Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: Super Famicom RPGs blog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:27 pm 

kurisu wrote:
I've heard that Dual Orb is very hard to hack -- this is a blessed favor to the community. This game is a piece of garbage and doesn't deserve a patch or any attention at all.

Has anyone here any knowledge about Jungle Wars 2? According to what I've been reading, many people consider it to be just a so-so rpg. I played the first part, Jungle Wars for the gameboy, a lot of years ago when I was in my early teens. I had plenty of free time and managed to beat that game without understanding a single word of Japanese, just doing trial and error all the time, being the first (and only) rpg I managed to beat entirely in Japanese. Apparently, Jungle Wars 1 is held in higher esteem than its sequel, being considered almost a classic.

Despite the general opinions about it, I hope to see JW2 translated someday. To old school jrpg enthusiasts, it could be a neat little rpg.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 am 

I played JW2 last month, here's the first post:
https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/2 ... ars-2.html

I thought it was decent -- the main problem I had was an absolutely insane encounter rate in the latter half of the game. It was to the point where I started to suspect an emulation bug although I have no proof of that. Other than that it has a lot of good stuff going for it and is a pretty good example of an early-era SNES game.

Of all the games I've played so far, I would say the only ones that deserve translation patches are Metal Max 2, Jungle Wars 2, and Benkei Gaiden. None of those are masterpieces, although Metal Max 2 has a lot of devoted followers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:23 pm 

I'm playing Silva Saga II now -- good choice for a project. It's not a masterpiece but it's a solid SFC-era game and has some fun aspects to it. I like seeing all the different messages when you search stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:53 am 

kurisu wrote:
I'm playing Silva Saga II now -- good choice for a project. It's not a masterpiece but it's a solid SFC-era game and has some fun aspects to it. I like seeing all the different messages when you search stuff.

Good thing it is translated already; IIRC it's a sequel to an FC game (which is pretty average all things considered), so this is likely the best game in the series. I'm curious about Madara 2 as far as the soon-to-be-played games on your project go, personally. The first game had one of the absolute best soundtracks on the FC, so I'm wondering what they brewed up in the sequel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:10 pm 

Yeah, I meant that DD made a good choice selecting it for a project. It's also pretty average, but with the crap I've been playing, I'm quite satisfied with an average game that has a smooth, usable interface.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:07 am 
Site Admin

kurisu wrote:
Yeah, I meant that DD made a good choice selecting it for a project. It's also pretty average, but with the crap I've been playing, I'm quite satisfied with an average game that has a smooth, usable interface.

I forget if I've already asked, but have you considered taking a stab at translating a script?

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:08 pm 

filler wrote:
kurisu wrote:

I forget if I've already asked, but have you considered taking a stab at translating a script?

I dabbled in fan translating a long time ago, but it's not something I'm that interested in, sorry. I would be fine seeing if I could answer questions your translators have, but not a wholes cript.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

kurisu wrote:
I dabbled in fan translating a long time ago, but it's not something I'm that interested in, sorry. I would be fine seeing if I could answer questions your translators have, but not a wholes cript.
Not many people are. Thanks for offering to take questions. Sometimes having someone familiar with a game can be invaluable when translating. I may take you up on that when I get around to Shinseiki Odesselya.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:24 am 

kurisu wrote:
I've heard that Dual Orb is very hard to hack -- this is a blessed favor to the community. This game is a piece of garbage and doesn't deserve a patch or any attention at all.

It'll probably happen at some point. I don't think the world will be satisfied until every SFC RPG is translated.

Though I'm not sure how it ranks to Secret of the Stars, considered the worst officially-translated game.
I'm probably quite generous when saying I'd give that game a thorough mediocre rating (maybe a 5 or at most a 6/10).
Yes, it might have the graphics, sound, gameplay and writing of a typical 8-bit game but it was at least thorough enough to play like an average 8-bit game. :)
(I actually rather like its music. Not the greatest on the SNES but still rather catchy.)
Probably would have been a rather passable game in 1991, but it was released two years after that in Japan, and in the US against Chrono Trigger.

I'd say the same about SD Gundam Gaiden: The Great Prophecy, which was released in 1991 and plays like a first-gen 16-bit game. Passable I guess, for a Dragon Quest clone before the actual 16-bit DQs were released. Slowly working on my dictionary-assisted translation to get something out at some point but it's definitely looking like an 8-bit era RPG. (ie, the story seems to be little more than a trail of hints to get through the game)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:16 am 

KingMike wrote:
kurisu wrote:

It'll probably happen at some point. I don't think the world will be satisfied until every SFC RPG is translated.

Though I'm not sure how it ranks to Secret of the Stars, considered the worst officially-translated game.
I'm probably quite generous when saying I'd give that game a thorough mediocre rating (maybe a 5 or at most a 6/10).
Yes, it might have the graphics, sound, gameplay and writing of a typical 8-bit game but it was at least thorough enough to play like an average 8-bit game. :)
(I actually rather like its music. Not the greatest on the SNES but still rather catchy.)
Probably would have been a rather passable game in 1991, but it was released two years after that in Japan, and in the US against Chrono Trigger.

I'd say the same about SD Gundam Gaiden: The Great Prophecy, which was released in 1991 and plays like a first-gen 16-bit game. Passable I guess, for a Dragon Quest clone before the actual 16-bit DQs were released. Slowly working on my dictionary-assisted translation to get something out at some point but it's definitely looking like an 8-bit era RPG. (ie, the story seems to be little more than a trail of hints to get through the game)

never quite understood the hate for sots. it was a decent jrpg. personally, i find arcana, lagoon and mystic quest worse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next