people which doesn't care about styles and mix them.

taskforce wrote:

And what you'll do with it? Take it to your tomb and bury it there? =P At last you could talk about it with Wildbill because every of us knows that he is trusted person for sure. But of course it's yours and you can do what you want with it =).
Whoa, Pal! The sort of teamwork we would need to make this thing fly must start with respect!!

Taskforce is absolutely right. His sketch is unique, as far as I know, and has given me a rough idea for both a premise and a plot. Over the next few days I will be drafting an abstract with his idea and a few of mine added. I will flash it to the core group and see what everyone thinks. If we were to embark upon a original RPG, absolute secrecy would be required by the team because of that uniqueness TF mentioned.