Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Translation request if possible
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:48 pm 

Can you guys at Dynamic Designs please translate Verne World and retranslate Terranigma? I've contacted Tom the Retro Translator about it and he was going to do it but he quit over the Ganbare Goemon 3 controversy. :( Please reply and let me know if you guys will. I'm desperate here. Please reply. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQprjd-Dz34

Post subject: Re: Translation request if possible
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Since Bongo` has retired, there is little chance we'll be doing either project anytime soon, sorry. Though to be perfectly honest, as for Terranigma, we probably wouldn't even have considered that for a project. For the most part, we preferred to put resources into stuff not already in English. A bad translation is better than no translation at all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

JeffCotten1989 wrote:
I can't stand bad translations. It's prevented me from playing Terranigma :( Can you recommend anybody who can do it? It REALLY bummed out when I found out Tom and DDSTranslations quit.

Honestly, no I can't. Most people are leaving the hacking/translation scene that have been here for years and there is very little new blood flowing into it. And it is quite understandable given the toxicity going on with people that don't contribute jack but think they are entitled and have the right to tell you what to do. Going as far as threatening you when they don't get their way. I wouldn't recommend anyone even get involved with this-what used to be fun but no longer really is-hobby anymore. Now, I'm not pointing a finger at you, so please don't take offense. I'm just saying that is how it is and people in the hobby are fed up with it and are leaving because of it.

Sorry, I think I inadvertently deleted your post, so I quoted it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:57 pm 

taskforce wrote:
JeffCotten1989 wrote:
I can't stand bad translations. It's prevented me from playing Terranigma :( Can you recommend anybody who can do it? It REALLY bummed out when I found out Tom and DDSTranslations quit.

Honestly, no I can't. Most people are leaving the hacking/translation scene that have been here for years and there is very little new blood flowing into it. And it is quite understandable given the toxicity going on with people that don't contribute jack but think they are entitled and have the right to tell you what to do. Going as far as threatening you when they don't get their way. I wouldn't recommend anyone even get involved with this-what used to be fun but no longer really is-hobby anymore. Now, I'm not pointing a finger at you, so please don't take offense. I'm just saying that is how it is and people in the hobby are fed up with it and are leaving because of it.

Sorry, I think I inadvertently deleted your post, so I quoted it.

I've actually deleted it. What you just said really bummed me out. I have autism, OCD, and some other disorders so I get upset somewhat easily so naturally I wasn't happy about what I found out about Tom and what you told me didn't help. He was the only guy I could find that accepted my request. :( I'm sorry. I hope somebody will do it someday. This guy is going to do a retranslation of Terranigma eventually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq8747R97w8&t=4s

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:04 pm 

Sorry, long and tedious rambling incoming. I'm still turning things around about all this Goemon 3 mess, so I'm mostly writing this for myself rather than for anyone else to read it, but I decided to post it anyways, lol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that quitting because of that proto-human scum behaviour, only makes them stronger and more entitled. I understand feeling disgusted by these angry mobs, but that has nothing to do with oneself or the way one performs his/her hobby. As they say, haters gonna hate, no matter what you do. So if some people want to be angry because of a single word that their "Disneyworlded" minds can't accept, it's their problem and theirs alone.

To tell the truth, I have mixed feelings about this recent incident with Goemon 3. As a big fan and supporter of the fantranslation scene for about 20 years now, I take abandoning the scene over reasons like this like a double kick in both the balls and the mouth. For instance, I've been cheering any team or individual involved in translating classic jrpgs, have bitten my tongue every time I grew impatient and was tempted to ask for any project status or updates, have reported any bug found when playing, done publicity in all the places I know whenever a new translation was completed (in fact, many friends nick-named me "the fantranslation evangelist" :D ), etc.

But in the end, all this care to the scene seems to amount to zero when incidents like that of the Goemon 3 occur and the translators end up deciding to quit despite having lots of people who supported them, expressed that they were right and defended them. I know they were doing it for free and nobody can force them to continue if they don't want. But regardless, it makes you feel like if all your efforts to contribute to the scene in one way or another, even if it's only being grateful, making publicity and reporting bugs, had been meaningless in the long run. I don't want to sound ungrateful, simply I'd preferred that Tom and DDS departing from the scene would have been a bit more "natural" (they deciding to end on their own volition rather than pushed by a hateful mob).

In the end, the only thing I've got from this is a renewed motivation to take up the Japanese again as I see that one cannot rely 100% on anyone else apart from oneself.

Last edited by akualung on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:17 pm 

If I was him, I just wouldn't have caved into the pressure. It's a dark day for the translation scene. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

akualung: The good will amounts to something. But for some it just isn't enough. The negative sentaments tend to be relentless. What you have to understand though is the commitment and hours that go into just one simple action or puzzle game translation, let alone an RPG or text heavy game. And then to have people tear that work-which you asked nothing for in return except for maybe a thanks-to pieces because they didn't like one sentence or you used such and such inappropriate word or whatever they want to complain about. It is REALLY deflating. Especially when those people go beyond just criticism. However, don't you dare mention that they should better themselves by learning how to do what we do, and contributing something productive. No, that would actually be useful. If we were charging something, that might be another matter.

Anyway, I should probably wrap up this rant. I will say that so far, nobody has left our group under those circumstances. However, there are those trying to make it happen. I don't blame anyone for leaving any group because of it. You just can't understand how deflating it is until it happens to you. It can cause severe depression, and other health issues. It isn't worth losing your health over something you do to try to make others happy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:54 pm 

I hope Verne World will happen. If you guys ever find a new member or something and get things started back up again, please keep this game in mind. If not, I HOPE somebody will translate it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:29 pm 

Personally, I believe there's still hope that Tom and DDS will just end up working in the shadows, so to speak, but if they do not I can totally understand their decision. Having no social media of any kind is the best way to avoid drama more often than not though, which is why I said what I said. It's too bad also because DDS is one of very few hackers who specialize in Super Famicom. The only major one left (after Bongo's retirement, that is) is Gideon Zhi, and I'm not sure how long he can keep on going (totally understandable, since he's been working on these games forever). We'll see what happens, but I doubt there will be many new SFC hackers with skills and dedication of those 3.

On the bright side, there are some new hackers who seem to be interested in working on CD-based systems, so let's hope we see more translations for those! There's often a silver lining to a story, and at least there's that. I do sincerely believe that we will eventually reach good autotranslation as well (WAY better than the current Retroach tool, I mean), but that will still take many decades most likely, and by then every retro game of note will have been translated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:32 am 
Site Admin

Well, there is another thing with SNES as well. Most RPGs of any real value are either already translated, or a nightmare. For example: Albert Odyssey 1 and 2 has really strong compression topped with a nightmare scripting engine running text. I would not be surprised if those games actually never happen although someone is supposed to be working on them. We did for a while, but it was just too much. The other some what easier games that are left are niche stuff with anime tie ins for shows long gone that weren't popular outside Japan or mediocre games that weren't even popular in Japan for the most part. I wouldn't say there aren't good games in there but nothing with the draw power to get people new into the scene unfortunately. How many people are really clamoring to play Akazukin Cha Cha (besides me.)

This is all my opinion/speculation though. Same for why people are leaving. I can say it is fact that people are getting threatened. Beyond that, I only speculate so please don't assume I speak for others.