Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What RPG series would you like to see revived most?
Suikoden 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Lunar 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Shadow Hearts/Koudelka 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Phantasy Star 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Arc the Lad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wild Arms 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Breath of Fire 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grandia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chrono Trigger/Cross 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Lufia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Earthbound/Mother 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Sakura Wars/Taisen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Albert Odyssey 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Legend of Legaia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Alundra 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Secret of Mana 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Magna Carta 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (feel free to post your other choice) 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9
Post subject: Re: Poll: What RPG series would you like to see revived most
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:15 am 

You should do a topic on ranking the various Final Fantasies. For me, Final Fantasy 8 is in the lower tier as well. The graphics were amazing for the system, but I didn't like the magic drawing system or the lack of items discovered in exploration. The weapon and equipment system was too spartan overall for my tastes. I still like Final Fantasy 8 better than 13 though.

I am really looking forward to Final Fantasy 15 from what I have seen so far.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:25 am 

I'll put my comment with spoilers because it's not really part of the thread itself...

Spoiler! :
From 1 to 9 I like and would replay when i feel like it. For example VII isn't my cup of tea, and 8 I find it a little over the top with the High schoolers and romantic triangles (Yes, even in a series with people suplexing trains and time traveling impossibilites), yet I still enioy them and find them good games even when I may like others more, but that's opinions for you, lol.

Besides, FF8 gave me Chicken-wuss, which i still quote today. It was FF8's Spoony Bard / Son of a submariner, in a sense.

But after the creator left (After completing 9), it went truly downhill for me.
I find 10 pretty bad, 10-2 it's even worse, 11 I never played so I can't comment on it, 12 is not bad but It seems more of a spin-off shoehorned into the main series (Although screw Vaan and Penelo), and the 13 trilogy is awful, even if Lightning Returns is a little bit better than the other two, and I didn't played 14 neither, but seeing how S-E had to apologize because how bad it was the first time they tried, well...

I end up enjoying far more some of the spin offs like Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy Tactics or the Chocobo Dungeon I named the other day than the main titles. For example I have 0 interest in FFXV (there's just nothing for me to care), but Final Fantasy Explorers strikes me as something I may like.

And then we have all the FF7 Prequels/Sequels. Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. I know FF7 was the point of no return (Except for 9, I guess, it was designed to go back to the roots of the series), but why so many games related to 7. Even 10 and 10-2 are related to 7's universe...

The only fun I had with games like Dirge of Cerberus was with a Let's Play from LP Archive:

http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII- ... -Cerberus/

I thank the author for transforming that game into something fun, although it still ruins a lot of things from FF7.
And the FF7 remake is a whole new can of worms by itself...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:02 pm 

I have to be honest here, i prefer FF8 over FF7 ANY DAY.. i'm gonna cause a riot here with my next comment..
sure 7 was a great game BUT it was broken in SO MANY places with story amongst other things, I just found
Cloud to be a mess of a character, a moody cross-dressing biatch, which was depressing. I just can't understand
why he's the most loved FF character of all time :( .. personally.. most of the characters back-stories from FF6(3)
had better stories that cloud's.. this is why FF6(3) will always be my fav one of them all.

This game needs the remake it deserves NOT FF7, could you imagine the opera scene with Celes in PS4 graphics?
OOOOOMMGGGG! that would be EPIC!

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

HAHA! I was not a fan of FF6 (3 US). It was only mediocre before the world change, then after it becomes a complete mess with no direction. It felt like someone did it as an afterthought and just limped it along to the ending. FF4 (2 US) will always be my favorite followed by poor maligned FF8. Then again, I'm not a big final fantasy fan overall, I definitely don't consider it the be all end all RPG series--nor Dragon Quest for that matter--like so many people do. There are several other series that I enjoy more. My favorite RPG company overall would have to be Game Arts. Poor Game Arts, I still really miss you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:47 am 

Quite a lot of people like FF5.. mainly because of all the jobs thing it has going for itself, its so diverse in how you can play the game each time, but I found the story behind it to be quite boring if im to be honest about it. I agree the fact that there is SO MANY more rpg games out there deserving more sequels or even remakes, i'd LOVE to also see "Zelda3" remade into a full 3D adventure.. that's also my fav zelda game of the whole series.. trust me, iv'e played them all, cant wait to get and try playing the new zelda that's getting it's release soon.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:14 pm 

Personally I would love to see Phantasy Star III remade and brought more in line with "canon". After Phantasy Star IV part 3 really needed a do-over with the proper team working on it. The generational hook and different paths/parties would add to replay value. But like I said looking at it with the current canon its messed up now.

Also a reboot and a proper Phantasy Star V could be an epic experience as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:08 am 

Sega has abandoned so many RPG series or altered them so dramatically from their original incarnations as not to be recognizable. Shining Force and Phantasy Star in their original forms have not been seen for about 20 years. I guess I can't mention Skies of Arcadia since there was only one, but I certainly wish they could bring some of these games back. Doing a complete Shining Force 3 for the 3DS or Vita would be nice.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:16 am 

Sega has abandoned so many series, period, lol.

About RPGs, a new Shining Souls would be nice too. The first one was adequate, and the second improved a lot over the first one, if they keep that trend the third would be awesome too, but of course, I don't hold much hope for companies like Sega, Konami, Capcom or Square anymore though, the people that made them shine have gone long since then. I don't trust the actual industry that much neither...

...Anyway, they are action RPG with some dungeon crawling touches (the first one mostly) with different classes set in Shining's Force universe. They feel like a cartoony and handheld version of Diablo, more or less...

A new Shining Force with the charm of the originals would be golden too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:11 pm 

well my view on Sega.. is that they've NEVER been a great company for releasing RPG games in general, they have very few compared to other
companies *cough* Nintendo *cough* coumes to mind. If your an RPG nut then Nintendo is the way to go for them.. not to say though.. Sega DID
achieve some great RPG releases though with the lack of the genre, so my hat goes off to them for at least giving us those few.

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:26 am 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
well my view on Sega.. is that they've NEVER been a great company for releasing RPG games in general, they have very few compared to other
companies *cough* Nintendo *cough* coumes to mind. If your an RPG nut then Nintendo is the way to go for them.. not to say though.. Sega DID
achieve some great RPG releases though with the lack of the genre, so my hat goes off to them for at least giving us those few.

Actually, that isn't true at all. Nintendo systems might have had more RPG's but definitely not Nintendo themselves. Sega was just as active if not far more so with RPG's for their various systems first party. Especially in Japan. Yes, they might not have been as active pulling in third party support in the 8/16 bit era but Nintendo wasn't very good at that themselves in the 32 bit era. And apples to apples with first party publishing, I'm pretty sure Sega would have many more than Nintendo even with all the Fire Emblems, Zelda's and Pokemon's they've released at this point. And at the end of the day, if you want to talk quantity per system, Sony probably wins that war. Though, I haven't done exact research to be sure (that's even assuming you count Pokemon as an RPG)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next