Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: KS project - Oct 2016: Spiritual 3D 'Advance Wars' remake
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:11 pm 

Oh man. This is looking good! This looks kinda like Nintendo's Famicom Wars or Advance Wars series and it is.
    Quote:
    TINY METAL is a turn-based tactics game inspired by Nintendo's Advance Wars Series.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... tiny-metal

The visuals are very simple and polygonal kinda like some of Double Fine's games (i.e. Massive Chalice) and Introversion Software's indie RTS games (i.e. Darwinia) but with a more modern 3D appearance. The level designs and props have that sort of 'prototyping' building feel or simulation foundation where you just populate a map with all these lovely muted colour-tone textures, props, buildings and finally moveable units. It's a bit like the Australian-made Syndicate-inspired 'Satellite Reign' game.

Guess who the scenario maker is? Hiroki Kikuta of Secret of Mana, Shining Hearts and Koudelka's fame!!! Hiro Inaba, the story writer, has also done I am Setsuna, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Arc the Lad, wow. Plus some other experienced game makers.

It's unfortunate that the project is shrouded by an unseemly but artistically great drawing thumbnail picture in the search page as peeking through the game's page peels off a lot more nice media & description content than you can chew! It's in arrears with less than half of the $50K funding goal with only 6 days to go. Although over 1000 backers have pledged into this project. So make hay and support this one if you want this sort of thing.

* EDIT (23/10/2016): Funding for this project was cancelled around the 19th of October, 2016 and as you can see the pledged amount before then was over $32,000; clearly not enough.

Last edited by ObiKKa on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: KS projects - From Mar 2016. Various 16-bit mostly RPG g
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:28 am 

And finally yet another SNES game project on Kickstarter. * Wait. Did I say "SNES" as in NOT "SNES-like" or "16-bit". Well, yeah, guess what. The team there is attempting to revive an unreleased SNES platformer called "Socks the Cat", which was very close to being released until its publisher unfortunately shuttered down their US offices in 1994. Looks not bad so far. Many of the more expensive tiers include a physical cart for this planned game at least. But fortunately there's a digital copy tier available for the backers. Yes, don't worry, check the custom FAQ - they'd obtained the rights to this game two years ago. Lots of good answers there. It's at almost just under the midway point to the $30K goal with 22 days to go - that's very good news!
They've also released a NES and Megadrive games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48 ... e-clintons

Partial excerpt; more follows in the KS page:
Quote:
Socks the Cat is the most anticipated unreleased video game of all-time. Ever. For any platform. Don't believe me? Grab some popcorn and "Google" it.

The premise was wacky yet simple. You play as Socks the Cat, or Socks as we affectionately call him. The ultimate pet of the 90's. The White House cat. The "First Pet" of the Clinton administration. Your mission? To fight your way through the White House battling all sort of enemies, including spies, Dobermans, protestors and satirical versions of famous political figures as end bosses. The game was set to be released on the ever popular, Super Nintendo Entertainment System or SNES in the early 90's.

The game was well received by some, disliked by others, but all agreed it was a great theme with excellent end bosses. Several publications reviewed the game but when the publisher closed its doors, Socks went missing. For years. And years. And years.

http://snescentral.com/article.php?id=0094 (A HUGE dossier on this game! By: Evan G. Last updated: April 1, 2012.)
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unrele ... grabs.html (11 OCTOBER 2016. News about this project. There are only a few backers, the total funding is very slowly climbing up. But I'm sure that the finish line will eventually be reached within 13 days to go.)
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/1 ... ickstarter (Damien McFerran. Tue 11th Oct 2016.)

* EDIT (09/11/2016): Oh, with about 15 hours to go till close of funding I saw that this project above was still hovering at the 98th percentile mark, which has stunned me a bit as I'd thought that it'd have quickly caught up to 100% a few days in advance. But with 9 hours to go I was gratified and you all should be (!) that Socks the Cat will indeed be funded and revived for the true SNES platform!

---

* EDIT (30/10/2016): Oh, another 16-bit like platformer on KS. It's called Beard Blade but it's built with a perhaps licensed modern engine so it looks kinda different from the SNES days. The graduation of colours have more dithering, there are probably more lighter colours than normal. But the level designs do look kinda good. The enemies' animations have that kind of Metal Slug flair! However unfortunately it's far under-funded with just over $15K pledged when it needs a massive $95K in total! Also it's far from finished, too. So this project will end tomorrow.

Partial excerpt from the Gameplay section:
Quote:
Beard Blade boasts all of the standard moves you’ve come to expect from the genre, though we've largely been influenced by the Wario Land series, Yoshi's Island, and Ristar - if you've played any of those games, you can expect a similar degree of varied abilities. You can glide, grab, throw, punch, climb, swim, crawl and more! We've even lifted the idea of timed-hits from Super Mario RPG when you jump on an enemy, which will make way for more skill-oriented challenges. Master these moves and your tour of Imp Isle will be a breeze!