Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Forum mini-game: guess an RPG game by a screenshot!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:22 am 
Site Admin

1986 Odyssey II - K C Munchkin. Got the system and the 2 games used for $20. The other one was the standard Odyssey II cart that came with the Odyssey II. But I played K C first. Then I got an Atari 2600 not long after that and Realsports Football. K C was so much better than Pac Man in every respect. And yes, this was VERY late in these console's life span. However, we were scraping by, just giving $60 for a game system wasn't easy on us then. (The Atari was $59.99 brand new at the time.) Then I got a half broken Nintendo in 1989. And bought a new one in 1991 and an SNES, Genesis and Sega CD too. I've bought Playstation and Dreamcast withen a few months of launch. Probably Saturn too. My sister got a PS2 when it was still $299 and I played hers. Then a certain person around here got a new one and sent me his so I would have my own. Then later I finally got the cash for a $149 slimline v12. I just this last week got a Wii. First next gen console I actually own. Why a Wii over the more fantastic PS3 or 360 you ask? First off, price, (yes the 360 is cheaper but I can borrow those and to buy a used one you don't know what you'll get) and second 4 words. Donkey Kong Country Returns. The ability to softmod is a nice plus too :) Not even opening the console was a plus. There were various other used consoles in there. But I don't remember when I got those along the way. Intellivision, Colecovision ect. Enough babbling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:45 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
I could never get into the Ys series, not sure why, maybe I should give it another chance.

The Ys series is quite interesting in my opinion as they don't all seem to have the same game play. For example, YsIII is more of a platformer (side scrolling) kind of game, where as YsI, II and IV have the more classic top overview RPG look. You brush against the enemy to cause damage from the sides and take damage much in the same way (the enemy brushes against you). Leveling up is easy and takes little time, but standing still means death! Seriously, the enemies will whip you in no time if your standing still! But the good thing about that is when you stand still in an outside area which you'll be in most of the game, you'll recover HP. And that is one of the things that makes the Ys series unique, healing automatically in outdoor areas by standing still.

AGTP is currently working on translating YsV. You should give it a try once they release it. I've played a bit of it in Japanese and I really like what I'm seeing so far. The gameplay is great (kind of like Terranigma), as well as everything else, graphics, music, etc. Yup, this is great news for the SNES. AGTP has YsV and Fire Emblem, and we here at D-D have Burning Heroes, Chaos Seed and Record of Lodoss War. Man, there's going to be some good times ahead of us with these releases!

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:14 am 

Indeed, it sure sounds that way, thanks a lot for the rundown on Ys, Recca.
Speaking of Terrainigma, I'd like to see a remake of that, for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:58 am 

Sure, okay, but this is supposed to be a RPG chit-chat forum area right?
I don't think anyone is going to drop dead because we've strayed off topic a little.

Anyway...uhh...I dunno, is #5 one of those Ultima spinoffs like Stygian Abyss?
taking a wild guess here from the style.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Indeed. A lot of the time actually, the off topic discussions can turn out to be even more interesting then the actual topic itself. That's also one of the reasons why I like D-D so much. Other boards are usually very strict about staying on topic which makes things quite stressing. This place is very friendly and easy going which is nice. :)

As for the game, I really don't know what game the last remaining screen shot is of. I guess the best thing to do is to wait a few more days and if no one gets it right, just tell us what it is then add up the points accordingly.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:42 am 

Recca wrote:
Indeed. A lot of the time actually, the off topic discussions can turn out to be even more interesting then the actual topic itself. That's also one of the reasons why I like D-D so much. Other boards are usually very strict about staying on topic which makes things quite stressing. This place is very friendly and easy going which is nice. :)

I guess while most boards could be compared to a bussiness meeting, and a handful others to a football game,
here at D-D what we have is more like a gathering of friends, a campfire sorta thing,
which is indeed relaxing. Let's hope activity resumes its pace soon.