Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Translation request if possible
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:22 am 
Site Admin

There's already two programs available that offer automatic translations when playing a game in Japanese, but the accuracy for both is definitely not perfect.

The first is RetroArch. Here's two videos from Youtube that demonstrates it's usage (both text and audio translations):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNBMK71srQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yij_ydE9vd4

The second one is called Wanderbar which allows you to make your own instant translations. It appears to offer some sort of automatic translation and dictionary feature as well. You can read more about it here:
https://legendsoflocalization.com/wanderbar/

Overall, no automatic translation program nor feature yet exists that can replace an actual fluent human speaker. Especially for a more complex language such as Japanese. However, this is still nice to have if no actual translation exists. Such programs will also become more valuable with time as well seeing as how many talented romhackers have left the translation scene like Bongo` and Dark Force. As well as many fan translators too such as those in DeJap Translations back in the early 2000s.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:25 pm 

Does Dynamic Designs have a Discord server? Some people hanging around SNES Development Server discord have expressed interest in helping with the hacking in various capacities, making tools and whatnot.

For clarification: is there difficulty with the hacking, or is WildBill just tied up atm?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:09 am 
Site Admin

Both things, in a way. Wildbill is still on hiatus and our lead romhacker, Bongo` has left the hobby and group for quite some time now. With the tools that he has left behind, most if not all of the currently active projects will be released in some form or another. However, it's rather unlikely that any new future projects will be started. Unless of course, a new dedicated main romhacker desides to join up along with whatever translators are needed for said possible games. This too, also depends on whether the current core members here actually wish to continue or not. I certainly can't speak for anyone else here besides myself, so we'll just have to wait and see what Taskforce and Wildbill have to say about this. As long as I have the free time and can still be helpful in some way, I'll definitely stick around to help out however I can.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)