Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Final Fantasy 5 (Steam)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:51 pm 

SO.. it's finally here.. Final Fantasy 5 on Steam.. i'm 4(ish) hours into the game and already
there seems to be problems..

1. Graphics/tilesets not lining up properly, like not fitting together properly.
2. GOD AWFUL sound effects.. sea waves, wind, dragon's yell noise, sound REALLY BAD.
3. The mix of different art styles really makes the game look stupid, the char chat box portraits
and character sprites are so bad and clash with each other it practically makes my eyes bleed.
4. There seems to be a battle bug that if you have it set to memory, (so it remembers what you
chose in the previous round), after a few rounds one of your characters remembered choices will
have changed automatically to say like onto "Row", "Items", "Defend".. etc. a pain in the ass if you
just want to mash one button for say "Attack".
5. The difficulty seems to be ultra easy... i wiped the "Siren" boss in like 6 hits.
6. Monk class is STILL STUPIDLY OP! tho that's not a MAJOR issue as that class usually is any hows.
7. There's NO FMV sequences... like the PS1/PSX version.
8. The music breaks up and glitchy every now and then.

Quite disappointing atm what they have done to this version.. I thought this was meant to be the
best version to date they were going to give us... man, who are THEY trying to kid? it is possibly
the WORST version I have ever played.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

Last edited by SylarDean on Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy 5 (Steam)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:12 am 
Site Admin

Wow... Sounds like a pretty terrible port! I played/beat the same version when it came out for iOS, and I don't remember having any real issues with the game aside from the portrait/sprite colors being totally inconsistent. I know that they are trying to do us a favor by incorporating Amano's original art, but its just ridiculous when the portrait and sprites have totally different hair color :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:07 pm 

Draken wrote:
Wow... Sounds like a pretty terrible port! I played/beat the same version when it came out for iOS, and I don't remember having any real issues with the game aside from the portrait/sprite colors being totally inconsistent. I know that they are trying to do us a favor by incorporating Amano's original art, but its just ridiculous when the portrait and sprites have totally different hair color :roll:

yeah they should have atleast changed the character sprites to fit the Amano art style... OR.. made the character
portraits to an anime/cartoony look, hopefully the steam hacking community will get on this and change stuff in
patches. Some of the music sounds tinny or like as if its in a tunnel or something.. its bad :/ I know the reason
why they have done this to the characters... well, i think it's pretty obvious.. they are preparing us for the bad
release of ios FF6 :(

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:23 pm 

Bad and lazy ports are not that weird coming from Square/Square-Enix. Most of the SNES ports to PS1 were pretty poor (Most infamous where the LOOOAAAD TIIIIMEEEES even in battles). Most of the IOS ports are kind of mediocre, inconsistent and lifeless if you played the originals. Menus look like from a different game or an OS, and visuals depends on what game is, but most of the 2D ones look pretty bad.

I mean:

This is generic RPG Maker level. NES games have more style than this.

...Sorry if I sound too Cranky (Kong), but let's say that you get tired of so much bullshit after so many years, even more if you liked both companies back then.

Although, to be honest, that's a pretty huge list of flaws, even for S-E standards... I mean, I know they don't care, like, at all, but you know, the least you can do before release something is be sure it that appears to be working. I'm not even asking for it to BE working, just... pretend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:29 am 

There are actually a lot of RPG Maker games that look better than this Final Fantasy 5 version. Certain RPG Maker versions were better than others though. I think the XP version is the one that has quite a bit of variety for graphics.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:22 am 

ultpaladin wrote:
There are actually a lot of RPG Maker games that look better than this Final Fantasy 5 version. Certain RPG Maker versions were better than others though. I think the XP version is the one that has quite a bit of variety for graphics.

i used "rpg maker XP" for many years, and the issue with that program is the bigger your project grew... the more issues you had
with scripts not working, bugs happening etc.. i worked on my own project for like 5 odd years, on and off, and it was growing into
a great game until problems stared to happen cos the game size was huge.. bugs happened that caused the game to NOT load,
among other problems.. I started that project again back last year after buying "RPG maker XP" AGAIN on steam as it was on sale
for really cheap so I thought well lets see if they have stuff sorted in THIS release and low and behold.. I did not even get 1/4 a way to
the size of my original project and bugs and issues started happening again...

I was THAT dedicated on my original project that I had even had a professional musician make tracks for me that I payed for.. I believe
it was 22/23 tracks in total to the point at where I was in making the original game... which if i remember correctly i payed like $30 for 5 tracks at a time that we both collaborated on in terms of what type of music i wanted, adding little things into certain parts of the songs she had created for me.. etc.. she was a very talented musician.

Eventually I gave up cos of ALL the issues cropping up all the time and restarting the project 3 times... I strangely find myself looking at OTHER game maker programs often, gutted on the fact of all the time wasted, BUT i just do not know if I could put myself through all that again and the same thing happens, I still have all those tracks i payed for also.. didn't give them away or sell them.

Here's my original project thread... http://www.yolkfolk.com/bb/showthread.p ... ESS-THREAD
I believe there's a demo there also that you can still download.. http://www.yolkfolk.com/site/games.php?game_id=195 My second attempt at the project seen better mapping as I switched to paralax mapping. I didnt start a new thread for the second attempt of making the game :( and my mapping had improved like 500% lol in the second time around.

BUT... among all that junk i just typed, which was totally off topic, i agree tho that the tilesets were plenty with the fanbase and spriters of "RMXP".. some of the spriters were VERY talented.. and YES! the new FF5 Steam version DOES look like it's been made with an rpg maker program.. lol. Shortly AFTER giving up on the second attempt of remaking my project, i started my NEW project.. "Snes RPG Gaming".. :)

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:48 am 

ultpaladin wrote:

Yes they are, and look much better, that's why I said "Generic RPG Maker". People that put effort on RPG Maker usually create their own sprites and sometimes styles. The IOS ports look like they were intended to look bad.

But even then, a big company has no business in making something look so dead and uninteresting, when little guys can kick their asses without resources in that regard...