Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Super Famicom RPGs blog
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:38 am 

I really think there's a small subset of games that are in a category of their own, shockingly bad to the point where it's hard to imagine the game was ever released. Light Fantasy is the king of these games, but I would also include Fist of the North Star 5, Dual Orb, Bazoe! Mahou Sekai, Cyber Knight, and 3x3 Eyes (it would escape this category if not for the ridiculous end-game glitch). Maka Maka comes very close as well.

I haven't played Secret of the Stars (and I won't) but it's hard to imagine it being as bad as these games.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 am 

kurisu wrote:
I really think there's a small subset of games that are in a category of their own, shockingly bad to the point where it's hard to imagine the game was ever released. Light Fantasy is the king of these games, but I would also include Fist of the North Star 5, Dual Orb, Bazoe! Mahou Sekai, Cyber Knight, and 3x3 Eyes (it would escape this category if not for the ridiculous end-game glitch). Maka Maka comes very close as well.

I haven't played Secret of the Stars (and I won't) but it's hard to imagine it being as bad as these games.

I played Secret of the Stars back in the day and I certainly liked it. Being able to control two parties at once was a nice and original touch. It played almost like a nes game which had to be quickly ported over to the snes.

I even replayed it around a year ago and I still found it fun and decent. Not among the greatest snes classics for sure, but certainly not among the worst ones as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 pm 

kurisu wrote:

Cyber Knight is not bad at all, once you get the hang of it. Plus it is short and can be beaten in under 10 hours. CK2 improves on CK in so many ways and I would recommend that one.

Dual Orb 2 is...meh, another very average game at least helped by the weapon crafting.
I hear Dual Orb is much worse though

Tecmo secret of the stars is painfully average. Not good in almost any meaningful way but it is not bad in any glaring ways either. I did come across a very odd and rare glitch, however (maybe you can see it on the snes gamefaqs board) which forced me to have to use a cheat code to aid me in beating the game. (I had to add back in an item that went missing from my inventory for no reason).

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/58 ... s/65201311

Bazoe! Mahou Sekai (Ancient magic) was another one of those rare cases where I got a glitch, do not even remember what it was but I had to use one code to help me pass the glitch and beat the game. I only use codes for 1. The rare glitch such as those two cases or 2. No random encounters for a bit (which hurts more than it helps but is sometimes needed when random encounters are just tooo much!)

The only other game that I can recall glitching was Fire Emblem 3, Book 2 where the Sagittarius orb went missing from my inventory so I used a code to ad that back in.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:58 pm 

Here's my two posts on Cyber Knight -- I thought it was absolutely terrible, but maybe if I had understood the system better I would have enjoyed it more.

https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/2 ... night.html
https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/2 ... art-2.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:29 pm 

I've played Secret of the Stars to the last dungeon many times as a kid, and I never had that glitch happen.
The only glitch I ever found was the potentially useful Decatas Government Office money glitch, which I years later tracked down the source to a missing control code in the English text.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:39 pm 

I actually found a good untranslated game -- Sword World SFC. It's short but I had a lot of fun with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:47 pm 

kurisu wrote:
I actually found a good untranslated game -- Sword World SFC. It's short but I had a lot of fun with it.

These days I'm revisiting some snes rpgs I played years ago, now that I've finished Last Bible III (which has turned out to be a great game in my opinion) and Tenshi no Uta (which was just ok. It had a good start but I feel the story fell flat a little as it progressed).

Well, back on track: I've replayed Dual Orb 2 and I think it still offers something. It clearly plagiarized FFVI when it comes to graphics and the mode 7 "airship flight" but perhaps that was a redeeming feature for the game, because I felt like playing some kind of low budget FFVI and it shook me with nostalgia.

Now I'm replaying Wozz. I didn't remember it had such cute graphics, it reminds me a lot of my beloved Daikaijuu Monogatari 1 and 2.

Glory of Herakles III will be probably next in my list.

Oh, by the way, I've started my first attempt at fantranslating a snes rpg, using Tomato's Wanderbar to translate all the plot related text in Jungle Wars 2. So far I've only translated the first half an hour of the game or so, as my Japanese level is not quite up to it yet and I'm having difficulties with an only kana game (too much ambiguity without kanji). When I've advanced a little I'll post here and/or in Romhacking.net the Wanderbar plugin for JW2 with the translated text. I'm still not sure if I'll reach very far in this attempt or if I'll need to stop and look for assistance. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:08 pm 

I'm playing a game now (Soul&Sword) which is decent. It's not great, but it's at least not a normal RPG -- it's a non-linear system that's implemented better than Romancing SaGa 1, although I'll be playing RS2 in two games so we'll see if RS2 stomps it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

kurisu wrote:
FYI: I took a look at Sword World since you seemed to speak highly of it. The idea of it seems really interesting. I made a video of my efforts to dump a script. I'm still in the process of IDing all the kanji, but I can probably at least dump the dialog text once I'm done. https://youtu.be/rwQn3iGu_Gg

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:23 am 

I would recommend Shin Momotarou Densetsu as well. It has some annoying NES-era holdover annoyances on interface and walking speed, etc. But it's a solid game aside from that.