Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best rpgs for the GBA and DS (or psp)?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:28 am 

Not sure about other factors such as sprite limitations but you have to consider, I'm almost certain, GBA had better graphics capability than the Genesis (and in turn Sega CD, though I understand that as opposed to PCE-CD, the Sega CD did contain some extra graphics processing capability. Not sure how much it was actually used. But I do recall there was one game that made some pretty impressive 3D effects on the console. Surely that has become one of the pricer games now, but I forgot the name.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Lunar is better on Sega CD than any other system IMHO. One main reason alone makes me say this. There are monster encounters on the overworld map, which means unlike the newer versions, the map isn't squashed down to a tiny little thing. Also, events are altered in the newer versions and not for the better. A VERY major event of the game was completely removed in newer versions The ending however is pretty much the same, the path getting there is not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:45 pm 

As I recall, the PS1 version only removed encounters on the world map but the GBA version reduced the overworld to a menu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:24 pm 

KingMike wrote:
As I recall, the PS1 version only removed encounters on the world map but the GBA version reduced the overworld to a menu.

Right. I don't remember very clearly because I played the GBA version quite a few years ago, but I think the overworld followed a very similar system to the one Grandia used (prefixed points on a huge map and you chose with a cursor where to go, moving there instantly). I've always found that system so-so (I can put up with it if the game's plot is good enough). But for me, a standard "nes/snes era" overworld in a jrpg is bliss.