Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Translation request if possible
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:06 am 

taskforce wrote:
How many people are really clamoring to play Akazukin Cha Cha (besides me.)

I was infatuated with that game time ago. But over the years, there have been some games that I stopped caring about, couldn't say why. For instance, some years ago I craved to play "Star Ocean Blue Sphere", but after waiting and seeing that its translation project didn't get updated in a long time, I gradually lost interest in playing it. Same thing happened with a few other games such as Samurai Shodown RPG.

Currently, most rpgs I still have interest in playing are snes ones, I think there are still a few decent ones that would be nice seeing translated someday. For instance, there's Idea no Hi, Shin Momotarou Densetsu, Jungle Wars II, the aforementioned Verne World and the Last Battle (this last one and Jungle Wars II look like games that Transcorp could have picked up, as they're very similar in style to Heracles IV or Wozz. Sadly, I don't even know if they're still active. Seems like the last project they did was Tenshi no Uta).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:21 am 
Site Admin

There's still quite a few good untranslated SNES games left to tackle. Just look at my top recommendations list thread. :lol:

On a more serious note, this liberal obsession with ganging up and harassing anyone who doesn't agree 100% with them is becoming an ever more increasing problem everywhere. Just take a look at these following three articles that I've found on the web to see just how badly Tom was persecuted because of the Goemon translation (which by the way, was translated accurately according to the original Japanese script):

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2020/01/goemon-fan-translator-says-he-cant-continue-after-being-harassed-by-sjws/101871/
https://reclaimthenet.org/goemon-translator-quits/
https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/01/28/goemon-3-fan-translator-cant-continue-quits-after-receiving-harassment-for-accurate-translation/

These morons are completely and utterly nuts. Those articles are right when they say to never submit nor apologise to these liberal freaks. These damn snowflakes don't even know what they're complaining about half the time. The liberal inquisition seems to think that they speak for everyone.

Edit: There is currently no retranslation of Terranigma available, but there are some patches which can change the font and increase gameplay speed (from PAL to NTSC). These can be found at RHDN:
https://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=&game=897&category=&perpage=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:28 am 

I just wouldn't cave into the pressure if I was in the business. One of the reasons I want to play Verne World in English is the cool final boss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4rJAB6RPdY&t=352s Tom could've probably avoided all that nonsense if he used a less-offensive word. Then again, people will always find something to complain about. I would feel a lot better about this if somebody was translating Verne World.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:16 am 

JeffCotten1989 wrote:
I just wouldn't cave into the pressure if I was in the business. One of the reasons I want to play Verne World in English is the cool final boss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4rJAB6RPdY&t=352s Tom could've probably avoided all that nonsense if he used a less-offensive word. Then again, people will always find something to complain about. I would feel a lot better about this if somebody was translating Verne World.

Yes, I think the complaining part was unavoidable. In my case, being from Spain, I didn't even know "tranny" was so offensive (I'm aware of the "N-word", though). In fact, I thought it was just a diminutive like "buddy" or "doggy", so imagine my surprise when people started complaining.

I'm still shocked that Tengai Makyou Zero didn't raise any controversy, judging by some things you can find in that game (women aren't very well portrayed in that game, judging by the mini-game about "getting a girlfriend in every city" or the brothels you can visit where every woman just wants to get as much money from you as she can).

About Verne World, that final boss is... interesting. Have you seen the final boss in Gokinjou Boukentai? It's also quite mindblowing. From what I could see from that final boss, that game seem to have a huge plot twist later in the game or something similar (I haven't watched it very carefully so as not to spoil myself, as I hope it gets a translation someday before I'm fluent enough in Japanese to play it myself, in about 40 or 50 years, lol).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:05 pm 

I've heard worse, and yeah, I seen it. It looks pretty cool. :) Due to the divine looking appearance, it reminds me of the final boss from GOD which is one of the most epic final bosses ever since you're fighting God himself. I love the fact that the music is done by the same guy who did Mystic Ark. (RIP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3qCQI2P2nE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:00 am 

tcaud wrote:
The Goemon thing was very regrettable and all the moreso in that it happened over a misunderstanding. However I think it's important to recognize that there is real fear behind the virtrol.

People are leaving the community now because they are growing old and hitting mid-life crisis point. They will probably return later but for now people are trying to cope. I certainly am myself... it's a challenge hitting mid-life in the digital era. We've all the been raised to be heroically aspirant but it's a vain aspiration because to feel dignity people must be their own saviors, the most we can do it help them overcome challenges in a way that is dignified (sometimes another's challenge is an opportunity to answer our own challenges but that's another topic).

At this point we are getting old and it really is time I think to step back and let younger people come to the fore. The Masai segment the lives of their males into 4 parts, the 2nd being "warrior" and the 3rd "retired warrior". We're all Khimari now and we must find ways to coexist with the younger Ronso. There are no doubt younger people curious about the old games and I think at some point if we're really exhausted and not wanting to continue we should say so because people with this interest are a very respectful dignified lot who respect others' space and intentions and who definitely don't enjoy duplicating others' work needlessly. There is nothing we can do about the aggression that has developed over the last couple years but it's just a symptom of larger issues so I think this is a pall that will pass, possibly sooner than you realize. Also people need to be discrete and careful... if you notice someone's got issues then stay away from them. Don't worry the community will be fine without them... people will participate because they enjoy the experience, no need to introduce unnecessary drama. Also people should be disabused of the notion that game hacking achieves anything other than creative expression and/or the satisfaction of curiosity, we'll all be happier that way.

In closing these games are all preserved and I'm sure they will be translated eventually.

EDIT: Apparently Tom is back in the swing of things and just released a ton of new Goemon game patches. https://twitter.com/DDSTranslation

It's really interesting all this about how the Masai see people's stages in life. I recall reading time ago about some meso-american or Inca civilizations having similar points of view in this regard.

I don't know if so many veteran members quitting is related to mid-life crisis, but the general toxicity that's permeating the scene (and the society in general) sure has a lot to do with this. I'm glad Tom decided to return, but that only leaves me thinking "how long until another 'incident' happens again to him or any other translator/romhacker?". The only thing I can do is keep forcing my brain into assimilate as much of the Japanese language I can until there's a day I no longer need to rely on the translation scene (if that day ever comes. With this language sometimes I feel as if I'm trying to destroy a concrete wall via headbutts).

I keep thinking the best and more sensible approach nowadays would be to modify the most popular emulators and implement some kind of "soft" translation feature that reduce to the minmum having to tinker with the innards of the game rom (it's a lot easier to find Japanese translators than seasoned romhackers). I know Retroarch currently does it, but the point would be getting the translation from a text file created by a person instead of handling the translation task to an AI that still doesn't offer satisfactory results and is prone to errors and nonsensical phrasing and mistakes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:28 am 

akualung wrote:
It's really interesting all this about how the Masai see people's stages in life. I recall reading time ago about some meso-american or Inca civilizations having similar points of view in this regard.

I don't know if so many veteran members quitting is related to mid-life crisis, but the general toxicity that's permeating the scene (and the society in general) sure has a lot to do with this. I'm glad Tom decided to return, but that only leaves me thinking "how long until another 'incident' happens again to him or any other translator/romhacker?". The only thing I can do is keep forcing my brain into assimilate as much of the Japanese language I can until there's a day I no longer need to rely on the translation scene (if that day ever comes. With this language sometimes I feel as if I'm trying to destroy a concrete wall via headbutts).

I keep thinking the best and more sensible approach nowadays would be to modify the most popular emulators and implement some kind of "soft" translation feature that reduce to the minmum having to tinker with the innards of the game rom (it's a lot easier to find Japanese translators than seasoned romhackers). I know Retroarch currently does it, but the point would be getting the translation from a text file created by a person instead of handling the translation task to an AI that still doesn't offer satisfactory results and is prone to errors and nonsensical phrasing and mistakes.

I am sorta worried about the toxic behaviour exhibited by so many people too, but it always passes, once people are bored enough to gang up on something else. The best way to deal with this is just not to use too much social media and focus on more practical stuff instead.

While this "soft" translation would probably be a good solution for now, I don't see that working all too well with how the community is structured. There aren't many raw scripts lying about at all, usually it's a team effort anyway, so if you translate something it will almost certainly be hacked. To be fair, there are games which will never be translated - mostly the ones with vertical text - so this could be useful for those in particular. My opinion is that we will get AI translation at some point for sure, but it will likely be military-grade stuff at first most likely. I mean, AI that could translate every major known language accurately in the blink of an eye probably won't be easily obtainable by an average Joe. Many people would also lose their jobs that way, as usual when new technologies take over, but that's inevitable regardless.

As for learning Japanese... well, it is a difficult language for most people who speak European languages, unfortunately. Wish anime and console gaming took off first in France, Spain or Italy instead, hahah. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:51 am 

UGH! twice my message got deleted as I posted here about D-D doing a 'Verne World' translation.. I cant be arsed with what I have to say about it now.. you guys probably wouldnt have liked what i had to say (or probably wouldnt have cared) any hows, dodged a hurricane there.. (me and you) LOL!

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:07 am 

SylarDean wrote:
UGH! twice my message got deleted as I posted here about D-D doing a 'Verne World' translation.. I cant be arsed with what I have to say about it now.. you guys probably wouldn't have liked what i had to say (or probably wouldn't have cared) any hows, dodged a hurricane there.. (me and you) LOL!

To say the truth, and as some DD members have stated in previous posts, I fear without a romhacker it will be very difficult to take on any new project (that's why I hope most emulator developers consider the alternative of implementing a "Retroarch meets Wanderbar" style of translation in their emulators).

About Verne World, this summer I tried translating the dialogs from the first minutes of gameplay (up until things start going haywire) using DeepL, and I have to say that a full translation of that game seems feasible with just a minimal knowledge of the language and relying on DeepL But of course, without a romhacker that has enough knowledge to expand the rom, decompress the script if it uses compression, and all these technical things I don't really understand very much, there's nothing to do.

Moreover, translating the full script would take a lot of time, which I do not have. It's a pity, because every time I've translated rpg dialogs with the help of DeepL to grasp the general meaning and then fixed things by myself here and there, I've enjoyed it IMMENSELY. Boy, I wish I could receive a monthly payment so I didn't need to work full-time for a living and spend all that time translating the huge backlog of jp-only snes and PCE games (translating the Tengai Makyou PCE games starting with TM:Manjimaru would be like a dream to me).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 am 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
UGH! twice my message got deleted as I posted here about D-D doing a 'Verne World' translation.. I cant be arsed with what I have to say about it now.. you guys probably wouldnt have liked what i had to say (or probably wouldnt have cared) any hows, dodged a hurricane there.. (me and you) LOL!

Verne World was Bongo`s baby, while I could probably get the files and text dump from him. I still wouldn't expect that project to ever go anywhere. Or if it did, it wouldn't be anytime soon. I want to get back to learning assembly, but I would want to use that to fix things we've already released and are going to release first and that is assuming I find or make time to do so. I have spare time now and then, but I won't lie my motivation after all these years is a bit lacking at times these days. We still have every intention of releasing what we have translations for. If and when we change that, we'll release it to public domain so someone can, but that shouldn't be an issue on most projects. I plan to do that at some point for Ranma 2 Gameboy actually.

Unfortunately, some of them might be out now but Wildbill really is buried with life changes and most projects are in his hands at this time. Heck, many projects left he even personally translated. Anyway, when he finds time, he'll be getting most of them out.