Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: the megami tensei games (SNES)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:20 am 

Im confused with these three translated games...

1. shin megami tensei.
2. shin megami tensei 2
3. kyuuyaku megami tensei

here's my question.. 1. and 2. are the first 2 games yes? or are they remakes of the first two from the Nes?
or are 1. and 2. original games made for the Snes and 3. is the remake of the Nes 2 games?

im thinking 1. and 2. are original games for the Snes ,and 3. is the two megami games remade for the snes
from the original Nes games and put into ONE rom pack.. is that right?

In ANY case.. should i play them as 1. 2. then 3. OR i could say play 3. straight off? I know 1. and 2. are linked
by a few decades in story and set in the same world.. its confusing me !!!! LOL!

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

Post subject: Re: the megami tensei games (SNES)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

These games (as well as Persona) are ones that I've considered getting into, but there just seems to be so many different versions and strange numbering that it's always confusing.. Nothing really to add to the thread except that I hope someone can answer your questions because I'd like to know, too!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:41 pm 

Draken wrote:
These games (as well as Persona) are ones that I've considered getting into, but there just seems to be so many different versions and strange numbering that it's always confusing.. Nothing really to add to the thread except that I hope someone can answer your questions because I'd like to know, too!

Okay, I did some digging around on the net.. apparently the nes and snes series goes like this...

Nes - "Megami Tensei 1" (1987) and "Megami Tensei 2" (1990).. are really called... "Digital Devil: Megami Tensei 1 and 2" the translators
messed up the naming system there. Megami Tensei 1 game's stories used from the Digital Devil Story Novels. Whilst Megami
Tensei 2 game's story was just set in a made up post-apocalyptic world.

Then the spin off series began with the Snes two games..

Snes - "Shin Megami Tensei 1" (1992) and "Shin Megami Tensei 2" (1994). SMT2 is set 30 years after the first game.

After the release of Shin Megami Tensei II, Atlus began focusing work on building spin-offs and subseries that would form
part of the Megami Tensei franchise and worlds.. these were... "Persona" Series, "Devil Summoner" Series, "Devil Survivor" Series,
"Last Bible" Series, "Devil Children" Series, "Majin Tensei" Series.

Snes - "Shin Megami Tensei IF" (1994) is a side story to the main "Shin Megami Tensei" story.

Snes - "Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei" (1995) was a remake of the NES two "Megami Tensei" games with better graphics, music, and a more
indepth story to the original story used in the NES games.

Two notable stand-alone spin-offs are.. "Jack Brothers" AND "Gene Ibun Roku X FE", a cross-over with the "Fire Emblem" Series.

SO! the two on the Nes and "Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei" on the Snes are the Original series of games, and the other three on the Snes are spin-off games in the "Shin Megami Tensei" series.

MAN! that was a heavy read to get all that information.. LOL! hope that makes it more understandable Draken.

So to play them in Snes order, i'd most likely play them like this...

Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (the original NES two games remade)
Shin Megami Tensei 1 (snes original spin-off game)
Shin Megami Tensei 2 (Snes original spin-off game set 30 years after the 1st one)
Shin Megami Tensei IF (Snes original spin-off game, side story to the two games above)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:07 pm 

Good luck if you're attempting to play these games.
They're tough as hell.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:10 am 
Site Admin

Tough as hell, eh? Thank god for cheats, then :)

Thanks for all the info! That was quite a read!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:07 pm 

I was researching the Youtube channels that cover game retrospectives to add to my channel for regular research (Coz them videos are lovely!). And I came across this very new series video on the Shin Megami Tensei series. So I thought 'What if this D-D forum has some SMT game thread(s)?' Well, looks like I just got very lucky as I came into the RPG Chit-Chat sub-forum here and found TWO threads pertaining to the series and SMT 2 on the SNES! So I chose here to put up the video here for all your enjoyment! The same Youtuber also has a Persona series video.

Comment: Regarding what someone else, Maeson, said in the SMT 2 thread about there being too much 'love' or 'praise' for the entire SMT series, spin-offs and all, because of a certain level of 'fan-boyism' for it, yeah I can see what he means. I think that is certainly almost agreeable. It's not like we all totally have to play only Atlus' SMT universe every year where there are plenty of fresh, original RPG games and series coming from the competitors all over the world.

* DidYouKnowGaming?'s channel (He also has videos for Final Fantasy, Earthbound, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG and several other SNES games.)
Playlist: Did You Know Gaming - The Complete Series (190 videos. Last updated on 02/10/2016.)
Shin Megami Tensei - Did You Know Gaming? Feat. Gaijin Goombah (Aug 12, 2016)
Persona - Did You Know Gaming? Feat. Boku No Eruption (Aug 23, 2015)

Super Nintendo (SNES) - Did You Know Gaming? Feat. ProJared (Jul 23, 2016)
Sega Genesis (Mega Drive) - Did You Know Gaming? Feat. Boku No Eruption (Apr 11, 2015)